very annoyed with my husband - he's training Kylie to harass him while eating - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Feed the dog BEFORE your husband.
Make him wait and beg for his food.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #22 (permalink)

My husband does the exact same thing! Haha! Ours knows that if he wants something I have, he has to plant his butt on the floor nearby and not touch me until I'm done eating, and then maaaaaybe he'll get a bite, if it's something dog-friendly. If my husband has food, he's immediately got a 70lb puppy half in his lap trying to snatch things off his plate (we're eat-on-the-sofa people, even though we have two dining tables in the house!). My reply is always "Tell him to sit." I think the problem is husbands don't always have the patience to stop eating, get up, move the dog away, put him in a sit, go back to eating, correct "ah-ah!" if he moves, rinse and repeat until the dog learns. Husbands just want their dinner.
ireadbooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We have a simple rule nobody gets anything until we are finished eating. Apache never begs or feels he needs to be close. Kiya doesn't beg but she must lay by my chair, just in case anything might fall on the floor. Lakota is following in Kiya's paws, she's even tried to take over Kiya's spot. Our problem is hubby feeding the kitty, he waits till we're done eating but kitty doesn't grasp that concept. So kitty gets into a frenzy and starts clawing hubby's leg, I just smile.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My husband also used to guilty of feeding the dogs from his plate,but stopped once he saw that they always pestered HIM and nobody else when it was dinner time. I'm glad he figured it out on his own.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

I'm putting Kylie in her crate whenever my husband is eating downstairs. The rest of us can eat downstairs (even on the sofa) without much of a problem because we have never given her food from our plates.

She is still relentless around my husband though. I forgot to put her in her crate before we started eating tonight and she immediately started going after my husband for food. I put her in her crate until he was done and then let her out again.
AngieW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.