Training a 6 wk old? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Training a 6 wk old?

Am I asking too much to try and start housebreaking a 6wk old? Someone had told me I was and should only be doing the "puppy pads" inside, but I really don't agree with that method. Rex has been doing real good the last 3 days, but he's having an "off" day. We've been putting him out as normal, but he goes out there and sometimes he goes and sometimes he just runs around, we let him in and he potty's in the house. Like now, I put him out, he peed, walked into the enclosed front porch and peed again. We went inside and I walked into the kitchen to get something to clean it up and instead of following me, he pooped in the L.R.
Also, I have to carry him outside at this point, we don't have many steps (Just one out the door and one out of the porch) - will this cause a problem in the future with him asking to go out? He can go up them, but not down.
I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Rex - male GSD
Smudge - male Black Lab
Butters and Frank - the kitties
DFrancis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would take him outside every hour, and let him stay out a bit after he's gone, because as you found out they usually go more than once! At this age, every hour during the day
and every 3-4 at night time. Take him to the same designated spot every time so he knows it's potty not play time. By 8 weeks, I bet he's asking to go out, but still every couple hours during the day is as long as I'd make him hold it.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't use puppy pads inside. It makes it that much harder to train to go Outside. Like previously mentioned take him out every hour, also as soon as he wakes up and right after he eats or drinks.
Also put your pup on a leash and walk him thru the same door to the same spot ever time. I like using the hang bell on the door also.
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with Jane. He isn't going to be able to hold it very long at that young age and needs more time, like she said outside. I wouldn't worry about having to carry him down the stairs but focus on getting him outside quick before he has an accident. Also are you using a crate? That would make it easier to carry him down the steps especially in the morning and also for the potty training. You just can't leave him in the crate too long.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
I agree with Jane. He isn't going to be able to hold it very long at that young age and needs more time, like she said outside. I wouldn't worry about having to carry him down the stairs but focus on getting him outside quick before he has an accident. Also are you using a crate? That would make it easier to carry him down the steps especially in the morning and also for the potty training. You just can't leave him in the crate too long.
Agreed totally. 6 weeks is not too young to begin housebreaking, but it is too young to expect the puppy to learn quickly. At that age they are just not physically capable of it. Keep in mind that at 6 weeks they should ideally still be nursing and totally dependent on Mom!

It is frustrating when your pup runs around outside having fun then pees inside 10 minutes later, but at that age they just can't hold it reliably. He might not have realized he had to go when he was out. If your pup was a human child, he'd be wearing pull-up diapers. He might sometimes be able to judge when he needs to go, but other times he might just not be able to hold it for even a few minutes. Bladder control is a learned skill.

I don't like pee pads for puppies of any age either. They do make it harder to train the dog to go outside, because even without a residual smell (which is debatable), the dog will be used to urinating inside. I would just stick to good puppy housetraining methods and resign yourself to cleaning up more accidents than you would if you had a puppy who was a month or so older.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyDogs View Post
Agreed totally. 6 weeks is not too young to begin housebreaking, but it is too young to expect the puppy to learn quickly. At that age they are just not physically capable of it. Keep in mind that at 6 weeks they should ideally still be nursing and totally dependent on Mom!

It is frustrating when your pup runs around outside having fun then pees inside 10 minutes later, but at that age they just can't hold it reliably. He might not have realized he had to go when he was out. If your pup was a human child, he'd be wearing pull-up diapers. He might sometimes be able to judge when he needs to go, but other times he might just not be able to hold it for even a few minutes. Bladder control is a learned skill.

I don't like pee pads for puppies of any age either. They do make it harder to train the dog to go outside, because even without a residual smell (which is debatable), the dog will be used to urinating inside. I would just stick to good puppy housetraining methods and resign yourself to cleaning up more accidents than you would if you had a puppy who was a month or so older.
6 week old pups are usually just weaned and eating on their own...mom isn't into the sharp puppy teeth on her so will stay away from them for longer periods of time and they are capable of eating soft food. Though they are dependent on the litter-mates for interaction/ learning social dog manners...important time in a puppy's development.

OP~You may want to check the bite inhibition sticky in the puppy forum. Biting issues will probably be your next question.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

My pup just turned 7 weeks old yesterday. We brought him home at 5 weeks 3 days (long story). I started potty training the second we walked in the door. I carried him outside probably 3-4 times an hour. I always carried him because if he had to walk the length of the house to get to the door, he might have an accident on the way. Every accident in the house is a step backward. You want to get a carpet/hard surface cleaner that eliminates the odor really well, because the trace of elimination scent helps the puppy identify that area as a potty area. If he does have an accident, catch him as quickly as possible, and put him outside. Don't let him see you clean up the mess. I did this, along with keeping an eye on him at all times in the house, and instead of picking up all droppings from the yard, I kept a few piles out in his area for him to refer to (I noticed that he sniffed where he had gone to the bathroom, and he would go almost immediately afterwards). Just keep this routine going and pay attention to his body language before, during, and after he goes outside. Now, at 7 weeks, my puppy is running to the door and whining when he needs out, and coming back to sit in front of the door right when he's finished. I still keep a very watchful eye on him inside, and continue to offer him potty breaks throughout the day when he isn't asking. Because we were so intent on keeping elimination outside of the house, it's second nature to him that outside is the only place for it, and that it is unacceptable to soil the living area.
FretFox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FretFox View Post
My pup just turned 7 weeks old yesterday. We brought him home at 5 weeks 3 days (long story). I started potty training the second we walked in the door. I carried him outside probably 3-4 times an hour. I always carried him because if he had to walk the length of the house to get to the door, he might have an accident on the way. Every accident in the house is a step backward. You want to get a carpet/hard surface cleaner that eliminates the odor really well, because the trace of elimination scent helps the puppy identify that area as a potty area. If he does have an accident, catch him as quickly as possible, and put him outside. Don't let him see you clean up the mess. I did this, along with keeping an eye on him at all times in the house, and instead of picking up all droppings from the yard, I kept a few piles out in his area for him to refer to (I noticed that he sniffed where he had gone to the bathroom, and he would go almost immediately afterwards). Just keep this routine going and pay attention to his body language before, during, and after he goes outside. Now, at 7 weeks, my puppy is running to the door and whining when he needs out, and coming back to sit in front of the door right when he's finished. I still keep a very watchful eye on him inside, and continue to offer him potty breaks throughout the day when he isn't asking. Because we were so intent on keeping elimination outside of the house, it's second nature to him that outside is the only place for it, and that it is unacceptable to soil the living area.
Also, be sure to use verbal terms every time you take him out. For example, I ask him "Do you need to go outside? Do you need to go potty?" before I take him, and "Go potty" once we get out there. When he goes, "Good boy, good potty." as a praise lets him know that he did what he was supposed to, and reacting to the question while still indoors, having you open the door/escourt him outside is what he needs to do when he gets the urge to eliminate. Some owners give treats when they come back inside as a praise. I, personally, refrain from doing so because it may lead to what I call a 'fake out phase', where the puppy/dog will get your attention, and act like he needs to go outside to go potty. When you let him out, he'll want right back in for a treat.
FretFox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
6 week old pups are usually just weaned and eating on their own...mom isn't into the sharp puppy teeth on her so will stay away from them for longer periods of time and they are capable of eating soft food. Though they are dependent on the litter-mates for interaction/ learning social dog manners...important time in a puppy's development.

OP~You may want to check the bite inhibition sticky in the puppy forum. Biting issues will probably be your next question.
Well, there I go proving I've never bred dogs. Point still stands, though, that 6 weeks is young to be away from the family. Thanks for correcting me.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.