what would you have done/ was this the right thing to do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default what would you have done/ was this the right thing to do?

So, we are getting our yard enclosed with a block fence and have crews start to come out to work on it. We had wanted it built before the pup came to us, but ya'll know how construction works sometimes. Anyhow, today the crew brought a large radio and placed in on the pups pee/poo area. He was rather upset by this loud unfamiliar thing (tuned to the Mexican station, so not something normally playing at my house either) in his space. He barked at it, did the forward and back thing for a while., not sure to approach it, retreat, play with it or attack it. I just stood their calmly waiting for him to settle. Once he finally started to ignore it, I took him back inside for a quick moment to grab his treat bag and back out we went. We did sits and downs (since those he knows well) and got closer and closer every few sits until we were next to it. When he started to sniff it, I put a hot dog piece on it and he ate that and continued to investigate seeming pretty relaxed. We later came out again and he seemed to just keep going over to investigate it. Was this the right thing to do? We do obedience a lot when were out socializing. Is that OK to do? Or does it defeat the purpose of socialization? He's only 12 weeks. The next few should be interesting as the wall goes up. (Oddly enough, he seemed fine with the bulldozer that was here earlier, but the radio was cause for concern... Lol)
jessac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think that what you did was great. It worked, your pup dealt with someting new and all was well.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

That's exactly what I would have done.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Whew. Good. I just didn't know if doing the sits sort of defeated introducing something new. I feel like I'll be going through quite a few treats as we get this wall built then. On a funnier note, seems one of the crew is a little intimidated by my pup lol.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessac View Post
(tuned to the Mexican station, so not something normally playing at my house either)
Do you feel like the dog would have reacted differently if the radio noise was in English?
SofaBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaBear View Post
Do you feel like the dog would have reacted differently if the radio noise was in English?
Haha, no, but it was very loud and peppy, you know how excited that type of music sounds. I guess what I was getting at was that it was quite unfamiliar. If it were playing something more soothing, perhaps he would have. We'll never know. I wasn't trying to offend anyone, just explaining how different it was for him.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sounds like you handled it perfectly

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
gmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.