faster lay down - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default faster lay down

So I've always had trouble getting Sage to lay down on command, and especially when i don't have a treat usually it requires me to get right in her face in order for her to go down. So when she does start to lay down it's a very slow down, meaning she crouches and slowly lowers her body to the floor, meanwhile i have to keep saying down and point at the floor or else she will just stop mid way down and stay there. How do i correct this? I want her to hit the deck with no more of this slow half stuff. But i can't seem to get the idea of doing it quickly across to her. Any tips or experience with this?
Thanks, and i tried searching but didn't see anything about my problem.
coulter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

LOL Wish I could help but I have the opposite problem! I say "HERO DOWN" and he does a little bunny hop then dives on the ground like a pounce! but then he gets right back up! The more I work with him (every day 10-15 mins a day 2-3x a day) he is getting better.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink-_-wink View Post
LOL Wish I could help but I have the opposite problem! I say "HERO DOWN" and he does a little bunny hop then dives on the ground like a pounce! but then he gets right back up! The more I work with him (every day 10-15 mins a day 2-3x a day) he is getting better.
Haha i bet that's fun to watch! Yeah I've worked on it for a long time and she hasn't rotten it, so i thought maybe i need some advice and a new way to try it
Old 12-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

How old is she? Are you making it FUN and rewarding AS SOON as she's completely down? Be enthusiastic and make a game out of it. Try to get her excited and move around a lot.
Lakl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakl View Post
How old is she? Are you making it FUN and rewarding AS SOON as she's completely down? Be enthusiastic and make a game out of it. Try to get her excited and move around a lot.
She is almost 5 months. Well it's definitely rewarding cause i give her a treat every time she goes down. I could probably try to make it more fun though
Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

It was pretty funny to watch the first few times and now its like OK I GET IT you LOVE laying down!! lol Maybe i need to try something new in addition to lay down.... hmmm maybe roll over hahahah
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulter View Post
meanwhile i have to keep saying down and point at the floor or else she will just stop mid way down and stay there. How do i correct this?
You don't repeat the command..You say down, point to the ground, keep tapping the ground until she does it...it could take seconds or it can take a minute...welcome to the world of blood rushing to the head She will paw you, kiss you, and anything else in between, just be firm, keep tapping the ground and DO NOT REPEAT the command
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If she understands the word, use a toy or tug instead...play tug, out her and then tease her up. Give her the down command(only ONCE) and mark it when she does it. Then start tugging again. If you say the command over and over it loses strength. If she is down in a straight posture, push the toy into her and say down/back which should make her bounce back in the down position. That may help her do it faster from a sit or a stand.
Ramp her up good to get the faster positions.
Edit, I see she's in teething mode, so tug should be gentle, but it still can be done gently if pup likes that game.
click that link, it does work....

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-10-2012 at 11:42 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Yes, try to remember that she's just a baby, and if it's not FUN, you won't be able to keep her interested. If you're just standing there holding the treat and saying "down" in a flat stern voice, she has probably gotten bored with the game. I use a high pitched voice, and move around and make a big deal when they follow through with the command. Treat, praise, rubs when they complete the command. Moving around keeps her attention on you and interest on what you're doing. Extra praise adds more incentive to the game. Some dogs need more to get them going.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
If she understands the word, use a toy or tug instead...play tug, out her and then tease her up. Give her the down command(only ONCE) and mark it when she does it. Then start tugging again. If you say the command over and over it loses strength. If she is down in a straight posture, push the toy into her and say down/back which should make her bounce back in the down position. That may help her do it faster from a sit or a stand.
Ramp her up good to get the faster positions.
Edit, I see she's in teething mode, so tug should be gentle, but it still can be done gently if pup likes that game.
^^^Another good suggestion! I alternate between toys and food with my pup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.