Anyone EVER take the petco or petsmart training classes? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master Member

Sounds like you in good hands and it affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #32 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkellen View Post

I would honestly try to find a k9 trainer. I never thought to search for that, but I'm glad I was introduced to our trainer by a friend. I'm not trying to have her be a police dog by any means- but our trainer actually runs his own Schutzhund club and trains dogs for competitions. I was amazed when he showed me his 2 males. Not only were they absolutely BEAUTIFUL, they were the most well behaved and most obedient dogs I have ever seen. It was seriously awesome, and I cannot wait for the training sessions to continue!

What kind of training do they use? Positive, prong, etc?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #33 (permalink)
Elite Member

Berlin is currently in the puppy class, he graduates soon. I signed him up there for socialization (not play time - he is like triple the size of ALL the other dogs lol) but just so he could learn to focus on me when other dogs and distractions are around, and learn how to act around other dogs (not bark, go crazy, pull) It has definitely helped him out SOOO much. He barely pays attention to the other dogs now, he is just so focused on learning! He loves school The trainer here teaches very well, Berlin has excelled and learns WAY faster than the other dogs, and she has given me and him a more advanced curriculum to work on there. They have us train out in the store as well, and our trainer only allows 4-5 dogs max. So, its no K9 training, but for the basics, and getting your dog to ignore distractions, it is well worth the money, I am happy with it! I will probably do one or two more here and then take berlin to the local k9 training place here.

Oh btw its at petsmart, i am not fond of the local petco training. the staff was rude and trying to push me into signing up there, and I have NEVER seen any dog being trained there. ever. Atleast before I signed up at petsmart, I was able to talk with the trainers for a long time, and they listened to what I was looking to get out of the class.

Last edited by gsdlover91; 12-12-2012 at 12:14 AM.
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
What kind of training do they use? Positive, prong, etc?
We tried positive first with her leash walking. When she still refused to stop biting the leash, jumping on me, and pulling, he brought out his prong and suggested I go ahead and buy one- I've had one before from a different training program, but I did not like how the trainer treated remy, so I never used it. Now I can't imagine a walk without it as she knows how strong she is and will take off after anything.

So, I don't think the prong will be a constant use in training, I think it will be more for attitude/behavior adjustments. She only needed one correction on Sunday and then she realized what was expected of walking on the leash.

We still have a looonnggg way to go, though. Especially since we discovered she has only been treat/collar trained. (Which is why the prong wont become a staple in training) she has no association with the word when you say it. However, we just got SIT down, I'm very pleased with only one session.

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
lkellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #35 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I did it when I first got Zisso. Excellent trainer. However, she let him pass when he shouldn't have. Waste of money in my opinion. He was still fearful of dogs bigger than him at 'Graduation'. Trainer was partial to GSD's and had her older (8 years or so) GSD in class with her every day. Flat collar was only thing allowed and was worthless for corrections. Treats were a BIG thing in class, but of course the liver they recommended gave my boy diarrhea from the get go.

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Zisso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisso View Post
I did it when I first got Zisso. Excellent trainer. However, she let him pass when he shouldn't have. Waste of money in my opinion. He was still fearful of dogs bigger than him at 'Graduation'. Trainer was partial to GSD's and had her older (8 years or so) GSD in class with her every day. Flat collar was only thing allowed and was worthless for corrections. Treats were a BIG thing in class, but of course the liver they recommended gave my boy diarrhea from the get go.

When I was buying Remy's first prong collar, (for after a 2 week training/trainer absolute fail that I take partial blame for, for being dumb enough to think a 2 week board and train would get her to listen to me, when really, I needed help LEARNING how to train her, myself), the cashier commented on how they REFUSE to train dogs that have been previously or are trained with prong collars. I decided then, that if I ever needed another training program, I would NOT be going to them.

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
When I was buying Remy's first prong collar, (for after a 2 week training/trainer absolute fail that I take partial blame for, for being dumb enough to think a 2 week board and train would get her to listen to me, when really, I needed help LEARNING how to train her, myself), the cashier commented on how they REFUSE to train dogs that have been previously or are trained with prong collars. I decided then, that if I ever needed another training program, I would NOT be going to them.
Yeah the reason why they don't allow ANY form of corrections is that they have managed to "produce" training like a product. And as a large franchise it'd be a huge liability and risk to allow any form of corrections or prong collars. Not that it's not useful but from a business standpoint, it only takes a few trainers that mess up to get a big lawsuit whereas with positive training, less can go wrong in the eyes of the public.

My dog may need to get on the prong or some training collar soon. She doesn't even respond to martingale corrections whatsoever. She will sit and make eye contact when I stop but the minute I move my feet she darts forward with all her force. I tried stopping and starting again, over and over and over but she will just stop, relax and when it's go time she will sprint with full force. I do like Michael Ellis' approach to leash pressure, which is very simple really. You put on a training prong collar, and you give SLIGHT, constant pressure. So if the dog is next to you, you pull forward on the leash (straight forward, not up) and the dog will give into the pressure and the minute he/she does, you release pressure, mark the behavior with "Yes!" and follow up with a treat. Pretty soon he or she realizes that to turn off the pressure, just to move away from it quickly and there is negative reinforcement (take away the bad feeling from the leash) as well as positive reinforcement.
He also mentioned that dogs that get only positive reinforcement (he had 2 dogs like this) have problems later, and both his dogs shut down for his protection work and what not because they never learned how to deal with turning off pressure or stress. I think that's a very good trait to have in a dog that ultimately helps them to cope with stressful situations and to become a more hardy dog. but that's kind of off topic.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #38 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
I'd have been steamed too! BTW, If you bought a prong at PetSmart/Petco, please know that there are far, far better prong collars out there -- the
quick-release version from Herm Sprenger quick-release version from Herm Sprenger
is so much better than the ones sold at the big box stores that require you to connect and disconnect the links to get it on and off your dog. (I've never seen the Sprenger collars in my local PetSmart/Petco.)
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post

My dog may need to get on the prong or some training collar soon. She doesn't even respond to martingale corrections whatsoever. She will sit and make eye contact when I stop but the minute I move my feet she darts forward with all her force. I tried stopping and starting again, over and over and over but she will just stop, relax and when it's go time she will sprint with full force. I do like Michael Ellis' approach to leash pressure, which is very simple really. You put on a training prong collar, and you give SLIGHT, constant pressure. So if the dog is next to you, you pull forward on the leash (straight forward, not up) and the dog will give into the pressure and the minute he/she does, you release pressure, mark the behavior with "Yes!" and follow up with a treat. Pretty soon he or she realizes that to turn off the pressure, just to move away from it quickly and there is negative reinforcement (take away the bad feeling from the leash) as well as positive reinforcement.
He also mentioned that dogs that get only positive reinforcement (he had 2 dogs like this) have problems later, and both his dogs shut down for his protection work and what not because they never learned how to deal with turning off pressure or stress. I think that's a very good trait to have in a dog that ultimately helps them to cope with stressful situations and to become a more hardy dog. but that's kind of off topic.
Remy does that too. I also bought a leash for her last night that is called The Grrrip 2 in 1- pictured there. It has 2 handles, one at the end of the leash, and one closer to the clip. I LOVE the handle closer to the clip. I use the regular handle, and if Remy gets sidetracked or is doing something she is not supposed to, I just grab the other handle and everything is good again I'll see if I can get her to sit still long enough to take a picture when we go on our walk to show you!

However, I honestly could not handle walking her without a Prong collar- she is so strong and she knows it! She will barrel her head down and get kinda low to the ground and just PULL full force if she wants to go somewhere and I'm usually left sprinting behind her! With the Prong (and being able to grab that closer handle)- she acts PERFECT! I don't intend to use it for anything other than walking, as that is our biggest problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone EVER take the petco or petsmart training classes?-793536636613c.jpg  

Old 12-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I'd have been steamed too! BTW, If you bought a prong at PetSmart/Petco, please know that there are far, far better prong collars out there -- the quick-release version from Herm Sprenger is so much better than the ones sold at the big box stores that require you to connect and disconnect the links to get it on and off your dog. (I've never seen the Sprenger collars in my local PetSmart/Petco.)
Well, I just looked at the lady and said "I didn't get my dog trained here- she was trained somewhere else that happens to use this collar."

Now, with our new trainer, he suggested we buy one since he ended up having to use one on Remy to correct her leash-walking behaviors. She only needed ONE correction, and since that one correction on Sunday, it's AWESOME to walk her! I did buy her collar at Petco, so I will definitely be looking into that quick-release version. Trying to get those **** links disconnected bruised my fingers!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.