discouraged - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default discouraged

Today the bf and I took stark to a local pet store. We had to run some errands right after work and I like to take stark whenever I can. He had just been let out of his crate, which he had been in most of the day. And he wouldn't focus at the pet store. He was excited with all the smells, other people and dogs. He is 9 months and his commands aren't rock solid enough for me to feel confident trying to make him focus in such a large area of distraction. The bf got very mad at ME when stark wouldng listen every time. Saying I don't work with him enough, I said he is 9 months old and has been in his crate all day. Of course he's not going to focus, he is hyper and young. I feel like expecting so much of him is setting him up for failure. My main goal right now is to have everything be a positive experience, burn some puppy energy, and right now im personally working on him being okay with being left in the car for short periods of time. Am I wrong?
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think you are thinking correctly. Let him be a pup. Just because he is getting big (9 months) doesn't mean that he is mentally maturing yet. You can't expect to have a finished obedience trained dog yet. Keep working with him and tell your boy friend to back off some and give you and your pup a break .
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hmmm...I'm feeling frisky. I say , dump the bf and keep the dog!

Kat

PS...it'll work out ok
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My pup is 14 months and still very playful. She is pretty good in the pet store for the most part. When we walk in, everyone is happy to see her. She gets a big welcome by name(she loves this)...they love her there How sad is that, that people at the pet store know my dog by name? I think my dog would be sad if she didn't get to say hi to everyone
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

AWWW ... your pup's just that ... a pup! And good for you for recognizing that your puppy has limitations at 9 months of age. FOCUS in a PET STORE? LMAO what were you thinking?

The smells, noises, sights ... that's overwhelming for an adult dog, especially if it's a store that isn't frequented often.

If you want a MUCH more positive experience in a store, first off, take him out and run him til he's pooped, then go to a store that's NOT a pet store (home depot store or something like that). Lots of smells, but not so many people / other animals. He'll be drooled over, you'll be ignored, and then once he does well there, you can try a pet store another day.

Lots of luck, and you're doing great, I'm with Kat ... dump the bf and keep the dog!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I get the same attitude from DH, with my almost year old pup. The easiest thing to do (besides listening to Kat, lmao) is take 10 minutes to burn off the energy before you leave. The flirt pole works wonders for this - you need one if you don't have one already. BTW, you're not wrong.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

The more you take your pup out and about the more they become desensitized to the world. Kaylee was a handful at first and I have all the time in the world right now to work with her. Every day I took her out and I kept exposing her to new things. When she became over excited at another dog, person, I would quickly turn with her and walk away direction before she became super excited with the OMG OMG!!!! Which worked for her. Now on our walks in the store at times she may become excited even after exercise she is now 7 months old. I keep her moving and on the go and it works for her to keep her from the OMG moments 90% of the time, lol. I expect this behavior from a pup and she has her puppy moments. Sounds like your dog is just being a pup and everything takes time.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

in this situation the dog was not focused, but neither were you. Too much multi-tasking . You are distracted by the attention the boyfriend wants and all the stimulation given by all the other customers in the shop plus the reaction of your dog .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

at 9 months old you should have some command of your dog.
if you ask him to do something make him do it. work with him
while being distracted. add your distractions slowly. the more
your dog learns start making the distractions harder and harder.
don't become discouraged. keep training and be consistent.

Last edited by doggiedad; 11-10-2012 at 12:10 AM.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Stark is a very good dog, he is generally pretty calm, ii get comments all the time about how well behaved he his. He just gets very excited when there are kids and other dogs around. But, he never gets out of control. We took him to gander mountain just before the pet store and he was so good there, when we were standing still he just laid at our feet. And he greeted everyone very calmly. But, once we got to the pet store there were too many smells, treats at his level, and of course other dogs. And he did listen some of the time. We recently just got him a halti head harness as well bc he is quite large now and sometimes pulls hard. I am loving the halti. He is very good in areas where we have desensitized him. He is awesome off leash, we hike allot so the outdoors isn't that new or exciting to him. We can call him off of deer or rabbits at 9 months and I think that's impressive. So, I told the bf well now I know where I need to work on him. I said I will slowly work my way into getting him desensitized and obeying in the petstore. the bf just thinks that we are the owners, the alpha and omega, he needs to obey us now. And he knows we are in control, I don't think he has any dominance issues. And I don't think its neccessarly to force him to obey when its not something we have worked on yet. We are working on positive reinforcement training and its worked great so far. I just think they learn so much better when they are doing it themselves. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to explain a little more the circumstances
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.