A serious cry for help - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Did you read the links that Jean and I posted? Did you watch the videos? They work!
Yea thanks but i only understand the first 4 properly
dylano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #32 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #33 (permalink)

For me I might have the same problem. As cookie gets older he starts to pull a little. At first he walked beside me or behind. He understood I was the boss. Now its kinda a little half and half. Some times he leads, but other times he lets me lead. When get gets to be 8 months old I might have a problem on my hands.

I reward good behavior though. I actually have had him off leash at 4 months old, and he usually finds his way back home by himself, but doesn't run more then 20 feet infront of me without stopping to see if I'm coming.
Walperstyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
For me I might have the same problem. As cookie gets older he starts to pull a little. At first he walked beside me or behind. He understood I was the boss. Now its kinda a little half and half. Some times he leads, but other times he lets me lead. When get gets to be 8 months old I might have a problem on my hands.

I reward good behavior though. I actually have had him off leash at 4 months old, and he usually finds his way back home by himself, but doesn't run more then 20 feet infront of me without stopping to see if I'm coming.

Since yesterday ive started rewarding properly
Old 11-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have.
Thank you soo much

What im going to do is reward good behaviour and when he pulls change direction with out saying a word. Will this work? if this doesnt work i will use the infomation from Leash Walking Ahimsa Dog Blog. I under stand the first 4 points but not the rest? also kai still bites and as he does not respond to our correction. How should we correct
Old 11-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

The first 4 were the ones I used, I think you could not worry about the others. In addition to what you're planning on doing you could also start working on Silky Leash in the house, which is where you're supposed to do the initial training anyway. This video demonstrates the technique and explains how and why it works:

Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #37 (permalink)

Hi Dylano, with my experience head collars/haltis, they may work, but they are horrible for your dog! It causes unnessecary pressure on the snout and eyes, and is horrible for their neck, it can lead to slipped disks etc. I actually went to a trainer today for private lessons and while there, I told him that I've tried everything with Sarge, prong collars, gentle leader (head collar), everything, and he said horrible things about the head halti. Flat collars dont do anything, eventually they just keep hanging themself.
When Kai is walking slack, at your side, praise him to the sky and back, not a yippy ya ya voice, but a quick good touch and let him know what hes doing is right. When hes pulling, give him a quick pop of the leash, and if you have to, turn the other way. (With Sarge pulling its because hes scared of his own shadow and tries to run back to the house on the way home from our walk.)
Martingale collars and prong collars work really well, prong collars are meant for corrections, not a negative form of training if used correctly, with the quick pop correction, and dont forget, less talk is really more with dogs.
Try and see what can be causing the pulling, not enough exericse or mental stimulation etc. I know some of these things have already been suggested, but I hope some of them help! If you have any more questions, I'm sure someone wont mind answering
KSoloniewicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #38 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Dylano you may have answered but i missed it - how much and what sort of excercise does yr dog get?
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.