Advice Needed. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice Needed.

Hi there, we've been having some problems with our 5 month old GSD puppy, namely toilet training.

He will NOT go to the toilet outside. We have taken him out on the hour every hour, taken him out 20-30 mins after meals etc, basically tried all of the normal advice given around the net. We've even tried commercial sprays and bringing one of his used pads outside with him, nothing will work. He can be taken on a 2-3 hour walk, and will just hold anything in until he gets home. We were not able to get him a crate after purchasing him, possibly leading to this problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as we're at our wits end trying to think of possible solutions.
(Image is almost 2 months old!)
Hattiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Does he have a crate now?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
balloons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

A crate has nothing to do with the fact that he pee's inside and not outside.

You ever tried yelling at him when peeing inside and treating him with treats when peeing outside? That is what we did with our two german shepherds.

You should scold him then treat him when doing the right thing, or simply saying "GOODBOY!" running up to him and petting/kissin him..

he is gorgeous!
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So you used pee pads? That can be part of the problem-it teaches dogs that it's okay to go in the house...
I would make sure that he doesn't ever get out of site-tether him to you if need be. When you start to see signs of him needing to go, sniffing around, etc, take him out right away and praise him as soon as he goes. If he starts to go in the house, since you'll see him, make a loud noise to startle him (I wouldn't yell at him, that could make him afraid to go to the bathroom in front of you, even outside-so just make a loud noise) and immediately take him outside and praise him when he goes outside-throw a huge party each time. Also, put a command to it as he's going say, go to the bathroom, or potty, or whatever you choose.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

No, he currently doesn't have a crate but we are thinking about getting one. We've never yelled at him when hes gone inside on his pads but have moved him to his pads if he's peed elsewhere inside. He's never ever gone to the toilet outside so haven't been able to praise him for it he just holds it in until he gets home, it's so frustrating.
Hattiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm no expert by any means, so someone correct me if this is a terrible idea. I would try getting him a crate, and if he doesn't pee in the crate, then this might work if he's anything like Piper. Get him nice and full of water, then put him in the crate. He will probably whine to get out of the crate, wait for that to stop. The next time he starts whining, take him immediately outside. If he doesn't potty, re-crate him and begin again until he potties outside. Once he does, make sure he thinks that this is the greatest achievement EVER. PRAISE, LOTS OF TREATS, AMD LOVE ON HIM. Then bring him inside and play with him! wait a while, then repeat the process.

He should, quickly, begin to associate going potty outside with good things and being able to stay out of the kennel. I would use this in combination with tethering him to you when he's out of the crate to make sure he doesn't have an accident inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by balloons; 11-28-2012 at 07:38 PM.
balloons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattiee View Post
No, he currently doesn't have a crate but we are thinking about getting one. We've never yelled at him when hes gone inside on his pads but have moved him to his pads if he's peed elsewhere inside. He's never ever gone to the toilet outside so haven't been able to praise him for it he just holds it in until he gets home, it's so frustrating.
You really don't need a crate, i don't need one.. and I have TWO pups! they are kind of useless for me.. you can always leave him out if you are not home OR leave him home alone, there might be some oopsies coming back but just scold,point and take him out lol.

Yes peepads can definitely teach your dog to pee inside home! It is definitely frustrating, I can tell you have rugs, will at least in that picture.. and the pee stains the dang rugs and stinks up the whole house!

I have used so many products to try and get the stench out of the rugs but... it is no success! Gladly my father rip the rugs out hehe :P

Definitely take away pads, he pees on the floor and you HAVE to yell at him right away!! if you miss a second he wouldn't even care. He will still love you and care for you the same. you just need to set boundaries for your pup : ).
-Some people here are on the fend about scolding your dog.. but oh well, thats the best/fastest way the know.

Last edited by kelina; 11-28-2012 at 07:41 PM.
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

IMO, every dog should be able to tolerate being in a crate. If there's some sort of emergency and the dog must be in a crate, at least it's not going to be traumatizing to it.
They keep your house and your dog safe, and can facilitate house-training.
Puppies are taught from mama to potty outside the "nest" (where they sleep) and crate use plays on that.
Dogs also need a spot to call their own, where they can sleep and chill.

Get a crate, either new, or off craigslist; chances are you'll find housetraining much easier and faster.

Quote:
but oh well, thats the best/fastest way the know.
Crating is one of the fastest and one of the best ways there is, you'd not be spending your time yelling at your dogs if you crated
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelina View Post
You really don't need a crate, i don't need one.. and I have TWO pups! they are kind of useless for me.. you can always leave him out if you are not home OR leave him home alone, there might be some oopsies coming back but just scold,point and take him out lol.

Yes peepads can definitely teach your dog to pee inside home! It is definitely frustrating, I can tell you have rugs, will at least in that picture.. and the pee stains the dang rugs and stinks up the whole house!

I have used so many products to try and get the stench out of the rugs but... it is no success! Gladly my father rip the rugs out hehe :P

Definitely take away pads, he pees on the floor and you HAVE to yell at him right away!! if you miss a second he wouldn't even care. He will still love you and care for you the same. you just need to set boundaries for your pup : ).
-Some people here are on the fend about scolding your dog.. but oh well, thats the best/fastest way the know.
Please don't scold your dog for this-dogs live in the moment and cannot make that connection-they will think you are scolding them for whatever they are doing at that moment.

Also, crate training is very important-not just for housebreaking. When dogs get into a chewing stage, crating them is for their own safety. And like msvette said, being able to be in a crate for an emergency situation is important. Also, if you ever plan on taking training classes or trialing in anything, being crate trained is important.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattiee View Post
Hi there, we've been having some problems with our 5 month old GSD puppy, namely toilet training.

He will NOT go to the toilet outside. We have taken him out on the hour every hour, taken him out 20-30 mins after meals etc, basically tried all of the normal advice given around the net. We've even tried commercial sprays and bringing one of his used pads outside with him, nothing will work. He can be taken on a 2-3 hour walk, and will just hold anything in until he gets home. We were not able to get him a crate after purchasing him, possibly leading to this problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as we're at our wits end trying to think of possible solutions.
You don't need to yell at him. If you catch him going, make a sharp noise to startle him and stop the stream but you don't need to yell and scold him. That will only teach him to be scared of you.

First, get him checked for a UTI. Trouble housebreaking can be caused by a UTI.

Unfortunately, using the pee pads taught him to pee inside. Now you have to chase his mindset and retrain. When he does go outside, treat him and make a huge deal out of it.

I would buy a crate. You need to start housebreaking from step 1. Take him out, if he doesn't go, put him in the crate. It might take 2-3 days for him to get the idea and you might spend a very long time outside with him but he'll get it.

I had an adult foster that refused to go outside and as soon as we stepped in the house he went on the floor. Luckily it was summer so my daughter was able to stay outside with him until he went. Then we were able to take him back to the same spot so he knew to go there.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~

Last edited by Jax08; 11-28-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.