Training dog the "UP" command - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Training dog the "UP" command

My GSD is 14 weeks old and she knows, sit, lay down, and shake. When she goes for the shake sometimes she tries to sit back on her butt and puts both paws up more like the "UP" command would be. Is it ok to teach UP? I am afraid it will encourage jumping on people. Down command has not been learned and is probably going to take a while. Any suggestions on UP and help with tips on teaching DOWN would be great! Thanks!
tsfarling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When I pat my chest, my dogs are allowed to jump up and give me standing hug. Jumping is not allowed on strangers or when command is not given. I like my dogs a little nutty though so I like them jumping and pouncing on me

But if you train properly, your dog should be able to differentiate between when it is allowed and when not.

To teach down, take a piece of food (soft, very stinky and smelly, high value and easy to eat in one quick gulp - just enough for him to get the taste and smell of the treat), have the dog in a sit, lean down and slowly draw your hand out so the dog reaches out and goes into a natural down. Treat her as soon as she starts going down. Eventually start treating only she is completely down. Deliver the treat quickly within a second. You want her to quickly associate the behavior with the treat. Then add a command along with the motion. Do short 5 min sessions throughout the day. Do not overload her. Work just on down until she gets it. As soon as she does one right, end the session on a positive note. Lots of praise and encouragement. Later on, when she is older, you can introduce corrections after she has learned the behavior but starts to exhibit an obstinate attitude.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

It sounds like she's just putting both feet up in the air instead of one, but still remaining in a sit? Are her feet actually ON you, or just up off the ground with her balancing on her butt? That's not the same thing as jumping on a person, so I don't think it will become a problem to train her to do it on cue.

That doesn't meant that you won't ALSO have a problem with jumping on people, just that this particular command shouldn't cause it. I actually use "up" as my command to jump up on something, but you can pair any command that makes sense to you with any behavior.

Here's a recent thread on teaching down: Troubles with down
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfarling View Post
My GSD is 14 weeks old and she knows, sit, lay down, and shake. When she goes for the shake sometimes she tries to sit back on her butt and puts both paws up more like the "UP" command would be. Is it ok to teach UP? I am afraid it will encourage jumping on people. Down command has not been learned and is probably going to take a while. Any suggestions on UP and help with tips on teaching DOWN would be great! Thanks!
I'm confused. You said she knows "lay down" but then said "Down command has not been learned". Do you mean "off"?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry, we taught her lay, not lay down. Down is what we use when she tries to stand up and get on you.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I taught Piper "off" (4 paws on the ground), and she pretty consistently listens to that. I reward her when she listens, no matter what. I want to make sure that she is 100% with off before teaching her "up", because I want her to understand that even though I've told her she can be up, she has to 'off' when I say so.

Perhaps you could try in this order?
balloons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

I will thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.