Suggestions please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Suggestions please

Karly has been with us for a week and a half. I have taught her to sit, lay down and shake. She picked all of these commands up in just a few minutes. She also knows that she has to sit at the back door before she will be allowed back into the house. She's a very smart girl!
I'm wondering if there is a certain order that I should be teaching commands? What should we work on next?
I plan on taking her to puppy class but she can't go until she has another Parvo vaccination. Also, vet said she would give her some of her other shots early if I am in a hurry to get her into class. Not sure about this but I do absolutely need to get her out with other dogs ASAP. We tried to get together with a neighbor dog but it didn't go well at all. That dog was not impressed with Karly's biting and roughness. Karly really, really needs a playmate other than her people (who are really struggling to deal with the constant biting!). We are seriously having a hard time wearing her out.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Cats - Cricket, Mickey, Spartacus, Tiger, Josie, Ashton, Lily, Drake, Cooper, Tucker & Hank
arby665 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Good for you for looking for some puppy classes. Keep looking too because sometimes they are initially hard to find, but once you link with a good trainer everything is easier.

There is a ton of great info in our Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums so make sure you spend alot of time there whether this is your first puppy or not.

Specially don't under rate the TRAINING aspect of --> Engagement - Key to Training it looks merely like play but definitely is NOT.

And if you haven't thought of --> Teaching a trick is the least important part of teaching tricks and --> Intro to Clicker Training (perfect for puppies!) pleased do so.

More basic training skills that will have value for you and the life of your dog.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would work on stay next, and maybe heel. For the exercise how much do you walk her? Is she just a little over 9 weeks?

Grizzpup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Work on her recall. I wish I would have started this early, it will be the most important thing she will learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you all so much for your replies. I will be looking into everything that you have suggested. Karly will be 11 weeks on Tuesday. We try to walk her several times a day but for the last few days the weather has not cooperated and she has only gotten one walk a day. We run laps around the pool several times a day so she doesn't have to be on a leash though she is doing really well on leash and no longer fights it. She likes to chase balls. I bought her a puzzle that can be configured in several different ways. It seems like that was a waste of money because she figured it all out in about 3 seconds. It wasn't much of a challenge for her at all. Although she is fed raw I bought a small bag of Innova and stuff it in her Kong. This keeps her busy for a little while. Between myself, hubby, and the 3 kids we try to keep her as busy as we can but she seems to get bored easily. Today we finally have some sun so she has spent a ton of time outside already today. And, no suprise, she is being the best puppy! I can actually walk around her and not get my feet attacked. So, I know she needs more to challenge her and that seems to keep her happy and worn out.
Cats - Cricket, Mickey, Spartacus, Tiger, Josie, Ashton, Lily, Drake, Cooper, Tucker & Hank
Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Today we finally have some sun so she has spent a ton of time outside already today. And, no suprise, she is being the best puppy! I can actually walk around her and not get my feet attacked. So, I know she needs more to challenge her and that seems to keep her happy and worn out.
We all definitely know that a good puppy is a tired puppy and that winter is difficult for us all. I get spring puppies to cheat and help. Nothing like a few more hours of daylight and mild weather as a help.

If you can find some puppy classes you'll be amazed how that also helps. The excitement of the car ride, new people and other pups along with the learning is great. Plus it gives you a ton of things to practice for the next week.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
If you can find some puppy classes you'll be amazed how that also helps. The excitement of the car ride, new people and other pups along with the learning is great. Plus it gives you a ton of things to practice for the next week.

What do you think about doing early vaccinations? Karly is scheduled for Parvo on Jan 7th. This also happens to be the date the next puppy class starts. My vet said something about giving another vaccination early if I want her to. I think it was Bordatella? I really don't want her to have this earlier than she needs it if there is any chance of it harming her or not having the right effect. On the other hand, I don't want to risk her catching anything. I would really hate to have to wait until Feb to get her into the next puppy class. I'm not trying to rush it I just want her to be around other dogs as soon as possible. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has a pup to socialize her with.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would not give vaccines early.
Also, I have been told to wait a couple of weeks AFTER the last parvo vaccine before expecting the pup to have immunity. Just wait on the puppy class or miss the first couple of classes. You'll loose a lot more than a couple of weeks if your pup catches something.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 02:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I dont know if anyone mentioned it yet. but besides working on recall, it would be wise to start working her on the commands she already knows around distractions so she learns to listen in all situations.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
I dont know if anyone mentioned it yet. but besides working on recall, it would be wise to start working her on the commands she already knows around distractions so she learns to listen in all situations.

Thank you for your reply. Actually, Karly learned all of her commands with distractions which is partly why I am so amazed that she picked them up so quickly. It's pretty unavoidable around here to do anything without the cats walking around. They are her best audience! Also, the other people in the house are usually going about their business when I am working with her. I also stopped at the end of the street yesterday on our walk and did her commands a couple of times with dogs barking behind fences and cars driving by. That was a little tougher for her. She wanted to know where those dogs were at. Do you have any suggestions on other types of distractions I should be using?
So far I looked up Youtube videos to teach her commands. I will be looking up some more today as well as looking into the links provided for me yesterday. For now, I need to get Ms Barracuda out in the backyard to burn off some energy. She woke up full of piss & vinager this morning and already tore my brand new pants!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.