Waste of time - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyAway View Post
This has never failed me. Even dogs that were not my own.

Does Your Dog Pull on Leash?
'Be a tree' haha thanks for the link, will deffo do this on our next walk
dylano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Prong collars are like power steering for dogs. Wish I had used one years ago. I always thought they were cruel until it was explained to me that more damage can be done by a dog pulling on a flat collar to the throat than learning to walk beside you with a prong collar .

I always thought they looked like torture devices until I started using them. All three of my dogs and me are considerably happier on our walks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
My dog can finally get the exercise he needs thanks to a prong. Definitely a lifesaver. And I thought they were inhumane and hurtful. Until I did my research.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylano View Post
Not sure if you live in the uk or not, but pets at home (uks major pet supplier) can not stock them. Ive asked and tried many different stores

ive been to smaller pet stores and the same responce. They dont stock them
I'm English but live in Canada now. I'm sure the reason they don't stick them is probably perception not legal. You could just order from US or Canada and have it shipped to the uk.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A prong is a band-aid. Without proper training it will help you control your dog but not totally stop his want to pull. That being said, I used one for months, and still do when I need to "brush up" on some training exercises where I need to get through to him quickly and accurately.

What worked for me with the pulling was anytime he starts pulling you towards something, turn around and walk the other way. If he runs in front of you again and pulls, do the same, and keep doing this until the dog understands that HE goes where YOU go and not the other way around. Some people have been known to do this for hours on a walk...just taking 3 steps and turning around because their dog is pulling out in front of them. You'll look stupid doing it, but its a pretty successful method of training your dog not to pull.

And as to the instructor...most of them won't just give away a long lesson plan in one lesson because you can't afford to do the other lessons. Dog training is tough to do without an instructor unless you're already knowledgeable. The instructor is there to help you overcome the weekly problems you might come up with. Or if something you're trying to teach your dog isn't working, they might have another idea on how to teach it. I don't blame the guy for not telling you all of his secrets for a lifetime of dog training in 1 session. You need to get over the pulling thing first before you even think about moving on to other more advanced things.

Last edited by martemchik; 01-10-2013 at 11:51 AM.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.