correction/reduction of treats/playing with other dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default correction/reduction of treats/playing with other dogs

I am wondering for a 11 week old gsd should corrections be given? My pup has been able to sit/down now for a week fine with and without food treats 99% of the time. But this changed 2 days ago, where he would not do it for me, but would for my partner. I feed and have done training with him whereas she has not (but he always has also followed her commands), and then today, he also has stopped listening to her. When food treats were brought out he did them everytime. After we are sure he has learnt sit and down (which im sure he has) should be cut out the treats until we start learning recall? His 'attitude' has also changed which may be related to the question below -

I watchedin a leerburg video something about not letting 2 dogs freely play together, but no one else has ever told me this? my pup has been with a friends dog for small periods of time (less then 1 hour) and we have always been close by, but since christmas eve/day/boxing day he has spent much more time with the other dog, continuosly playing (sometimes roughly) and sometimes not in right in front of us supervised. Is this bad, and could it be contributing to the problem above. I have also noticed the last couple of days he hasnt been his usuall excited self and want to play as much?

thanks
gsdftw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Be a great time to find some puppy classes to start after the new year. Great mix of socialization and if you find a good trainer they will explain why things work and when and how.

I still use treats in training and my one dog is 8 yrs old. So it's not about all or nothing for treats, especially when a puppy is only 11 weeks old.

HAve you had a chance to look at the clicker training information? The reason it works is because it's training system with a proven methodolgy that makes sense TO OUR DOGS. This is important because as humans, we keep trying to force methods on our pups that make perfect sense to us, but when they don't work we have no where else to go because our natural dog training/communications aren't too great until we learn from the experts!~

Intro to Clicker Training (perfect for puppies!) <-- click that

It's not about all or nothing with treats. It's about tons of them all the time when learning a new behavior, then fading them, then random reinforcement. Plus it's a great idea to start adding in a bunch of fun engagement training

click this ---> Engagement - Key to Training

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.