German Shepherds Forum banner

Half way house training

843 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Zeeva 
#1 ·
Apparently I got Max trained now to let me know when he needs to go potty, and understands the command "Go Potty." Unfortunately, this is only for #1's. He still does his #2 inside, and it's always in the same spot.

If I start feeding both dogs in that spot, can that help stop this problem? I've heard that a dog won't defecate where s/he eats.

#3 ·
How old is Max? Are you taking him out, right after he eats? My puppy is about 5 months old. I don't trust him to tell me when he has to go out. I take him out on a schedule. He generally poos three times a day - first thing in the morning, after breakfast, and after dinner. We have had him a little over a month and he has only poo'd in the house once. He only pees in the house on weekends, when the kids are supposed to be watching him. LOL. He doesn't have accidents when I am home.

#5 ·
Feeding him in that spot won't help. He's still very young and shouldn't be allowed loose in the house where you can't directly see him. You need to really clean that spot and be going out with him so you can praise him when he goes outside. You also need to be catching him in the act in the house so you can correct him and run him outside where he can finish and be praised for it.

#6 ·
Can you try blocking the spot he goes in?

Also, if he refuses to go potty outside, take some of his potty and put it outside. I've noticed that my dogs will sniff the ground and pop a squat in the same area they've done their business in in the past.

I don't think that feeding him in the area he 'goes' in will work. I also agree with crating him and tethering him to you so that when he does make the motions to 'go' you can immediately pick him up and take him outside...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.