many questions (long) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default many questions (long)

So, we are trying to get my pup used to leash walking as he's finally had his second set of shots. Just in the driveway to the mailbox for now. He does pretty well, but he loves to sniff and then lick pebbles from in between concrete cracks. We haven't let him in the yard because he just looves rocks. We've been working on leave it, but he's so young, it's not very reliable. I'd love to take him out to the mountains and do some hiking once he gets his last vaccine, but with all the venomous critters and cactus, I don't want to risk it until he stop this behavior.

Any ideas on how to get him to stop licking and eating things outside? I've started spraying the hot spots with bitter apple (apparenlt certain patches of the concrete are tastier than others?) But i have to do it every time we go to potty so it's a pita and goodness, i'll need to buy stock in it soon.

To make matters even more fun, we just got his fecal back and it turns out he has giardia. I assume it's because he can't keep his mouth off the ground. I can try and limit it, but he does need to sniff before he potties and then he starts to lick the ground...I usually redirect then, but it only lasts for a moment before he's back at it.

Does anyone know what I need to do too disinfect? Heard it's a nasty little bug to get rid of. Do I need to toss his chews, like bully sticks and antlers? Bathe him? How often?

We're glad we didn't allow him in the yard now, as his little potty area will be much easier to disinfect than the whole yard. We'd love to let him in there when he's clean though, so we're hoping to nip it in the bud.
jessac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

What are you feeding him??
It could be possible he's lacking something in his diet which makes him lick the stones and concrete.
Can you distract him from the rocks with some really yummy treats?

if I was you I'd toss all the chewy toys. And you need an ammonia based disinfectant, bleach (chlorine) seems to be pretty ineffective. Might be worth calling you rvet and asking if they can recommend a disinfectant. - There's nothing you can do if the pup has been on the grass, just quarantine that area and clean everything else.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'd also try carrying treats with you, when he goes to lick/eat pebbles, get his attention and redirect by treating him..

Masi was a pebble eater when she was a puppy, I had never had a dog eat them at all until her I just had to keep tabs on her all the time, eating rocks/pebbles can build up in their stomache and then your talking surgery

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I'd also try carrying treats with you, when he goes to lick/eat pebbles, get his attention and redirect by treating him..

Masi was a pebble eater when she was a puppy, I had never had a dog eat them at all until her I just had to keep tabs on her all the time, eating rocks/pebbles can build up in their stomache and then your talking surgery
I have tried that, and out works, while he's eating, then it's right back to the concrete and rocks. I don't let him outside alone specifically because I don't want him to ingest something not edible. Did your pup outgrow it? I feel like I could feed him his whole meal out there before he stopped.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
What are you feeding him??
It could be possible he's lacking something in his diet which makes him lick the stones and concrete.
Can you distract him from the rocks with some really yummy treats?

if I was you I'd toss all the chewy toys. And you need an ammonia based disinfectant, bleach (chlorine) seems to be pretty ineffective. Might be worth calling you rvet and asking if they can recommend a disinfectant. - There's nothing you can do if the pup has been on the grass, just quarantine that area and clean everything else.
He's eating royal canin German shepherd puppy right now. But due to the giardia, I'm sure any food would have been malabsorbed. Do you think once that clears maybe he'll have less interest in the rocks?

Our vet was the one who recommended cleaning our house/ his potty area with bleach. Luckily, he hasn't been on the grass yet, just a little pad of fake grass we got for him to potty on.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

My pup was a same way, loved rock and licking stone. It took him almost 3 months to outgrow it. I know how you feel can take yours eyes of him for one second. Sorry i did not find any solution, just time and constant leave it comand. But watch out, my pup did eat 26 small stones, he was sick for days, and trip to vet wasn't fun ether. Just from not watching him for two second.But all stones passed we were lucky and he was fine. I we learned our lesson.
andreaB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Grim did this for a few weeks, too. I'd go rooting around in his mouth for whatever he'd picked up (which he didn't like) and say his name in a sharp tone. He didn't act like he cared how I said his name, but something must have stuck because he finally stopped. He also didn't like being picked up, and each time he'd start in eating stuff, I'd pick him up and move him somewhere else. About 2-3 weeks later he gave up and stopped the behavior.

My first GSD was about a year old and swallowed a giant rock. I didn't know he'd done it, and he ended up having emergency surgery! The vet couldn't figure out how he'd managed to swallow it in the first place...to give you some idea on the size of it. He never did that again, either.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Grim did this for a few weeks, too. I'd go rooting around in his mouth for whatever he'd picked up (which he didn't like) and say his name in a sharp tone. He didn't act like he cared how I said his name, but something must have stuck because he finally stopped. He also didn't like being picked up, and each time he'd start in eating stuff, I'd pick him up and move him somewhere else. About 2-3 weeks later he gave up and stopped the behavior.

My first GSD was about a year old and swallowed a giant rock. I didn't know he'd done it, and he ended up having emergency surgery! The vet couldn't figure out how he'd managed to swallow it in the first place...to give you some idea on the size of it. He never did that again, either.

Yeah, right now I'm saying leave it and if he gets one, grabbing it and saying yuck, but now he thinks its great fun once he gets it to run as fast as he can the other way...ugh.

He does hate being picked up though, i'll give that a shot.

The whole large rock thing is exactly why we havent increased his outside area yet. We live in the desert and have part of our property as grass, the other part is still undeveloped dirt and rocks of all kinds of appetizing sizes. I'm sure fleury looks at it longingly as a grand buffet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.