German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Scratching at Door (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/197137-scratching-door.html)

MN GSD Fan 12-27-2012 01:52 PM

Scratching at Door

Our pup will go sit nicely at the door when he needs to go outside, but if we are not out there the second he wants to go in he goes crazy on our glass sliding door. Now he is only 9 weeks old, but when we want to have the screen door open in the summer this will be a problem if it isn't corrected? Any info on how to correct this?

Jmm4 01-09-2013 01:22 PM

I'd be interested to hear an answer on this...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Lauri & The Gang 01-09-2013 01:40 PM

It sounds like he is trying to alert you to the fact that he has to go ... NOW!!

Try placing a string of bells on the door handle and train him to ring the bells to let you know he has to go out.

wolfy dog 01-09-2013 02:20 PM

My pups never get the freedom to decide when they want to get out. They are crated or leashed as long as they are not reliably house broken or not worked with.
Teaching them to ring a bell for to go out only tuns you into their servant. Some dogs will actually ring the bells whenever they feel like going outside or when they are bored and driving their owners crazy.

Jmm4 01-09-2013 04:43 PM

Actually I think the scratching at the door was when the pup wants IN not out. Mine scratches at the door really bad when she wants in and I can't stand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

RowdyDogs 01-09-2013 04:48 PM

I think you're saying that after you let him out, he goes crazy wanting to come in, right?

I've only dealt with this once, but I taught that dog to stop doing it by refusing to open the door until he stood quietly. I'd make sure he could see me through the door, and if he was standing quietly, I'd walk towards it to let him in. If he jumped, I'd immediately stop and turn away, then as soon as I could hear that he was quiet again, I'd resume my progress to the door. Rinse and repeat for every step, including touching the door handle (or whatever you call it on a sliding door). I would leave my hand on the door and just turn my body away, though. If he's doing this even when he can't see you, be sure to wait until he's quiet before you make a move towards the door. It might take awhile to tire himself out, but he'll give up eventually.

It took like 30 minutes to be able to let my dog in the first few times, it was ridiculous--so be sure that if you have a time crunch, you're outside with him. ;) And you have to be really consistent and do this every time. But it worked pretty quick with my dog--after the first few times he jumped noticeably less, and after about two weeks he stopped altogether.

Not sure what to do if that doesn't work, but it worked for me. :)