very annoyed with my husband - he's training Kylie to harass him while eating - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

I have this problem too. But it's my MIL not my husband. She feeds her dogs EVERYTHING. Her 2 weenie dogs actually sit in her lap while she eats and when she isn't paying attention they grab stuff off her plate!! First time one did it to me, he got scolded and I got a dirty look from the MIL. Now with the new puppy, I told her NO PEOPLE FOOD! No matter what. Not that I mind a few scrapes, but she feeds everything. Her dogs get onions and chocolate, grapes, etc. It's a wonder they're still alive. Now that I hijacked your thread, (sorry) Good luck training your hubby!! LOL

Rex - male GSD
Smudge - male Black Lab
Butters and Frank - the kitties
DFrancis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

lol dont have this problem. those furballs gets scraps sometimes but they don't beg. They usually go hang out in their crates or they flop down and start snoring, completely disinterested in what we have.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA, RATI 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieW View Post
Now he encourages Kylie to harass him while eating by giving her little nibbles of his food while he's eating. Then he gets mad when she keep harassing him. So he gives her another nibble. And then he gets madder that she harasses him even more.
He has no right to be mad at her - he created that monster! Surely he realizes this? He's basically trained her to beg by rewarding her for doing so. Behavior that is rewarded will continue, so unless he stops feeding her from the table she's not going to stop harassing him for food, and it's unfair of him to expect her to. I know you know that, but it can be frustrating getting that across to other people in the household.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I would give him his plate with dog food on it and tell him to feed it form the table.... and offer his dinner in the dog bowl (make sure it is safe for Kyleigh to eat, in case she accesses it).
Good luck training your husband.

Wrong Kyleigh LOL ... this is Kylie ...

I don't have a husband to undo all my training ... thank you lord!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
x11
Banned

i see what is going on here - this poor man is being straight victimized.

come on ladies he is the man in the house he should get to do whatever he dam well pleases and the ol' lady should just smile thru it......OK leaving now.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ugh. I know the feeling. My parents were horrible with that and it resulted in my first dog stealing an entire, uncooked roaster chicken from the counter. Finn isn't much of a beggar to begin with, but we give him "busy treats" during dinner and/or dinner prep and he'll ignore us, even after the treat is gone.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

It is tough when families (pack members) is divided and are not on the same program. It contributes to the dog assuming the leadership role. Then you have big problems. If hearing it from a professional will help your husband in setting limits and boundaries, I suggest you contact a good professional in your area. You can find a good professional trainer by using this directory. Index
good luck
SFGSSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh my word I have the same problem. Sasha and I pretty much live by ourselves, but we spend the occasional weekend, and most holidays, with my mom and my brother. They LOVE to feed Sasha from the table. No matter how many times I've said no, they still do it. They now have my extended family doing it as well, and then everyone gets annoyed when she's at the table giving them "the eyes". Grr.... One thing that worked (semi well) for me is to teach her the "go lay down" command. This is different than her normal down command. Normal "down" means where you are lay down. Go lay down means leave the kitchen/dining area and lay down in the living room. Yes, you end up being the bad guy, but if it's important enough to you then that's ok.

I will say I did squirt my brother (he's only two years younger than me, so it's not like he's a little kid) in the face with a squirt bottle one day. I left for spring break and she was too afraid of others for me to bring her with me. I actually wouldn't have gone except I already had it planned before I even thought about getting her and I felt bad backing out at the last min (I go to see relatives, one of whom considers me her daughter). So I left the girl with my mom and brother. When I came back, suddenly she was begging from the table. So, that's when I instituted the "go lay down" command. So I had told her that, and she did, but then while I was talking to my mom she manages to sneak by me, unnoticed, to where my brother was sitting and con him into giving her food from the table. I realized it and went to grab the squirt bottle (that was sitting at the table next to me) and she was gone in a flash. He (my brother) was sitting there smirking so I squirted him in the face and said, "no!". LOL Not as effective as squirting the dog.

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Put less food on your husbands plate

If he gets up to get more start eaing his food

Poke him with a fork each time he gives the dog food off his plate

If training fails time for him to sleep alone for a while if you know what I mean
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
i see what is going on here - this poor man is being straight victimized.

come on ladies he is the man in the house he should get to do whatever he dam well pleases and the ol' lady should just smile thru it......OK leaving now.
Husband? Is that you?
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.