Waste of time - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Waste of time

Kai is not fully leash trained. He will walk 80% okay about 70% of the time (sorry for the percentage )

I used early Xmas money to fund for a trainer as my knowledge didn't help. E both were a waste of time. Did not like the first trainer even tho he was recommended. I reported him. Second was quite good but by this time I only had enough money for 2 hours. It was going to take more then this. I asked the guy if he could tell me what to do next so I could do these at home. He said do what we've done this lesson ( gently pull the lead and praise the dog when he follows ect). I asked him what about after that. He said he count tell me that cos then he'd be loosing business and smiled cheekily

Kai's pulling isn't like a sled dog would pull. He just walks in front with a tight leash. It's isn't all the time. Also he can not walk in groups. When it's him and more then 1 person he pulls and jumps and walks left and right.

Can any one tell me any simple techniques I can do at home in order to keep this under control ?

He's 8 months and I'm 17, don't have a job (ie training money problem) I was told to buy a non pull harness but I don't believe that it teaches the pup not to pull, just makes it impossible for him to plus its not a permanent solution

Any one help?
dylano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Leash Walking Ahimsa Dog Blog

Pretty good article on loose leash walking and how to work through it and why a no-pull harness is a tool to use while training not to pull.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I am using a prong collar with Gus and it works wonderfully. My trainer told me how to use it properly and when he has it on for a walk it goes from pulling and jumping and crossing sides of me to walking right beside of me.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus View Post
I am using a prong collar with Gus and it works wonderfully. My trainer told me how to use it properly and when he has it on for a walk it goes from pulling and jumping and crossing sides of me to walking right beside of me.
Prong collars are illegal in the uk
Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Grab your leash, put it on your dog and go sit down. When the dog pulls, gently pull the leash back. When the dog releases the pressure either by backing up, coming back to you, etc, reward him. This will teach him to release to pressure. You don't need to say a word. Just click and treat (it will help if you have a clicker)

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Prong collars are like power steering for dogs. Wish I had used one years ago. I always thought they were cruel until it was explained to me that more damage can be done by a dog pulling on a flat collar to the throat than learning to walk beside you with a prong collar .

I always thought they looked like torture devices until I started using them. All three of my dogs and me are considerably happier on our walks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ps prong collars are not illegal in the uk . E collars are though .

Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
Leash Walking Ahimsa Dog Blog

Pretty good article on loose leash walking and how to work through it and why a no-pull harness is a tool to use while training not to pull.
This is a great article. I also want to share a very simple, easy-to-follow video that I really like:
It covers the basics of training loose leash walking in a clear way, with demonstrations.

Using a no-pull harness or a headcollar is very useful if you're struggling to control your dog, but if you just throw it on them and don't train them, then you're right that it won't teach them anything. It's just a tool to help you train your dog without physical struggle, or to allow you to take the dog necessary places (like if you have a vet appointment before you get this training solid) without the dog practicing pulling on you.

Legal or not, I would not recommend a prong collar to someone who is presumably training their first puppy (judging by your age) and working without a trainer. I have no problems with them when they're used correctly, but I think that can be difficult to learn without an experienced person teaching you, and used incorrectly they at best don't teach the dog anything, and at worst can lead to behavioral problems and physical injury. No-pull harnesses have little risk of injury (headcollars can cause injury if your dog bolts and hits the headcollar at high speed, pulling him around by the head, which is part of the reason many trainers I know recommend no-pull harnesses instead) and it's hard to have much user error with them.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 01-09-2013 at 04:11 PM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Ps prong collars are not illegal in the uk . E collars are though .

Not sure if you live in the uk or not, but pets at home (uks major pet supplier) can not stock them. Ive asked and tried many different stores

ive been to smaller pet stores and the same responce. They dont stock them
Old 01-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

This has never failed me. Even dogs that were not my own.

Does Your Dog Pull on Leash?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.