Leash walking, is this an age thing? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Leash walking, is this an age thing?

Fezzik is about 10ish weeks old. I've been taking him out to parks the past couple days, trying to work on leash walking. I have 2 seperate things to work on, one is getting him used to the leash, if I tug on the leash to guide him a certain way or get him moving, he will sometimes jerk around, not being quite sure how to react to the leash I suppose.

The other thing is I want to teach him to not pull before he becomes big enough that it is a problem. I plan on using the zig zag method (you pull this way, I walk that way, etc.) The only problem is he rarely leaves my side, he walks pretty much right under me. The only time he gets excited and pulls is when he sees a person (he loooves everyone) and during this critical socialization period, I don't want to 'zig zag' away from people which may give him the wrong idea about meeting strangers.

I am probably over thinking this, is the walking under my feet just because he is still quite young? He doesn't seem scared to be out doors or timid, he just likes walking right underneath me...So how does one teach a dog not to pull if he doesn't pull? lol
Fezzik: Heinz 57 born Aug 2012
Cats: Samuel Adams, Jack Daniels, & Shooter
BrennasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Keep him on your left side and whenever he passes your feet with his front feet pull him back, your feet is the line they cannot cross. For the meeting people thing, have him sit and let the people walk up to him, if he gets up have him sit again.

Hope this helps!

Grizzpup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

forget about a "stage thing", "phase thing" or 'an age thing''.
it's probably more of a "i don't train and socialize enough thing".
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

That explains it...
Fezzik: Heinz 57 born Aug 2012
Cats: Samuel Adams, Jack Daniels, & Shooter
BrennasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Keep working with him. Plan on short distances that may take a while. Have some his favorite treats in your hand to keep his attention as you are walking giving him one every 20 feet or so. He will quickly catch on and before you know it will be going miles together.
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

My 6 month GSD would walk at my feet wherever I went leash or no leash and I was so impressed! But now he pulls. I've been working on it for a couple months where whenever he pulls I stop and he gets to go nowhere. There hasn't been any significant improvement to be honest, but it's not pulling so much as fast walking -- he can't seem to move slowly on leash. I really do believe it has to do with his age
MattLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a 14 month old who pulled like crazy in a chest harness and a flat collar. I went to training her a good off leash heal and a "walk easy" which is a few feet in front of me without a pull. I use a holti others use a gentle leader, both these work well. However follow the directions. You vet may have a gentle leader and can size it for you. I would also use a flat collar with a gentle leader to have a back up safety. I am still useing treats for everytime my pup comes into a heel on her own she is rewarded for it. No pup should be asked to stay in a heel position. Its a lesson they learn and should be allowed a check it out-go see or a easy walk when on walks. Good luck hope this helps. It takes time and practice and it will take years to lock it into the pups actions as normal. Mine now walks wonderful on a holti. I am also useing a professional for ecollar training for off leash recalls. I would recommend Michael Ellis for any training you choose. good luck
wildrivers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.