leash attaching inside - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default leash attaching inside

I've read about attaching a leash to yourself during the day and having the dog follow you while you go about your daily business. I would love to do this since I stay at home full time and could get some more things done. But my question is this, at what age would it be appropriate to start this? How do you keep them from just getting into everything in sight when you are "going about your day?" I can see how me standing and folding clothes for 10 minutes would either be the most boring thing ever to my pup or he would chew on every item in the basket. does anyone have any tips?
jessac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I had Ky attached to me every time I did anything in the house for 4 months - so until she was 6 months old.

Exceptions - she was sleeping in her crate, we were playing / training

Main reasons:

1 - teaching her to stay close
2 - keeps her focus on me
3 - she can't run off and do something she's not supposed
4 - kept her from leaping at my parrots
5 - I always knew where she was / what she was doing
6 - she learned to read my body language rather than vocals (which they don't "know" yet at 2 months!)

If I was working on the computer, I would have her attached to my desk leg and gave her a toy / bone to chew on.

If I was in the kitchen doing stuff, I had her attached to me and would move around the kitchen - cutting up veggies, putting away groceries, etc. From this she learned to move out of my way, and not pick up food that I dropped on the floor!

It is VERY important if you do this with your puppy that you are also RESPECTFUL and that you are TEACHING.

If you have the leash tied around your waist, and the puppy is on your right and you want to turn right, don't move super fast and "push" the puppy out of the way. Turn towards the pup, and move your right leg to show them that you are going that way, and let them move out of the way. They will move. The key here is that you are teaching your puppy your body language and they have to learn it ... and they will pick up super fast ... faster than words ... since dogs rely on body language.

Once Ky got the hang of everything, I then added words in - left / right / stop / stay / wait, etc. Then I could just use the words when she was no longer on leash.

The other thing to keep in mind ... It's really not fair to keep your puppy attached to you and sit at your computer for 4 hours. (not saying you would, but an example)

Puppies have the attention span of a gnat, and all they want to do is play play play and sleep.

BUT, they should be taught to stay quiet / calm for 15-20 minutes at a time, and then increase the time as they mature.

And, there are certain things that you should simply not do with your puppy tied to your waist:

1 - go to the bathroom - do you realize just HOW interesting that is to a puppy? (Yes, I'm speaking from experience LOL)
2 - work around the stove with hot water / food, etc. If you trip over your puppy, it could be horrible
3 - anything that involves "delicate / detail" ... you won't get it done ... b/c the puppy just KNOWS it's delicate / requires your undivided attention and will just act up right then and there!

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Great tips, thanks. I love your comment about the bathroom. I haven't tried that, but can see how it would be true. When I'm getting ready and doing my hair, my pup finds the toilet so interesting, sniffing it up and down, circling it. Lol.

I tried it a bit this morning in between his breakfast and play time. It was OK, but he was really pulling to go and explore elsewhere. I'm sure that will become less as he gets how futile those efforts are though.
jessac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.