Trouble With Staying - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Trouble With Staying

I am having some trouble with Yanna staying these days. She has been doing great and then things have just gone weird.

Yanna was doing good with stay in either sit or down poistions. Recently and specificly last night in Pet Class she decided when I told her to stay in a sit position that she would go all the way down and then crawl like she had been scolded over to me. Or get as low as she could and come toward me. I only got half a step away before this started. She did one stay command great the rest of the night was like this. She did not want to be away from me the whole night and I could not get her to do anything with the class. She has been the star of the class with all she can do at 5 mos. but I am not sure what is wrong? The instructor said that it was a learning plato and to start over with the basics. He also said it was like she was unsure about what to do? I messed with her some this morning and she performed Ok until I asked her to stay even while I stood there.

I am just looking for some advise on this. I do realize she is going through a lot of growth things right now being 5 mos. but just want to work her throw this for the CGC test in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not too many pups are relaible with a stay command at 5 months. You are right, she is going through lots of developement now and she just may not remember. Lower your expectatiosn, move closr, increase rate of reward etc. Support every correct choice she makes. In a few more months she will be better at this.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have her at your side, tell her STAY and put your hand in front of her face to reinforce the word, then pivot so you're right in front of her so she can't move forward. Then go back to the start position and reward her for staying. That's probably how you started teaching her in the beginning but it would help going back to the start and working up slowly to moving away for just a few moments at a time. It's not unusual for dogs her age to 'forget' everything they learned
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.