Anyone EVER take the petco or petsmart training classes? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
My dog may need to get on the prong or some training collar soon. She doesn't even respond to martingale corrections whatsoever. She will sit and make eye contact when I stop but the minute I move my feet she darts forward with all her force. I tried stopping and starting again, over and over and over but she will just stop, relax and when it's go time she will sprint with full force
Here is the leash I was talking about- I don't know how well you'll be able to see it, but the two walks we've gone on since getting it, she's been awesome!(it's connected to the prong)

Anyone EVER take the petco or petsmart training classes?-imageuploadedbypg-free1355363075.077622.jpg
Anyone EVER take the petco or petsmart training classes?-imageuploadedbypg-free1355363095.295166.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
lkellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #42 (permalink)

Oh that's pretty cool. I'm not sure if you've heard but i heard the quick release ones are a safety hazard due to accidentally coming apart and having your dog get away. Well, at least Leerburg seems to think so but I'm not sure as I have no experience with it. I have to buy one soon though. You're right about walking without a prong. Some dogs are fine but man other dogs will not give and no amount of food or toy rewards will stop pulling when they are focused in on something they want more than anything in the world. And if that's the case with my other dog, I'm being dragged right along with her. Actually she doesn't pull anymore, (the older dog) so I use a slip chain with her. If i dont use it, even the slightest movement like bending down to smell something will drag me and I'm on the strong side. It's much easier and also much better for the dog to stop them from pulling or lunging through their own will even if it means a little bit of training with a prong or adversive than to fight with them hand and foot and make it a physical struggle. Me pulling back while my dog pulling forward does no one any good haha
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkellen View Post
When I was buying Remy's first prong collar, (for after a 2 week training/trainer absolute fail that I take partial blame for, for being dumb enough to think a 2 week board and train would get her to listen to me, when really, I needed help LEARNING how to train her, myself), the cashier commented on how they REFUSE to train dogs that have been previously or are trained with prong collars. I decided then, that if I ever needed another training program, I would NOT be going to them.
I don't think this is standard. My trainer encouraged me to go to other trainers that used prongs. My trainer is pretty much a positive trainer at Petsmart and at a dog club. In fact the other trainer at Petsmart and a cashier help fit my dog for her prong that she has used maybe 3 times. She was trained on a flat and never required more, if she did I would have considered a prong, but its not my first choice.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have taken two, and I have observed as well.

The first lady was good. She did encourage me to go to shows with my dogs and had done so. That was an ok experience.

The boy in the next class was terrible. He was just totally inexperienced and had no clue.

I saw one of the trainers trying to get the owners to use a treat bag with one hand and a jar of pennies with the other, and somewhere there was a clicker, and I was like, wow! The puppy and I were on the same page, completely confused.

But my last visit to Petsmart, there was an advanced class working near the door. they were doing a game where each had their dog do a behavior, then another member added a behavior and each class member did both behaviors, and they kept on going. It was something like SIT, DOWN, STAY, RECALL, SIT, TWO DOGGIE PUSH UPS, PUT A TREAT ON THE PAW, LEAVE IT. It was actually pretty impressive for them to have gotten to that point with PetsMart training.

So, it really does depend on the instructor. Some are good, some are not so good.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a question for all those that have GSD's....I'm reading about them pulling(I understand this because my golden is a puller), but do any of the dogs circle you? We did a follow me exercise and one of the trainers used us as an example and said..She will never lose Robyn, she is a GSD. The dog doesn't go more then 10 ft off leash and on leash she stays with me or goes slightly ahead and turns and waits for me and she is always checking in with me...I thought this was kinda standard with GSD's in general Or is this more general when they get older and are trained?
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 12-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I have a question for all those that have GSD's....I'm reading about them pulling(I understand this because my golden is a puller), but do any of the dogs circle you? We did a follow me exercise and one of the trainers used us as an example and said..She will never lose Robyn, she is a GSD. The dog doesn't go more then 10 ft off leash and on leash she stays with me or goes slightly ahead and turns and waits for me and she is always checking in with me...I thought this was kinda standard with GSD's in general Or is this more general when they get older and are trained?
Is the checking in thing normal?

I usually let go of Remy's leash when we get to my apt stairs because she likes to RACE up them and I can't keep up. But she stops right at the top and looks at me and waits. She's always looking for me if I'm behind or not right beside her. I've never trained her to do that and she's only 9 mos old. I don't think it's an older dog thing.

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here I always thought I trained the dogs to turn and come back if I dropped the lead. They just do it naturally.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkellen View Post
Is the checking in thing normal?

I usually let go of Remy's leash when we get to my apt stairs because she likes to RACE up them and I can't keep up. But she stops right at the top and looks at me and waits. She's always looking for me if I'm behind or not right beside her. I've never trained her to do that and she's only 9 mos old. I don't think it's an older dog thing.

Mine does check in automatically and that was enforced by one trainer I had. That trainer was very big in what she called life saving commands, she just thought that those commands were must haves..things like wait, an emergency recall word, the auto check in, and follow me kinda things. I couldn't get my dog to race ahead of me for anything. If I dropped the leash she would look at me like I was crazy and stay with me Not that long ago when I was walking her I fell and she stayed right by side in my face kissing me, that was a huge relief because she could have ran away and I would have had to chase her.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 12-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #49 (permalink)

Do GSDs really not leave and run off? Something to look forward to while my puppy drives me up the walls sometimes. I love how theyre so loyal, almost needy haha

Maybe that would make recall easier to train than a dog like a siberian husky which is always a plus.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Mine does check in automatically and that was enforced by one trainer I had. That trainer was very big in what she called life saving commands, she just thought that those commands were must haves..things like wait, an emergency recall word, the auto check in, and follow me kinda things. I couldn't get my dog to race ahead of me for anything. If I dropped the leash she would look at me like I was crazy and stay with me Not that long ago when I was walking her I fell and she stayed right by side in my face kissing me, that was a huge relief because she could have ran away and I would have had to chase her.

I don't know if you've read my previous posts in this thread where I've said that we found out Remy was treat/collar trained and we are now training with a k9 trainer/handler(who has his own GSDS and runs a Schutzhund agility/obedience competition/training club-- which I CAN'T wait to get Remy into once she's ready!!) who works WITH us, not separately. Her first session was Sunday and she got SIT down Monday night. I was so proud. She now sits and waits at the door/stairs until I say "okay!" For her to follow me. I love it! I can't wait to continue sessions.

However, I wanted to respond due to your saying "emergency recall word" is that a different word other than their name? Remy has NO recall whatsoever, and our trainer said we will work on that after we get her basics down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.