My 6month GSD too friendly with dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My 6month GSD too friendly with dogs

Hey,
first of all I want to mention that this is my first dog ever.
So she's 6 month now, and basically she's really smart but there is this problems with other dogs: she's just too friendly. When she sees a dog she freaks out and just runs up to them even though i tell her to stop (even yell at her). She really just wanna play but it freaks some owners because she's a GSD running like crazy up to them, and even some dogs just dont want to play and couple of times she almost got bitten.
I had the same problem with people, she just ran up to people to play with them. And actually all I did is just got mad at her (in the way of talking to her) when she ran and said "good girl" when she listened. Eventually, she stopped.
But with other dogs, it seems impossible this way.
See, she's really smart. I can literally speak to her and she understands me. But when she sees a dog the whole world can burn down she wont give a ****.

Is this happening because she's still a puppy? Do I need to stop it or is it actually not so bad?
Please help
erikz0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

What you have is an untrained over-enthusiastic puppy that has no boundaries.

Do you need to stop it? Absolutely! How would you feel if your dog knocked a small child over and the child broke a bone during the fall? Or if you dog jumped up on an elderly person causing them to fall and break a hip or something?

Are you prepared to be liable for this?

What you need is a good solid trainer to help you learn how to manage your dog. If you post your location, there are tons of people on here that can help you find a trainer in your area.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
What you have is an untrained over-enthusiastic puppy that has no boundaries.

Do you need to stop it? Absolutely! How would you feel if your dog knocked a small child over and the child broke a bone during the fall? Or if you dog jumped up on an elderly person causing them to fall and break a hip or something?

Are you prepared to be liable for this?

What you need is a good solid trainer to help you learn how to manage your dog. If you post your location, there are tons of people on here that can help you find a trainer in your area.
wow, no need to over react.
as I said she's not running up to people anymore so I really have no worries about it. she runs up only to people we alredy know and thats absolutely fine with me because my neighbours love her.

Anyway its nice to send me to a trainer, but if i could afford one I wouldnt be asking this question here.

Last edited by erikz0; 11-20-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a very friendly dog too. Initially he was overly forward with other dogs and was actually attacked a few times because the dogs didn't like his social skills. I kept him on a leash until he had really solid, "Leave it" and "Stay with Me" commands. Now he will walk by my side past other dogs unless released to meet the other dog.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikz0 View Post
as I said she's not running up to people anymore so I really have no worries about it. she runs up only to people we alredy know and thats absolutely fine with me because my neighbours love her.

Anyway its nice to send me to a trainer, but if i could afford one I wouldnt be asking this question here.
I wouldn't say she's over reacting...By pointing out an overly enthuisatic puppy and the liabilies concerning is just a soft way of saying just in case. Now if you cannot afford a trainer, then can you afford the vet bill if your dog is hurt by her actions and your lack of. Keeping your dog leashed is first and foremost.

I have a dog who is not good w/other dogs, but I do introduce to some depending on the handler...many innocent puppies with no direction, naturallt submit....then once he has done his once over, the pups start doing the play bow and bouncing around...he gets nervous with this, but some pups try to climb onto his face and kiss him...he will not tollerate this behaviour and rams them...I muzzle at this time, but your pup can get hurt badly by those that aren't and especially off leash you cannot correct or protect.

Go to the library and get some books.

From there you can pose questions, what works and what isn't and how to tweek. But you have to do some leg work. You are the caregiver and have to be proactive and protective
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:

You are asking for advice and this (Kyleigh's) was good advice. I would take it. Sometimes it is not what you wanted to hear.
Your dog is very young but if you let her do it, she could become a nuisance and a liability when older. Puppies don't remain cute without training. Yelling by the way is not an effective technique but more a reflex from the handler who feels powerless. I would leash her and let her earn her freedom to greet dogs and people. This age can be tough in training but keep at it and if you are doing things right, it pays off in the end.
Be consistent, fair and patient, have reasonable age-appropriate expectations, have fun and give her plenty of exercise.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

WOW! is right!

Don't ask the question if you don't want an honest answer! Sounds like you alread know it all anyway. And as you stated, you "really don't have any worries" anyway.

Doesn't sound like you and your dog need a professional trainer anyway.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies,

First of all, I asked for help to stop her from running up to other DOGS, not people. Yes, I wrote that I dont have worries: worries from her running up to my neighbours who actually love her and dont mind. As I said, she stopped running up to strangers a while ago, she stops as I tell her to stop. But its not the same with DOGS.
I am keeping her leashed, and ofcourse I'm trying NOT to yell at her at all, thats why I'm asking for tips because I have no success yet and figured that more experienced people would able to help from their own experience in training (and not sending the dog to trainer).

Thanks anyway, didnt meant to be rude or something, maybe i wasnt clear enough.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

We are not suggesting you send the dog to a trainer. I suggested that you get a trainer to teach you how to train your dog. That's how we all learned at some point in time ... having someone teach US what to do.

There are a ton of threads in here that can give you some advice / guidance / suggestions, but until you have a trainer / professional that SEES what your dog is doing, all of our information / advice is just that ... advice ... a professional can TELL you what you need to do, we can't!

THAT is why I indicated that you should / need to seek out a trainer.

Good luck!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.