German Shepherds Forum banner

faster lay down

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  llombardo 
#1 ·
So I've always had trouble getting Sage to lay down on command, and especially when i don't have a treat usually it requires me to get right in her face in order for her to go down. So when she does start to lay down it's a very slow down, meaning she crouches and slowly lowers her body to the floor, meanwhile i have to keep saying down and point at the floor or else she will just stop mid way down and stay there. How do i correct this? I want her to hit the deck with no more of this slow half stuff. But i can't seem to get the idea of doing it quickly across to her. Any tips or experience with this?
Thanks, and i tried searching but didn't see anything about my problem.

#7 ·
meanwhile i have to keep saying down and point at the floor or else she will just stop mid way down and stay there. How do i correct this?
You don't repeat the command..You say down, point to the ground, keep tapping the ground until she does it...it could take seconds or it can take a minute...welcome to the world of blood rushing to the head:) She will paw you, kiss you, and anything else in between, just be firm, keep tapping the ground and DO NOT REPEAT the command

#8 · (Edited)
If she understands the word, use a toy or tug instead...play tug, out her and then tease her up. Give her the down command(only ONCE) and mark it when she does it. Then start tugging again. If you say the command over and over it loses strength. If she is down in a straight posture, push the toy into her and say down/back which should make her bounce back in the down position. That may help her do it faster from a sit or a stand.
Ramp her up good to get the faster positions.
Edit, I see she's in teething mode, so tug should be gentle, but it still can be done gently if pup likes that game.

click that link, it does work....

#10 ·
If she understands the word, use a toy or tug instead...play tug, out her and then tease her up. Give her the down command(only ONCE) and mark it when she does it. Then start tugging again. If you say the command over and over it loses strength. If she is down in a straight posture, push the toy into her and say down/back which should make her bounce back in the down position. That may help her do it faster from a sit or a stand.
Ramp her up good to get the faster positions.
Edit, I see she's in teething mode, so tug should be gentle, but it still can be done gently if pup likes that game.
^^^Another good suggestion! :thumbup: I alternate between toys and food with my pup.

#9 ·
Yes, try to remember that she's just a baby, and if it's not FUN, you won't be able to keep her interested. If you're just standing there holding the treat and saying "down" in a flat stern voice, she has probably gotten bored with the game. I use a high pitched voice, and move around and make a big deal when they follow through with the command. Treat, praise, rubs when they complete the command. Moving around keeps her attention on you and interest on what you're doing. Extra praise adds more incentive to the game. Some dogs need more to get them going.

#11 ·
Ok i will try just saying the command once, and keep doing the hand signal. I've tried getting her all excited but when i have treats out she will do nothing but stare at my hands or where the treats are and she doesn't care if i jump around and go crazy or not lol

#14 ·
If she doesn't know the hand signal this won't work either, she has to learn it, but she has to learn to lay down first. I would put her in a sit, tell her down(you can use the hand signal here, but I wouldn't over do it), when she looks at you like your crazy, bend over and point to the ground and keep tapping the ground(at first have the treat in the hand that is tapping the ground, she will smell it and try to get it) After you do this a couple times, she will start understanding the hand signal and the command together.

#12 ·
Don't distract her with jumping/going crazy...just tease her up with the reward, it'll make the down faster because she'll want the reward faster.

#13 ·
I like to have treat in hand, lure my pup down, then say down when she's down, click and give treat! then I would have her "stay" then take a couple steps back and walk back to her and click for another treat. That helped a lot w/her keeping her position. Then I would run and say "come" so she would run after me or another treat! Another way I have her stay down longer is after she's in the "down" position I keeping clicking every few seconds for keeping the position! What type of treats are you using? I've tried many different kinds and boiled chicken breasts works best for me! :D

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#16 ·
I had an adult dog come into my classes for training that HATED to down. He had been taught harshly as a young dog. So we made a game of it. I put a great in my hand, under my thumb and pressed against the palm, but keeping the other 4 fingers straight. My hand would go up next to my shoulder as the signal to down, then would come down on the dog. If he downed, he got the treat, if not he was pushed gently into position. He quickly caught on to going down fast meant he got the treat faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.