Everything about gsd!!<<< - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Everything about gsd!!<<<

My greetings to everyone,
I am completely lost on this site, i can't look for what i've came for.
I would like to know everything about GSD!...
I bought some books and rad them all.
Still i can't train my little Puppy.
He is 8 weeks old and his name is Cooper.
His father is a German Shepherd but his mother is a White Dog( as we say in my country, NO RACE). There are 8 puppies. 4 are white and 4 are like puppy GSD.

I bought a Black one which was $ 130.
In two days time, he was completely fine in out home and my family.
I try to train him. He knows SIT and his NAME.
But the rest looks like too difficult for him.

>The biggest problem is that he bites when he is awake. When he is outside he tends to eat small rocks which sometimes he pooed out.

For this, I bought 5 Munching Bones. He plays with them. 1 per day and he destroys them completely. But still he likes to go out to eat small rocks.

1.I know it is because of teething but how to stop him???

2. How to train him?
He knows all members of the family. But sometimes he
seems to attack us like we try to get off his small rocks from his Maw.
I would like him to do everything i say. Like DOWN, ROLL, STAY and DON'T BITE.
But he doesn't want to learn and he is always mouthing me and he plays all around, with his balls and other toys.

3. How to stop him to play with our tongs?

> I bring him to run everyday at 5 P.M. when it is not too hot and he runs but he always mouths the Leash. Without the leash he goes to eat the small rocks.

4. How to learn him that the leash is not for mouthing?

> FEEDING!
Morning - 1 EGG + 2 Breads of 250g.
Noon - Rice + Boiled Chicken Or PEDIGREE
Afternoon - Rice + Boiled Chicken + Some Vegetables + CALCIUM (as recommended by the VET)

I give him water from the tap. In my country the water is of good quality.
I stop giving him water after 7 P.M. as he stays in the house at night.

5. Is it good? What should i add to get him stronger and healthier?

NOTE:
>He is very active and he always plays.
>Already had his SHOT at the VET. He is having CALCIUM everyday. His next shot is on the 27st of DEC 2012.
>I don't have a Crate and i don't want to use it.
>In 1 month time he will live outside,
>He got his medicines for Worms.
>He eats a Lot.

Thank You in Advance!

Akr!...
Mr[Akr]King_-] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am pretty confused by some of your post but I will do my best though I am NO expert by any means!

Firstly was the mother a GSD? There are all white GSDs I am curious just to know if its pure GSD or a mix.

First of all training an 8 week old is not simple and things will not come easy at that age. They will get the hang of it just don't get fustrated if he isnt getting it all right away.

LOL @ he bites when he is awake.. That is everyones complaint about their GSD from 8 weeks until about 4-6 months. Sometimes it is even longer. You answered your question in your own post.. He is Teething. There is NO WAY to stop this... It is why the GSDs are referred to as Landsharks, FurryGators etc.. The small rocks thing is a phase. Mine would eat everything he saw because it was new smells and sites and experiences for him.

ok and for your numbered questions:
1. how to stop him? wait about 4-5 months and he will stop himself. indulge him with chew toys, ice cubes, stuff he is allowed to chew on because for 4-5 months average, he will chew any and everything.

2. this one confuses me... Training him will take time, reinforcement and practice. I am not sure which country you are in but I am sure there are dog trainers there and I would suggest getting formal trainers from people who do it for a living rather than watching videos and reading books and attemptin to do it on your own. Classes are a great way to socialize and teach. at 8 weeks he is not going to do everything you say, he has to learn the command words and what they mean. this takes time (could be a long time too) before he gets them all and perfects them. He plays around all the time because he is a curious baby and at this point he wants to eat play poop and sleep.

3. I don't know what tongs are. I hope you don't mean tongues because I have NO CLUE how to answer that. Some clarification is needed here.

4. this will come with training, right now he is likely scared of the leash. we kept one on our puppy all the time while out of the crate to get him used to it. He is 6 months and doesnt chew it at all and more.

5. I don't feed raw so I can not help here but there are plenty of raw threads on the forum as well as feeding guides if you search for them here. again at 8 weeks, you will have to wait he will grow like a plant in no time.

I am curious wh you don't want to use a crate? this can be your best friend with a GSD pup. it eventually becomes his sanctuary. And you say in a month he will live outside, what are the conditions for him out there. I am not sure this is a good idea but I am not in your situation so I dont know. Does he have a dog house, room to run, things to play with. I think outside alone for a 3 month old puppy may not be the best interest of the pup but I have always had inside dogs so I don't really know. Maybe someone with more experience will answer that part for you. I hope it helps some, welcome to the forums. If you have specific questions try doing searches of the forums first. There are a TON of answers on here already! Good luck!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Unless you are going to live outside with your pup, leaving him outside is a bad idea.

German Shepherd Dogs are people dogs. He wants and needs the company of people and if you don't keep him at your side during the early part of his life you will never be able to succesfully train him. Let alone even get to know him.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

greetings
too many questions at once , but one that will have long lasting physical effect in his eating rocks (and things) and his not eating a good diet "
> FEEDING!
Afternoon - Rice + Boiled Chicken + Some Vegetables + CALCIUM (as recommended by the VET) "

The dog is starving from getting useless bread and rice and or Pedigree which is a grain base to which meat is to be added . One egg and some boiled chicken (we don't even know how much of that he is getting) is very poor . And on the vet's advice !! That is not health promoting. Vegetables tells us little .
No necessary fats, no essential fatty acids, no minerals, no vitamins, inadequate protein.
Diet affects bone development, immune system, organic health, muscle , and even brain and his mood, ability to learn , to be calm, or the opposite to having him live on his bare nerves .

what is your country please.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

I agree with the above posters (short on time right now)

Go to this link
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/

You will see the individual forums ,you can ask questions in the appropriate ones/or look for answers in the appropriate ones

I especially agree with Carmen, you are not feeding a balanced diet, and need to rethink it.

Hopefully you'll get more answers, I"ll be back later to chime in, check out the post

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink-_-wink View Post
I am pretty confused by some of your post but I will do my best though I am NO expert by any means!

Firstly was the mother a GSD? There are all white GSDs I am curious just to know if its pure GSD or a mix.

First of all training an 8 week old is not simple and things will not come easy at that age. They will get the hang of it just don't get fustrated if he isnt getting it all right away.

LOL @ he bites when he is awake.. That is everyones complaint about their GSD from 8 weeks until about 4-6 months. Sometimes it is even longer. You answered your question in your own post.. He is Teething. There is NO WAY to stop this... It is why the GSDs are referred to as Landsharks, FurryGators etc.. The small rocks thing is a phase. Mine would eat everything he saw because it was new smells and sites and experiences for him.

ok and for your numbered questions:
1. how to stop him? wait about 4-5 months and he will stop himself. indulge him with chew toys, ice cubes, stuff he is allowed to chew on because for 4-5 months average, he will chew any and everything.

2. this one confuses me... Training him will take time, reinforcement and practice. I am not sure which country you are in but I am sure there are dog trainers there and I would suggest getting formal trainers from people who do it for a living rather than watching videos and reading books and attemptin to do it on your own. Classes are a great way to socialize and teach. at 8 weeks he is not going to do everything you say, he has to learn the command words and what they mean. this takes time (could be a long time too) before he gets them all and perfects them. He plays around all the time because he is a curious baby and at this point he wants to eat play poop and sleep.

3. I don't know what tongs are. I hope you don't mean tongues because I have NO CLUE how to answer that. Some clarification is needed here.

4. this will come with training, right now he is likely scared of the leash. we kept one on our puppy all the time while out of the crate to get him used to it. He is 6 months and doesnt chew it at all and more.

5. I don't feed raw so I can not help here but there are plenty of raw threads on the forum as well as feeding guides if you search for them here. again at 8 weeks, you will have to wait he will grow like a plant in no time.

I am curious wh you don't want to use a crate? this can be your best friend with a GSD pup. it eventually becomes his sanctuary. And you say in a month he will live outside, what are the conditions for him out there. I am not sure this is a good idea but I am not in your situation so I dont know. Does he have a dog house, room to run, things to play with. I think outside alone for a 3 month old puppy may not be the best interest of the pup but I have always had inside dogs so I don't really know. Maybe someone with more experience will answer that part for you. I hope it helps some, welcome to the forums. If you have specific questions try doing searches of the forums first. There are a TON of answers on here already! Good luck!
Thanks a Lot!..
I live in Mauritius and the climate is generally hot.

In our country dogs are not well-treated most of the times and you know that 99% of the dogs live outside in their dog house.
Some of them are usually attached their whole life to a METALLIC leash.
Many of them feed on left-overs. But these dogs are so aggressive that you cannot have access to the proprietor house.
Dogs are used to keep our house.

But for me, I would like to train my do and to be his best friend.
But he will also need to guard the house at night.
I will let him to stay in the house when we will be back home until night.

Tongs are Kind of Shoes !!!!!!

His Mother is NOT a GSD!!... It is a mix dog.
Cooper have like white socks at the end of his paws.
But the total colour is changing.

I will get him train in some good Training Centre for Dogs.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I agree with the above posters (short on time right now)

Go to this link
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/

You will see the individual forums ,you can ask questions in the appropriate ones/or look for answers in the appropriate ones

I especially agree with Carmen, you are not feeding a balanced diet, and need to rethink it.

Hopefully you'll get more answers, I"ll be back later to chime in, check out the post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
greetings
too many questions at once , but one that will have long lasting physical effect in his eating rocks (and things) and his not eating a good diet "
> FEEDING!
Afternoon - Rice + Boiled Chicken + Some Vegetables + CALCIUM (as recommended by the VET) "

The dog is starving from getting useless bread and rice and or Pedigree which is a grain base to which meat is to be added . One egg and some boiled chicken (we don't even know how much of that he is getting) is very poor . And on the vet's advice !! That is not health promoting. Vegetables tells us little .
No necessary fats, no essential fatty acids, no minerals, no vitamins, inadequate protein.
Diet affects bone development, immune system, organic health, muscle , and even brain and his mood, ability to learn , to be calm, or the opposite to having him live on his bare nerves .

what is your country please.
Can you please help me or re-direct me to another place where i could get advice on how to prepare a good diet for him.
I don't like to buy commercial foods.
In Mauritius only the best dogs are fed like mine. You see?

Thanks a Lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.