Anyone EVER take the petco or petsmart training classes? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

I watched classes at a local Petco in California a few times. To me, it looked like a trainwreck--lots of out-of-control little dogs on retractable leads, in an space far too small for big dogs.

The store's trainer saw us watching and then tried to come and sign us up. Amused, I asked her about her background. She had never titled a dog in anything (or even earned a CGC)--and she didn't know what it meant to "title" a dog. She explained that she was a cashier at Petco who had been "promoted" and attended a weekend-long seminar to learn the Petco dog training method. She'd been doing it for about 3 months. I can't say whether she's an exception or typical.

I agree that it's better to go there than not train the dog, though. Or if you just view it as a socialization hour, that's okay too.

You might try Googling "[your town/county/state] obedience club" and see what pops up. Some training groups have weekly socialization hours for people who are training with them and "alumni."
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

I've seen classes at a few of our places, the Yakima Petsmart seems to have the best area and all at this point. It's kind of enclosed off so the distractions are at a minimum.
No retractable leashes there, either
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Thanks! So for those who have attended or taught, how would you say the socialization is for the puppy class? I read somewhere they dont allow the dogs to interact or play at all. .
In the puppy class the dogs were allowed to play in the last 5-10 minutes of the class. My trainer brings 2 of her dogs with her to class and uses them for demos, she has two Rotts and a pug. My golden was the first dog I brought there. About half way through the classes he was attacked by a Rott in the dog park. Instead of pulling him out of classes, we decided to move forward and I truly believe because of the socialization in that class plus the teachers Rott being present got my dog through with no side effects from the attack. Socialization doesn't have to be the dogs playing, dogs being in the same area goes a long way. It gets dogs used to having other dogs around. My GSD is very good with other dogs and I can bring anything into the house with no problems. Prong collars and retractable leashes are not allowed.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Watch the instructor you are interested in. I went in once because I got Cyra in the summer and the kennel club had no sessions until the Fall. I knew what I wanted - some basic motivational obedience and socialization so it was good.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

We did one at pet smart. The trainer was the best for our boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Jim Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'm w/u pancake! My pup knows all the basic command and some but when she's outside of the house and neighborhood, all she wants to do is sniff and pull! and when she sees other dogs she would bark up a storm but I know that's only because she wants to play. I just enrolled in a petsmart puppy class just for your same reason! I'm starting Thursday so ill let u know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Meeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

We just started puppy class at petsmart with our 3 and half month GSD, Shelby. There are 3 other puppies in the class. The trainer has been training dogs for 30+ years. She doesn't let the puppies play because she said they're there to learn. Trust me, even though they aren't playing, it makes a huge difference just being 5-15 feet away from other dogs/their owners and having to focus on skills. We have only been to two classes but our trainer has already noticed what each dog needs work on and incorporates it into the class for all of the puppies and owners to work on. Shelby is very hyper, so she's taught us specific ways to help with to control that. Each location will be different, but I have nothing but positive things to say so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
ShelbyCD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

Mine went to Petsmart puppy training, the trainer had 8 years of dog training experience, she was horrible. she made it clear she doesn't like GSD because they can be so stubborn and needy, she was losing her patience all the time, and she would talk about her own dogs more than she would talk about the ones in the class. Also, the store is not ideal place for training, its crampped, lots of people are peeking to see whats going on in class which causes even more distractions, my dog didn't learn anything new other than walking on leash .... spent $110 for nothing. But each store will have their own trainers...I suggest get a GSD trainer.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie87 View Post
. Also, the store is not ideal place for training, its crampped, lots of people are peeking to see whats going on in class which causes even more distractions, my dog didn't learn anything new other than walking on leash ....
This would be the point. If one can train their dog in the middle of this, then they are getting a good start. I don't know about everyone else, but I take advantage of any distractions I can get. In my golden's class the dogs were on a 3 minute down stay when someone walked into the store with their dog off leash...not one of the dogs in training moved, I think that is pretty good.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
This would be the point. If one can train their dog in the middle of this, then they are getting a good start. I don't know about everyone else, but I take advantage of any distractions I can get. In my golden's class the dogs were on a 3 minute down stay when someone walked into the store with their dog off leash...not one of the dogs in training moved, I think that is pretty good.

In a more advanced obedience class distractions are welcome, but not for the first time puppy class. It takes too much of dog's attention away from the trainer.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.