German Shepherds Forum banner

First day of puppy class!

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  AngieW 
#1 ·
Went great! There's only two other puppies in the class so we end up getting a lot of one on one, good deal for a group class price.

We worked on him being touched all over(which Ollie doesn't really care about but good to reinforce). The trainer used him as an example and put her arms around his belly then lifted him into the air a little bit and he went totally limp in her arms :D

We also did some clicker work which he was good at because I already started it at home. We did object exposure, a big cart, a robot dog and he went through the big agility tunnel a few times and he also got into the kiddie pool all on his own.

He also met a bunch of other dogs not including the puppies from class(we do the puppy class at the humane society, it's awesome)... He met a giant Akita mix, a few adult pit bulls and a two month old super timid female pit bull... Ollie was great with her and eventually she came out of her shell a little bit and they played! Not gonna lie, if we had room for another dog I would have adopted her on the spot, she was such a sweetheart. :wub:

He also met a bunch of new people including a little girl maybe 5 years old. Question about that actually, she wrapped her arms around him and hugged him. Ollie did not care one bit and just licked her but should I not let kids do that?

After we got home we took him and the golden for a walk in a nearby eucalyptus tree forest(they are everywhere here, I think we could support a population of Koalas!).

All in all great day and best part was Ollie totally konked out at the end of it. :D

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah for Ollie!!! Great for you too! You must be feeling better now! I'm sure it feels great to be out of the house!

As for the child hugging him ... I'm not sure! I don't have kids. I do have a nephew, and he LOVED Kyleigh when she was young, but then she grew LOL And he was like: um, Marion, why didn't she stay small? She was so cute when she was small! (You've seen pics, she's NOT a huge GSD!)

Kyleigh had no problems with my nephew hugging her when she was young, but as she grew up, she simply didn't have the patience for it and would walk away when he came towards her. I never forced it. I told him she's a "big girl" now, and doesn't like to be played with ...

#5 ·
Our class is pretty small too, just 4 puppies altogether. Kylie has more energy than all the others put together. She was the wild child for the first class, but she is the best-behaved in class now. I think it helps that I take her for a 2-mile walk before class. I only took for a 1/2-mile walk before the first class and that just didn't get enough energy out of her. We have two more classes left. We'll probably do another set up classes at the start of next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.