Housebreaking while at work - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Housebreaking while at work

My wife and I just recently got an 8 week old male white shepherd. I currently have 2 other adult male dogs that are fully housebroken and are free to roam the house during the 10 hour work day. No accidents, no chewing, etc. My question is what is the best thing to do with the puppy while at work. During the night, he stays in his crate and I take him out in the middle of the night. Today is his first day at home alone while the wife and I work. I put him and his crate in the tiled bathroom floor. I kept the crate open for him and used a baby gate to block off the remainder of the bathroom. He currently has about 4ft by 4ft area of tile that will most likely be where he eliminates. I didn't put him in the crate because I know he can not physically hold it and I don't want him to soil his crate. I didn't put puppy pads down because I dont want him to get used to those and then rugs and carpet may become targets. I don't have anyone to let him out or to take him anywhere. When I am home, he knows exactly what to do outside, etc. We have had him for a week so far. I just don't want to give him the wrong message about housetraining. My hope is that he will see the tile floor as an accident rather than me putting paper or something down encouraging him to go there. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!
SampsonNeiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I used my "puppy proofed" kitchen for my puppies. A lot of people say never use paper or wee wee pads. I never had a problem using them. When Lakota was a puppy my husband was getting home early so she was only in the kitchen for about 7-1/2 - 8-1/2 hours a day. I'd leave the paper/wee wee pad down and believe it or not it didn't take long for her to hold it.
I never heard such a happy voice as I did when my husband would get home and not have to clean anything up.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Kiya, did you have some delays in the housebreaking/weening her off of the puppy pads? That is my only concern if I use pads or paper.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I can't say delays, but we used to call Lakota the "Phantom Squatter" without any clues she'd squat & pee so we had our fair share of accidents with her. I never put paper down when we were home and she never looked for it unless she was confinded while we were at work. Every dog is different, maybe I've been lucky. I just feel for a long duration I'd rather put paper or something down and give the pup the opportunity to go some where other than just anywhere on the floor. No way a puppy is going to hold it for 8 hours although overnight she did.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with Kiya. When I had my last pup we lived in Chicago in a 2 story walk up. Needless to say the chances for us to run a pup down 2 flights of stairs when she needed to go was impossible until she was a little older.
We put paper down for about a month until she was able to control her bladder better.
Once she was good to go we removed the paper and she was fine.
I think I'd rather have the pup go on the paper and have him know that's what it's for than have him have random accidents. I think 8 weeks is young for having him hold it for that length of time.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Is there a neighbour, friend or family member who you could enlist to help with letting your puppy out during the day when you are at work? Or could you employ a dog walker or other experienced person to do this for you? 10 hours is a very long time to be leaving a puppy alone imo.
Questforfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

I know for a fact he wont hold it that long, but I guess I am trying to encourage him to hold it as long as possible; therefore, not using puppy pads or anything. As far as having somebody over, I have a fairly agressive (towards strangers) male dog that would not let anyone in to let the puppy out.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforfire View Post
Is there a neighbour, friend or family member who you could enlist to help with letting your puppy out during the day when you are at work? Or could you employ a dog walker or other experienced person to do this for you? 10 hours is a very long time to be leaving a puppy alone imo.
It is a long time, unfortunately sometimes thats what you have to do when you have to work. Sure it would be great if they had someone to come in during the day, but you can't expect someone to do that for free. I've been in my house almost 20 years and each one of my pups had to contend with a 8+ hour work day alone. Heck the current pack has it so much better than Cheyenne did 20 yrs ago, he had to stay in the garage while we were at work. Today, my current pack is lounging in the sunroom with heat and a doggie door.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Old 12-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampsonNeiss View Post
I know for a fact he wont hold it that long, but I guess I am trying to encourage him to hold it as long as possible; therefore, not using puppy pads or anything. As far as having somebody over, I have a fairly agressive (towards strangers) male dog that would not let anyone in to let the puppy out.
Did you ever get a petsitter? My male is fear agressive, it takes a little work to introduce someone but when I am not home he's the pet sitters best friend.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Old 12-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have not had a petsitter. I am just hesitant in today's age about that. I guess my only decision is then to use pee pads or not use anything. I just want to make it as easy and stress free as possible for Sampson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.