GSD sleeping in Kenel in Garage - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholastime View Post
I'm not sure what to do though about her crying if we bring her crate back in the house. Why does it matter if her crate is in our bedroom or in our dining room?
Because she's less likely to cry if she's with you than if she's isolated in another room by herself. She may still fuss at first, but she will eventually settle down and sleep, probably within a few days.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 02:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Here's a thread that talks about putting the crate in the bedroom. Hint: The OP was initially very resistant to the idea, but was won over when it worked!

OMG, what a night!
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Thanks for all your help. Our dog is in a crate which is in our attached garage. The main reason why we have put her in the garage is because she cries at night in the house. We started off with her crate in the house. Then she would cry and our kids would not go to sleep. I agree 100% with the bonding which is needed. I'm not sure what to do though about her crying if we bring her crate back in the house. Why does it matter if her crate is in our bedroom or in our dining room?

Thanks again
So whats wrong? and tell her to shut up
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

my dogs crate was in the livingroom. i live in a small
house. your pup can't learn anything being in a crate
in the garage.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What exactly did your pup learn in the crate in the living room that the pup can't learn in the garage?

Learning to settle in a crate is accepting confinement period, regardless of where the crate is located.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Because she's less likely to cry if she's with you than if she's isolated in another room by herself. She may still fuss at first, but she will eventually settle down and sleep, probably within a few days.
This... Plus if you are in the same room you can use your voice to sooth her when she starts crying. Sometimes just a hush baby go to sleep soothes lets them know you are right there and helps them settle down. Remember they are just a baby and like every baby they do wake up in the middle of the night. You let them out to go potty give her a few cuddles and put her back.. Soon she will sleep through the night.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks for all your help. Our dog is in a crate which is in our attached garage. The main reason why we have put her in the garage is because she cries at night in the house. We started off with her crate in the house. Then she would cry and our kids would not go to sleep. I agree 100% with the bonding which is needed. I'm not sure what to do though about her crying if we bring her crate back in the house. Why does it matter if her crate is in our bedroom or in our dining room?

Thanks again
Yeah, they do cry at night...with both of my GSD's when I got them as pups, I ended up on the floor with my arm in the crate with them all night. It probably went on for 3-5 nights and eventually they got to where they didn't need me right there, they knew I was in the bed right next to the crate.

Puppies will make for some sleepless nights initially.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

Well we have moved the crate to our living room. Our puppy definitely does not want to go in it. However, when I do put her in it she cries for about 10 - 20 minutes then settles down and sleeps all night. Unless my 3 year old daughter wakes up and walks into our bedroom which wakes up our puppy.

Last night we tried putting the kennel in our bedroom. My wife and I were watching the news in our bedroom and our puppy was staring at us barking and crying. I could only handle that for 2 - 3 minutes then moved her back into the living room. She then went to sleep after 10 - 20 minutes of crying.

I would love to keep our puppy in our bedroom not locked up in her kennel but my wife and I can't settle down because we are worried she will us the bathroom somewhere. Any help or recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
nicholastime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your pup is way too young to be out of the crate at night. It will be awhile before she's ready to do that. If you try it this young, you are setting her up for failure and you for disappointment.

A suggestion when she's older and you want to give it a try - I started years ago tethering my young adults to the foot of the bed by their dog bed until I'm sure they won't wander the house or have accidents. The confinement is less than a crate, but not enough to really get into trouble. We just use an extra leash (you'll of course have to wait until your pup is out of the chewing stage so she doesn't chew through the leash) and loop it around the foot post and the clip to the dogs collar.

I've had one german shepherd that was fine like that at 6 months and onward. She's now 9 yrs old. All of my others I didn't even try this until I had had them for a yr+. Two of my GSD's are adopted so they were adults and previously outdoor dogs only, so no house training. The one that was fine at 6 months - I would never honestly do this with another 6 month old. The only reason I did it with her is because she was a leader dog in training (we were her puppy raisers) and the organization we raised for wanted them out in everyday life 24/7 with their raiser. So from 7 1/2 weeks old, she basically went everywhere with me. At the time, I was in college and she even went to my classes with me. She never had an accident in a public facility. Because she spent SO MUCH time with me on lead, housetraining was a breeze and she was a very clean easy to train dog. She ended up washing out at 1 yr due to hip dysplasia, which is why I still have her.

Last edited by Rerun; 12-15-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.