Need help with my GSD puppy (won't housebreak or sleep thru night) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help with my GSD puppy (won't housebreak or sleep thru night)

Bella is 11 weeks old. She is not doing well with potty trainning even though I take her out constantly. I figured she would have it by now but she doesn't. I tried puppy potty pads which have all worked with past dogs. but she seems to pay them no mind. I potty trained my pug in a week.. I have been going at it with her for 4 weeks. At night she seems to go insane. Won't lay down and sleep. wines..constantly moves. seems restless. barks randomlly. So as a last resort I have started putting her in her cage hoping to gain some shut eye. ..new problem she barks all night. Tried introducing her cage as a good thing. threw treats in there. I put a shirt I had on in there, bones, stuffed animals. I put a barking coller on her to see if that helps.. she barks even being shocked. Also she poops in there and spreads it around..even throwing it on the carpet some how. I thought these dogs poop in one spot and stay away from it. she lays in it, plays in it. eats it! This is my first GSD so I don't know if this is a typical puppy or a lemon GSD. Im at the end of my rope. Help please if anyone has some advice.

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 11-30-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Kate_welsh09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Though you sound overwhelmed most of us have the same issues with our pups. Have you been able to check out the FAQs for first time owners?

Click this --->http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...st-time-owner/ and this --->What is crate training (why put my puppy in a cage?)

:-)
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 11-30-2012 at 07:00 PM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
JPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate_welsh09 View Post
Bella is 11 weeks old. She is not doing well with potty trainning even though I take her out constantly. I figured she would have it by now but she doesn't. I tried puppy potty pads which have all worked with past dogs. but she seems to pay them no mind. I potty trained my pug in a week.. I have been going at it with her for 4 weeks. At night she seems to go insane. Won't lay down and sleep. wines..constantly moves. seems restless. barks randomlly. So as a last resort I have started putting her in her cage hoping to gain some shut eye. ..new problem she barks all night. Tried introducing her cage as a good thing. threw treats in there. I put a shirt I had on in there, bones, stuffed animals. I put a barking coller on her to see if that helps.. she barks even being shocked. Also she poops in there and spreads it around..even throwing it on the carpet some how. I thought these dogs poop in one spot and stay away from it. she lays in it, plays in it. eats it! This is my first GSD so I don't know if this is a typical puppy or a lemon GSD. Im at the end of my rope. Help please if anyone has some advice.
A crate is your best friend at this point. Keep up with the positive reinforcement of the crate. Our puppy hated it at first but he came to enjoy it after awhile. He is almost 2 now and doesn't need the crate now, but will go into it and sleep on his own. As far as potty training some dogs just take longer than others. A crated puppy will learn potty training much faster because they are not out to make mistakes when you aren't watching them like a hawk. They are difficult at this stage but I think everyone will agree that with training and consistency they get much better.

I think a bark collar is a bit extreme for an 11 week old puppy but ill let more experienced owners handle that one.

There are also products you can add to their food to make their poo unappetizing.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

OP, your girl is still very much a baby. I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet! I swear by crate training as a housebreaking method.

Is there a particular time of the day or night when she potties in the crate? Could some of her whining be her cue to you that she needs to potty?
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Bella is 11 weeks old. She is not doing well with potty trainning even though I take her out constantly. I figured she would have it by now but she doesn't.
I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but your expectations are completely unrealistic. Dena was housebroken in about a month, but she was 9 weeks old when we got her, and if you've had your puppy for 4 weeks she would have been only 7 weeks old. It would be like expecting a baby in diapers to be potty trained already.

Keefer took around 2 months to housebreak, Halo 3 months, and they were also older than your puppy when we got them. It was awhile before either of them would sleep through the night without needing a potty break at some point.

Please stop using the bark collar. Read MRL's links - there are lots of tips for housebreaking and crate training.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Make sure the crate is beside your bed all night. Plus tons of fun socialization and exercise to wear your puppy out.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
So you're telling me you have a puppy.

Where did you get her from - what was her exposure to indoors, indoor expectations, etc?

Was she well fed?

Has she had a fecal done where they check her poo for worms?

Where is the crate at night?

When you think of how complicated the mechanism for any of us animals to stop crapping and peeing our pants is, I am amazed any of us can do it before we are 5 (puppy age = 1yr or so). The body has to learn what the sensation is of needing to go potty, the brain has to recognize that, the brain has to tell the body to hold on a second, the puppy or child has to figure out how to communicate (both being non-verbal and trying to explain things in their own language which we barely try to understand) to someone else that this has to happen, and they have to do that in enough time to stop the sphincters from opening up...etc, etc, etc. Astounding that it happens at all.

Please take the bark collar back to the store. There is no reason to have a bark collar on a baby puppy. Puppies bark. Babies cry. Lambs bleat. It is how we survive.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don't be discouraged.

Jaeger is very smart but he kept having occasional accidents right near the door where I take him out until one night when he was just a week or so older than your pup. I caught him in the act, and both my partner and I scolded him and reiterated that we "Go potty outside" and the other three dogs looked at him sternly and THE POTTY UNDERSTANDING LIGHT WENT ON. He kind of understood before but his puppy brain had trouble grasping that this was a serious law of the pack. Since that little epiphany, he will do ANYTHING to get my attention and tell me he needs to go out. No more accidents. SO have hope!

As for the kennel: I have less sanguine news, lol. Jaeger will open the door to his kennel and go in when I tell him to. But he HATES to be left in there. He barks and cries and howls and no amount of ignoring him has changed that. He sleeps next to my elderly alpha female at night, between her bed and ours, and he is really very good, so we haven't lost sleep over the issue. We kennel him if we are going to be gone a few hours, but leave him out if it is going to be less than an hour and he has done fine. No destruction of property. So I think eventually we will just say buh-bye to the crate. Hopefully he will grow into a well-behaved gentleman like his older brother and just take a nap when we are gone, lol.
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

The breeder had her out in a shed type thing with her mom and litter mates. I've had her for 5 weeks but have been really on her about pottying outside for 4. even though the first week I was still taking her out as much as I could. I have a one yr old and am now pregnant so sleep is something I very much need. I only used the bark coller as a last resort as if I don't im up all night then up all day with a toddler. I've used a bark coller before on my older dog because I lived in an apartment and everytime I left he would bark to the point I started getting complants. So I used the "static" collers and with in a day he stopped barking and I was able to take it off and he no longer barked. I will let her out, she will do her thing and then 10-20mins later she will pee or poop. I don't believe that her barking is trying to tell me she has to go potty. It is just to get out of the crate. I personaly don't believe that shock collers are in any way harmful for dogs so I don't mind using them if need be. Regardless If my dog is a puppy or not. She is hard headed and we need to sleep to function otherwise I wouldn't care if I was up all night and all day. My thing is she is good all day and I only put her in the crate if i'm going out. Otherwise she is in any room Im in. I tried to put the crate next to my bed. Didn't work out. As soon as I turn the lights off she starts her stuff. Im going to the vet tomorrow to see their advice as well. I don't want to give up on her. I don't believe that my expectations are unrealistic. I've had tons of dogs and not one of them took this long to potty trained. I suppose it is different for every dog. But every dog starting at 7 weeks, when I got them, they were all potty trained by 9 weeks. So it shocks me that she just doesn't get it. Most times I will let her out and she will go potty which is great. I jump and clap and try to show her this is a good thing.. not long after she will pee or poop in the house. I stand there thinking.. Didn't we just go over this!?! Everyone has told me that GSD's are the fastest to potty train maybe that is why I'm frusterated. Anyways, thanks all for your advice. I don't intend to give up on her yet.
Oh and yes I'm getting her poo checked I think that is why she poops a lot(more then most dogs I've had) and stinks really bad. Plus she isn't gainning any weight. However, I've looked at her poo for worms and didn't see any.
Kate_welsh09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got my dog at 12 weeks. She cried and threw a fit when I put her in the crate. She was pretty persistent, but I was more persistent. I slept on the couch next to her crate and I'm sure my neighbors heard her, but they were great about it. Your going to have to do one thing at a time and then both will come together(crate/potty training) My puppy did the same thing with the pooping...she was dewormed and that same night she pooped out the longest worms I've ever seen. She never pooped in the cage after that. About the same time she started settling down in the crate...it was about 5 days of really no sleep, but it worked. I concentrated more on her getting use to the crate first. I don't know if you are letting the puppy out at night, but that is another thing that you should do. At 4 months my puppy was out of her crate at night, but it still took me another 2.5 months to completely train her. I was very frustrated, but she turned out to be a great dog and she is completely house trained.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.