Timeout for my Land Shark - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #31 (permalink)

I wanted to give everyone an update.

My puppy is doing MUCH better now at 9 weeks. He still nips, but he's not doing it nearly as much. He'll actually go for the toy instead of disregarding it for my hands when he's in shark mode, and my hands are actually nearly healed because he has also toned down the intensity of his bite. He's not perfect, but he's now actually livable.

Also, he has not had one potty accident for an entire week, and today he whined to go outside and did his business after an extended play session. In a couple of weeks, I think he'll have this down completely.

One thing I've learned about this is that German Shepherds are not for newbies. My deceased Boxer was so much easier compared to this little one, so I can't recommend this breed to a first time dog owner. One thing I do like about him is he's much smarter than my boxer was.

One advantage is that instead of having to teach him something between 50-100 times, he learns it by the 20th time at worst, and he keeps getting sharper every week.

Someone was recommending me to get him a dog puzzle. Anyone know a good one that's appropriate for his age?

Last edited by Belmont; 10-05-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #32 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The Bustercube is good - it's the square plastic one that dispenses kibble. My puppy had some great times with it. I don't use it much any more because it can really fly when it's jumped on by a bigger puppy, lol!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #33 (permalink)

I was getting bitten and nipped for MONTHS before Suki learned that we were not chew toys.

What helped the most for us was walking away and ignoring her. No crating, no yelling, or correcting. Just walking away and ignoring.

Our puppies want to be near us all the time. If you teach them that they will get attention (even bad attention is better than no attention to them) if they bite, they will continue to do it. Just like human children!

Suki eventually learned that if she wants to play with us, she has to play by our rules.

Once you curb the majority of the biting, you can start working on a 'soft mouth' with your dog. When Suki takes treats from us, she knows she has to be 'easy' with her mouth or she gets nothing.

As far as the puzzle toys go, Suki loves, loves, loves this one. We put her kibble in it and when its empty she brings it back and puts it in my lap and looks at me like "Mom, I want more!). Its easily washed and pretty durable.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=12107602

Last edited by SukiGirl; 10-05-2012 at 11:17 AM.
SukiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #34 (permalink)

My puppy is now 12 weeks old, and even though he still likes to play bite, his mouth has become much softer, and he has not cut me in two weeks. Bite inhibition training has really paid off.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #35 (permalink)

This is him now at 12 weeks.

Last edited by Belmont; 10-28-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are many ways to raise a good puppy...a lot of what Cesar does I have found effective also......read the book if it helps and use common sense. Good luck!
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #37 (permalink)

My bubbles is a land shark too. I've tried a lot of ways to get her to stop. Toys, ice, focusing on laying down, a smack (not hard), time out .

I found out bubble hates being sprayed with water in the face if she even tries to lung at me and bite. I just spray her with water. She will sit and look sad. But I give her a kiss and some cuddling and she's okay with not biting. Its hard to always spray her but she's getting the hint. maybe you could try a spray bottle of water.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #38 (permalink)

As a new GSD owner (our first), I have to say that I feel a whole lot better after reading that the mouthing/biting seems to be such a common thing among other owners. Our Ranger is 11 weeks old and is such a great dog already--but I had to laugh out loud at the "Land Shark" moniker in this thread . . . because Ranger has a full-on shark mode too. Most of the time he's fantastic and he's learning other things so fast. But boy, does he delight in nibbling and jawing on hands and feet.

Sounds like it's something to work on but that it should fade with time and the training? We'll just keep working at it. We've tried redirecting with chew toys without much luck so far. The "yelp" thing only seems to excite Ranger. Have tried doing that and leaving the room. Was at the vet today and their trainer was there--he gave us a shorter leash and recommended having an anchor spot in the house to use as a timeout place after the yelp when he bites. Let him think about it for a minute and then try again.

We'll probably give that a try for when he just won't stop--but will keep going with redirecting and trying to teach "off". We'll see what happens. Will definitely be reading up and asking questions.
ramsker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #39 (permalink)

To give everyone an update on this, Odin is now 10 months old next week and he has not bitten me in ages.

Like at around 6 months, he just gave up.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 07-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #40 (permalink)

I hate to say it, but I kind of miss my little land shark. I wonder if I was too hard on him.

He's really gentle now at 11.5 months. Two more weeks and he's officially no longer a puppy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Timeout for my Land Shark-1373794678725.jpg   Timeout for my Land Shark-1373794705985.jpg   Timeout for my Land Shark-1373794726476.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.