Anyone EVER take the petco or petsmart training classes? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone EVER take the petco or petsmart training classes?

The reason I ask is because even though I can do training myself and have read all the books and have the DVDs and do things like Tug with Michael Ellis, etc. the one thing I don't have is a controlled distracting environment and other dogs. I dont have access to other dogs so the socialization aspect of raising a puppy (IMO more important than obedience training) is out of my abilities. I tried doggie daycare at a nearby place that got great ratings. It's alright, it can be a great place, it was a great facility. But my dog did not like it, she was overwhelmed, hid under a play pen desk thing all the time, and when I picked her up she smelled of urine and was soaked in urine. Not taking her back there again. At least maybe not until she's older with more confidence. That was her first experience with other dogs of any kind.

I'm looking into Petco or Petsmart training purely for the socialization and as an added bonus, the obedience work with distractions and treats would be a plus. But I'm willing to pay the $110 purely for the controlled socialization environment alone. 1 hour a week for 7 weeks is not bad for socialization exposure. I also like that the training is done in the stores with people all about and other dogs, scents, and lots of distractions. Probably more distractions than any other setting I can think of so I really favor that aspect.

I would like to hear from anyone who took or observed either the Petsmart or Petco classes for puppies and what they thought. I'd be interested in hearing the methodologies in training and also the general curriculum if possible. I called and got the name of the trainer at by nearby Petsmart store but google searches return no hits. As I understand it though, they have certain universal training curriculum for all the stores though.

I need to decide between this, or a local training school. The local training school is obviously better in obedience training with proper teacher to dog ratio, more time spent training, full 3 hour orientation, 2hour lessons, and by the end of 6 weeks the dog will know more commands and things like heel. But I am not sure if the socialization aspect of training school is on par with a petco or petsmart. I WANT distractions and I want the environment where customers and kids are walking around, birds are chirping, cash registers are going off, dog food and pet scents are everywhere. Most importantly, I want other dogs and play time, interactions, training while other dogs are around, etc.

Anyone?

Last edited by pancake; 12-11-2012 at 06:38 PM.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Observed them and would never recommend them; low quality training, too many distractions, too cramped quarters.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post

I need to decide between this, or a local training school. The local training school is obviously better in obedience training with proper teacher to dog ratio, more time spent training, full 3 hour orientation, 2hour lessons, and by the end of 6 weeks the dog will know more commands and things like heel. But I am not sure if the socialization aspect of training school is on par with a petco or petsmart. I WANT distractions and I want the environment where customers and kids are walking around, birds are chirping, cash registers are going off, dog food and pet scents are everywhere. Most importantly, I want other dogs and play time, interactions, training while other dogs are around, etc.

Anyone?
I have done neither of those classes, but have tried two different training programs. We are now on our 3rd trainer(one-on-one) but we are meeting at dog parks. So that way, the distractions are there, and Remy learns to work through them! Just a suggestion

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
lkellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Every store and every trainer are going to be different. 2 of my dogs have done 3 classes each there and my oldest dog just started on Sunday. I love the trainer there, but she is very experienced and puts a lot of effort into training. She uses the training room and the store. She also brings in agility equipment and uses signs(Rally). She sets the dogs up to succeed in obedience, rally, agility, and getting their CGC's. Her dogs are therapy dogs and titled in different things. I'm gonna be sad if she decides to stop training She also trains at a local dog club.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I worked as a PetSmart trainer and have taken lots of PetSmart classes. It's close to my house. The quality of the class is entirely dependent on the instructor. The cirriculum is pretty standard with an emphasis on positive reinforcement. The quality of the instructor varies a lot. Due to the very challenging nature of the environment, the instructor needs to be energetic and knowledgeable with a big toolbox as it can be extremely difficult to get the dog to focus.

The best advice that I can give you is to go observe the classes and talk to the instructor about their experience. The puppy and basic classes are the same, they teach sit, stay, loose leash walking, leave it and down. There is some work with distractions. Some times there may be a clicker component.

I think that on the whole the PetSmart cirriculum is solid and very geared toward the novice dog owner--which is usually the superstore customer base. For a more experienced owner, the distraction and socialization aspect can be very helpful. It all really comes down to the quality of the instructor.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks! So for those who have attended or taught, how would you say the socialization is for the puppy class? I read somewhere they dont allow the dogs to interact or play at all. If it's going to be like that then I think that defeats the point of me going to petco or petsmart and rather go with a formal training school nearby. I kind of want a controlled environment where the puppies can play but also can learn manners and greet properly without jumping, etc. I want my puppy to kind of learn how to play with other dogs. Yesterday she barked at a dog across my house for the first time and I can already tell that its due to the lack of socialization with other dogs .she just doesnt know how to respond or what they are. I may have to stop by the petsmart today at their training class and just observe what's going on. If it has a good socialization aspect to it, i may shell out the $90. I have a $20 coupon but the formal obedience school is way more comprehensive, they teach everything from sit and down to formal heels and recalls all in the basic course with 2minute stays. and 2 hour sessions for about $175. So double the price of petco or petsmart.

Im going to attend that school any way but looking to see if i want to start the petsmart training first if it has a socialization component that is lacking in the other school.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

I took Maya to Pets Mart for socialization and to take a puppy class when she was 4-5 months old. The trainer I thought was well skilled. The other thing to consider is the other people in the class, are they taking it seriously?

The trainer would do about 2-3 skills ( like sit, stay )and we would work on them then be told to work on that for the next week, like homework. Like the others say above, it's not to bad for socialization, and for the basics. It's also good to introduce other sized dogs to yours. We had one German Shepard and two Beagles and a Yorkshire Terrier. It's not a dog park, so don't think the dogs are going to play for the hour. What I did was show up for class early to meet up with others with dogs. If I were to get another puppy I would do it again. So I say go and enjoy the classes and other dogs that are there.
gotahaveaGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Why not just go, do your training in the store, and buy something while you are at it.
That is what I have done many times.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

yeah could be a good idea. the training im not really excited about as she already know sit, down, sit from a down, go potty and outside, the meaning of no, and lay down. maybe ill just become a very frequent shopper haha

ill try to check the trainer at my local store. maybe shes good!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I think for an average pet owner, Petco/Petsmart is very good, since the goal of any training class is to train the HUMAN how to train the dog
If it's close, and convenient, go for it!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.