Peeing on things? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
WDC

Default Peeing on things?

I was wondering if there was any truth to the myth that if you, as the owner, pee on things around the yard, it will encourage the dog to also pee outdoors and reduce household accidents. I've always been curious if this method of training works.
WDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

Sometimes when I use the outdoors the
dog will come over and mark where I am going. sometimes I don't finish before he gets the idea and, well I let him know now he's mine but at least he's got the bush. On the other hand I've never had a house breaking accident unless he was sick but no idea if that has anything to do with it.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDC View Post
I was wondering if there was any truth to the myth that if you, as the owner, pee on things around the yard, it will encourage the dog to also pee outdoors and reduce household accidents. I've always been curious if this method of training works.
possibly, but you have to ask yourself, why?

First of all (and someone feel free to correct me if im wrong) if a dog watches you peeing, I dont think it will make the distinction between you peeing, and it peeing, because our bioligy is so different, we pee on 2 legs, they pee on four (or 3), so watching is not the case. Now dogs have a keen sense of smell, once they smell the amonia in urine, it will imediatly trigger a need to go to the toilet.

So with those thoughts in mind, whilst your idea may work, its the reason behind it that you should focus on, and that is the dog smelling the amonia. So if you dont want to toilet outside, just throw a few urine soacked paper towels in the area where your dog is suppose to go to the toilet, and hopefully he will get the idea.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
I have never done that. Humans on the other hand who spray around the toilet seat gets beat with a rolled up news paper and if I catch any human peeing in the back yard they will be smacked with bamboo

The dogs were all pretty easy to train. They had the usual accidents here and there but we would time everything and constantly take the pup out. Some learn faster than others. Having older dogs around who have been house broken I found actually helps the pup to become house broken much quicker.

If we do not have older dogs around the pup is only allowed in certain areas in the house. We also keep the pup close on a lead so we can take them outside asap.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

don't pee around your yard. you're going to get arrested. take
your pup out often. you may want to take your pup out a few
times over night. when i'm in the woods i've peed and waited
to see if my dog would pee in the same spot. he didn't. i guess
he figures "you don't pee on mine i'm not peeing on yours".

Quote:
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.