Crate training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crate training

Hi,
Im bring my puppy home either the week before or Christmas week. I am taking 2-3 weeks off work to house train and integrate our puppy to the pack. I wasn't planning on crate training as it will be out with the other dogs when we're not home and with us either on leash or off when we're home. But am thinking it may be a good additional tool.
So how hard is it?
Lol last puppy I had was 10 years ago crate training wasn't really around then.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Depends on the puppy. First puppy experience flipped our entire family's world upside down. 2nd puppy experience, smooth as can be. Not much crying. I'd suggest looking up some videos and websites on testing puppy temperaments and unless you already have specifics in mind, the one's that are most calm are easiest to handle in my experience. Puppies that don't cry or squirm when a stranger holds it up or cradles it.
I do recommend crate training though cause there are benefits to the whole potty aspect but it also teaches the puppy to learn to be by itself or separated (even if you're in the same room) and the process goes from anxiety and crying to enjoying and finding comfort and shelter in the crate. It's also a portable place where she or he feels safe especially when travelling or moving, etc. My puppy saw a strange car pull up and she ran towards the house trying to get into her crate haha.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Depends on the puppy. First puppy experience flipped our entire family's world upside down. 2nd puppy experience, smooth as can be. Not much crying. I'd suggest looking up some videos and websites on testing puppy temperaments and unless you already have specifics in mind, the one's that are most calm are easiest to handle in my experience. Puppies that don't cry or squirm when a stranger holds it up or cradles it.
I do recommend crate training though cause there are benefits to the whole potty aspect but it also teaches the puppy to learn to be by itself or separated (even if you're in the same room) and the process goes from anxiety and crying to enjoying and finding comfort and shelter in the crate. It's also a portable place where she or he feels safe especially when travelling or moving, etc. My puppy saw a strange car pull up and she ran towards the house trying to get into her crate haha.
To the bolded- not true! Grim wouldn't even allow the breeder to handle him without doing this. He's VERY biddable, though! Depends on what *you* want and expect from your pup.

to the OP- I seriously doubt you're going to be able to take an 8 week old and put it out in the back yard with your other dogs and have all be well and good. There's a time to see if the pack will accept, who is going to be too rough, what the pup will get into that's dangerous out there (these guys LOVE to eat rocks and stuff that can cause a gut obstruction!). Crate training will keep your pup safe and aid in house breaking. It also allows you to take a shower, sleep, eat or make food... whatever you have to do where having the pup tethered to you may not work. I had absolutely no issues with crate training. It's actually the only place my guy will sleep or rest, and when he's tired he'll go to where his kennel is.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Crate training isn't too hard if you can get through the first week. Just make sure you get the right size crate or get a large one with a divider to portion off his area if you don't want to keep buying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
RyleesDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

The crate has been the best tool for us (as first time dog owners) for training purposes, both potty and behavioral. Suki cried in the crate for about 3 or 4 days (until we wised up and moved the crate into our bedroom at night!) but after she started getting used to it - it became somewhere she went willingly. Its a quiet place where she can get away from something that spooks her and its a place of calm.

Its also great, like pancake said, to have the dog crate trained for things like traveling or if your dog is being watched by someone else. We have a crate at our inlaws so when they watch Suki when we're out of town - our girl has a place to feel safe when she gets homesick and my inlaws can use it to calm her down if she gets a little too frisky with them!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Crate training is an awesome tool. It's good to keep dogs seperated and out of the way when needed, too. Since you don't know how your dog is going to mature and mesh with the rest of your pack, leaving them loose together is a terrible idea when you're gone.

My current pup (15 week old Border Collie) was a breeze to crate train. A few chewies in there and he slept through the night just fine, didn't whine or bark much if at all; when he had to go.

Keeping it positive and short for the first while is the way to go, and never letting the dog out if it's barking!
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.