11 Weeks Need help training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 11 Weeks Need help training

Hi everyone,

I purchased my first dog yesterday and I need some help with the basics such as potty training, heeling, and teaching him its name.

So far for potty training I've bought a crate for my GS and made it large enough for him to walk into fully. I've read that the dog should be able to fit in the crate very snuggly so I'm not sure if I set the size up correctly. If I shorten the cage, the pup will still be able to fit into the crate if he positions himself sideways, however he's not comfortable enough with the crate to do that on his own, in order for him to fit, I would have to move his hind legs in. Right now, the pup still prefers to sleep on my carpet. I plan on taking the dog on a 10-15 minute walk twice a day, until he gets older, so he can relieve himself. I reward him with compliments each time he relieves himself outside. I was wondering what's the best method for me to discipline my pup when he relieves himself indoors and how long it will take for the pup to be use to the crate.

As for heeling, the pup, for the most part, never tugs on the leesh. If he is ahead, I would stop and allow him to relax then continue with the walk. He's having issues with staying on one side though. He constantly changes sides during the walk and I was wondering how I could train him to not do this.

Finally for name recognition, I've been following the methods outlined in this video
. However, unlike the dogs in the video, my pup likes to lie down and not sit. I'm not sure if reinforcing him with his name while lying down will have a negative affect. Additionally, he can only carry the exercise for 3ish minutes. I'm not sure if I'm doing this properly.

Thanks
Manischewitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

take your pup out often, day and night. enroll in a puppy class.
train and socialize often throughout the day.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, I've been taking the dog outside as much as possible. As for training school, how much is it?
Old 12-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

a puppy class is a good starter. after puppy class i like taking
private lessons. once i gain some control over the dog then
i go to group classes. the price is small compared to what it's
going to cost you if you don't do it.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree with doggie dad that a puppy class would be good. Very good that you are using a crate and it should be big enough for the pup to turn around in but not so big he may want to use one corner as a bathroom! The crate I used when Benny was a pup was large enough for when he was full grown, but had a divider that I used to give him less room when he was small.
H
The pup will need to relieve himself more than two times a day. Do you have a special spot where you can take him for this? Consistency is important.
If you call the pup by his name he will soon know it!

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully you've been able to wander around in --> Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Make sure you are mixing tons of fun/play and socialization with all the training
Great site to show how this IS part of training is on --> Engagement - Key to Training

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the advice. Yes I take the pup out for multiple walks a day. I'm not sure how often I should walk him for though since I heard too much exercise may cause him to have hip problems in the future. Since getting the dog, he's only pooped in the house once but he's still having issues with keeping his pee in. What's a good method for me to discipline him when he does.

I'll keep doggy school in mind, but Im currently a college student so I'm worried if I can afford it =(.

And thanks Maggie, I'll definitely check that forum out.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

you have to watch your pup closely when he's not
crated. take him out often. you don't have to go
for long walks. you can't afford puppy classes. can you
afford a trainer or group classes? do you know how
to train a dog? a dog is a 10 to 15 year expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manischewitz View Post
Thanks for all the advice. Yes I take the pup out for multiple walks a day. I'm not sure how often I should walk him for though since I heard too much exercise may cause him to have hip problems in the future.

>>> Since getting the dog, he's only pooped in the house once but he's still having issues with keeping his pee in. What's a good method for me to >>> discipline <<<< him when he does.

I'll keep doggy school in mind, but Im currently a college student so I'm worried if I can afford it =(.

And thanks Maggie, I'll definitely check that forum out.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

The only time you can correct your dog for peeing in the house is if you catch them in the act, if you get mad even 5 seconds after the act has happened the dog will not relate your anger to the peeing. When you catch them in the act, a strong "no" and take them outside. When they relieve themselves outside, praise them for that. Pups need to pee up to 6 times a day so keep that in mind.
As for the crate it need to be big enough for them to turn around in and be able to lay down in.
As for walking them too much..... not likely! keep them well exercised so when they are in the crate they are tired and will sleep.
canasask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

you guys are right, I might as well break the bank a bit more and invest in some training. Where's a good place to find excellent cheap group training for my pup? I plan on signing up for classes at my local shelter in San Diego but I'm not sure if that's the best option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.