Suggestions for books/videos on raising a puppy with young children - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Suggestions for books/videos on raising a puppy with young children

I have a new project! My sister-in-law purchased a labra-doodle puppy off craigslist (I told her NO!). She has three wild kids under 11 years old. It is her first dog. (I know).

She did enroll/graduate from a puppy school that I am not familiar with. The puppy is out of control. Biting, jumping, "acting aggresive", basically a wild heathen, just like her kids actually. So, what do they do? ...Ask me if I can take her for a week or two!

So I am going to try to get the puppy stabilized, but while doing that I would like to assign some reading and study material for her and the kids. Any good suggestions? Keep in mind it is their first puppy. I would like some ideas for kids as well, to help them learn the proper way to interact with a puppy/dog. (they are clueless!)

Thanks for any tips..hope I can get this accomplished because I do not want the dog. I do not like labra-doodles!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

No One? Any recommendations for the Leerburg "Establishing Pack Structure" DVD?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What a kind gesture for you to take on their project, but I'm wondering how realistic it will be to have you train their dog and give it back expecting the dog to behave perfectly for them. They must be actively involved in the training process. Most of training isn't even for the dog, it's for the human being so he or she can learn how to properly handle and manage the dog. They learn the nuances of dog behavior and how to read cues. They learn about basic dog ownership with lessons on crate training, management, limits, behavioral training, etc. I have no doubts that with proper exercise, care and training, this pup will be awesome in your hands. But how will that translate over to his behavior when he back with his family? Unless you use such extreme compulsion that the dog obeys no matter what (which you don't want to do anyway), I think you will have to get the family involved so they learn to handle the dog. It's like having the teacher write the student's essay. The teacher just reaffirms what they know and the student still has no clue.

Last edited by qbchottu; 11-27-2012 at 09:38 AM.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

I enjoyed reading the monks of new skeet "the art of raising a puppy". It's an easy read and helps you understand what the dog is going through within it's first year or so of life. I'm not much of a reader so that's all I can give you. Someone will chime in soon enough with more ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Mamma to Mellie (Black Cat) and Avery (GSD)
jourdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

How old is the puppy? I had Goldens before GSDs and lemme tell you, until about 2 years old (and beyond), they are psychos

Takes them a long while to mature and be serious. Some of it will just be a waiting game so he can mature enough to start serious training. Most of my Goldens were goofball nuts well into old age - especially the males! But they are incredibly driven and intelligent. Was much easier to teach them commands than any of my GSDs. I had one Golden that was an absolute gem. She could do all sorts of useless tricks like dueling with me and playing dead afterwards. On top of that, she would do it for the most inane rewards like a piece of lettuce. She just loved to work! So there is hope for this one, but he will have to mature and grow a little.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

The puppy is 4.5 months old. Believe me, I understand the family needs to learn how to operate properly with the puppy! They have been having problems since day one..and I kept giving advice, thinking they will get the hang of it.

After spending the day with the relatives and having her kids flash laser pointers at Max, pulling Max's tail, trying to get him to "jump high" for treats..I was exhausted! I would get them to stop doing one thing and they would do the next. No wonder the puppy is nuts. The last straw was my relative telling me that the puppy was getting aggressive!

I just want to get the puppy out of there...get her stablized..and while they have time to think about it..I want them reading and learning how to raise a puppy. An easy read for mom and something for the kids as well.

Then, I will be going over with them what I have been working on. I also intend for them to have some private home lessons with my trainer, so he can hopefully get the kids on the same page.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know of any reading assignments that would help; I strongly believe that the person needs to be deeply invested and interested for any such reading material to really sink in and stick.

So- on that note- what about tools? The Manners Minder I just bought came with a very nicely produced DVD with a full training plan about getting control of a crazy dog. It's a nicely structured plan with small, achievable steps broken down into segments that are built on top of each other.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

ahhh..Willy..deeply invested and interested is the problem. Oh yeah, they are interested in a well mannered dog, but not interested in figuering out how to get that result. They think Max was just born with the knowledge to tolerate her kids. lol!

So, I will look into that Manners Minder DVD..thx!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

http://functionalrewards.com/bat-videos-books/ahimsa/

Grisha Stewart's new book would be a great start.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can borrow mine. I'm sure you can modify it without the need for the Manners Minder. It would be way easier with the device though.

And like I said, in my experience (working to rehabilitate my brother's fear aggressive dog) people DO want a well mannered dog but generally DON'T want to invest the time/training to get there. For that reason, I just don't think a book would do much good.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.