Treats for training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Treats for training

Are treats the best way to potty train and to train a pup to kennel up

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
NDrugerGSD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Does your pup have a high food drive?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

He is always looking for more food in his bowl and looking where I use to keep the bag of food in the garage

Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

He is 8 weeks old

Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

We have TONS of previous threads about training treats, you should be able to find plenty of suggestions here: German Shepherd Dog Forums - Search Results
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

My boy (Nemo - 4 months) loves simply loves "Smokehouse Duck Tenders Dog Treats", he only gets them when it's time to go into his crate. Once he sees me get the bag, he's off like a rocket to his crate (God forbide there is anyone in his way, lol) and inside in a sit waiting for me to catch up and give them to him.
I don't even have to tell him, though I do say "crate up".

I only give them to him when he needs to be crated so he associates the crate with his favorite treat and has no problems going in.

He does get other treats during training, or just cause, but the duck tenders only when going to his crate.
mjnitsche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No treats or rewards for pottying. I simply name it when they do it so it turns into a habit when they hear the command after a few weeks.
If you use treats for this they quickly learn to "have to go" a zillion times a day.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
If you use treats for this they quickly learn to "have to go" a zillion times a day.
Has that happened to you? I ALWAYS use treats when housebreaking a puppy and have NEVER had that issue before. I also always give a treat when I put the puppy in their crate at night, at least for the first few months.

Our dogs are now 7 and 4, and we leave them in a chain link pen in our garage when we're gone (with a dog door to an outside run for potties), and although they no longer get treats for going in their crates at night they get a biscuit every single time we leave the house - still! And guess what? They RUN to the garage and into the pen when it's time for us to leave the house.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Kylie had problems with the store-bought treats I tried. I ended up using boiled chicken cut into little pieces about the size of peas.

I started off treating her every time she went in her crate and every time she used the bathroom outside. I started intermittently treating for both around 3.5 months (got her at 2.5 months) and completely stopped treating for it at 4 months.
AngieW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Has that happened to you? I ALWAYS use treats when housebreaking a puppy and have NEVER had that issue before. I also always give a treat when I put the puppy in their crate at night, at least for the first few months.

Our dogs are now 7 and 4, and we leave them in a chain link pen in our garage when we're gone (with a dog door to an outside run for potties), and although they no longer get treats for going in their crates at night they get a biscuit every single time we leave the house - still! And guess what? They RUN to the garage and into the pen when it's time for us to leave the house.
No this was a dog training client of mine with a super clever Westie She would sit by the door, to be let out to "go potty", would actually squat without peeing (no, she dodn't have an UTI), run back in to earn her treat. After ignoring her for some time, she finally quit fooling everyone.

Mine get a night treat and when I go away. I love that routine. It helps when we are in hotels or camping etc.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.