Will I ever sleep again? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Will I ever sleep again?

So last night was Midnight's 3rd night at home. He's 9 weeks and I'm attempting to crate train him. First night he only cried for about 10 minutes the first stretch in his crate and only 5 minutes after our first potty break. Second night he cried and howled and carried on for almost an hour. I got him out, went potty, put him back in his crate and it was another 20 minutes before he quieted down. Tonight (the part that's over), he howled and cried for almost 45 minutes, then was only quiet for 2 hours, and after the potty break at 1am, I'm not sure, but I don't think he stopped barking and crying for more than 15 minutes when I finally relented at 3:15 and came out on the couch with him. He sleeps just fine as long as he's got me right next to him.

I read that I shouldn't scold him at all when he's in his crate...does that include telling him to be quiet and go to sleep? My ex-husband's dog is crate trained and he told me not to even acknowledge him when he's in his crate and to cover the crate with a sheet to minimize stimulation. His dog is a small breed, however.

I'd probably just let him sleep in bed with me, but my bed is really high and I don't want him to fall and hurt himself. Plus, I really want him to learn to be happy in his kennel.

I'm so tired!!! Are there any secrets to this? He's only crated at night and brief periods during the day if I have to go to an appointment. The longest has been for 2 hours during the day. Midnight, unlike me, sleeps all the time if he's not in is crate. It's play, play, play for an hour or two, nap for an hour, play some more. I don't want to wake him up when he naps since he's a baby, but I can't always nap with him and I'm afraid he's just not tired at night after all the naps.

So after all this rambling, my real question is whether I'll damage his psyche or disposition if I tell him no barking in the kennel and go to sleep. Also, covered crate or uncovered?

Tired in Texas,
Kathryn and (not tired) Midnight
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

My puppy only cried the first night when we got her, I put earplugs in my ears, ignored her crying and called it a night I never used the crate. Now she is 6 months old and sleeps on the couch I have no issues with her, she doesn't even wake us up in the morning.. all because we ignored her scratching the door to the bedroom, whining and trying to get our attention. Now I don't even worry about sleep... she learned FAST.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Unless you're strongly opposed to this, I would move the crate to the bedroom. Both my dogs have always been crated in the bedroom as pups until they were old enough to be out of their crate at night. Then I moved the crate to the living room for when we go out, and bought a doggie bed for the bedroom so they can still sleep with us.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

@fuzzybunny - The crate is already in my bedroom right next to my bed. But I do keep it covered with a dark sheet. Should I uncover it? Do I just keep ignoring all crying or do I tell him to go to sleep?

He's learned really fast when I've told him to lay down on his seat in the car. I just don't understand why I shouldn't tell him no bark and go to sleep in his crate? Will this make him fearful? I want him to be a well adjusted dog, but I may drop from exhaustion.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You'll get two types of responses to your question. You'll have those who say ignore him completely and you'll get others like myself who don't. I can only tell you what worked for my dog, Jazz. The first night we got him he cried. I lied down by his crate and stroked him until he fell asleep. Then I went back to sleep. I had to do this about 3 times that first night in addition to 2 potty breaks. The second night and every night after, he didn't cry at all unless he had to go potty. For me, giving him that attention worked. Others had success by ignoring completely.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

LOL I SO remember those nights!!! It took 3 nights for Kyleigh to get used to her crate (I got her at 9 weeks also).

I did a mix of ignoring / giving attention.

I set her crate up in my bedroom beside my bed. As soon as she whined, I dropped my hand down to the front of the crate and she would sniff, lick and then curl back up. (Of course, I was still getting up every 3-4 hours for pee breaks!)

I didn't say anything to her. Just let her sniff / lick my hand.

By the fourth night, she would only wake up to pee. At this stage, I moved the crate to the end of my bed.

By 11 weeks she was sleeping from 11 pm to 5 am (which is when I sleep LOL) so I was a happy camper! At this stage, I moved the crate to where I wanted it, which was across the room - but she could see me perfectly in bed!

It does end, and yes, you will sleep again, I PROMISE LOL
Old 10-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

He's just so darn cute, I can't be mad at him!!!Will I ever sleep again?-imageuploadedbypg-free1351686607.996074.jpg
Old 10-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

That's why God MADE puppies cute. So you don't kill them. LOL Both mine only cried the first night.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

He's pretty darn cute . It will definitely get better and you will sleep again. Just hang in there. He's been taken away from everything he knows so it will take a little time. Some take more than others.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

It feels more like he just can't stand being away from me. He is my little shadow everywhere! He loves cuddling on the couch. If I knew how to upload pics, I'd put up the one I took last night on the couch. He had crawled up into the crook of my arm and laid his head on my shoulder! Unfortunately, the only camera I have is on my older iPhone and there's no flash. With him being black, he mainly just shows up as a fuzzy black splotch! Luv him!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.