Potty Training Nightmare! - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: How long should it take to potty train a German Shepherd Female pup
1 month (8-12 weeks or 3 months old) 19 50.00%
2 months (12-16 weeks or 4 months old) 11 28.95%
3 months (16-20 weeks or 5 months old) 4 10.53%
4 months (20-24 weeks or 6 months old) 4 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #51 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think you are overwhelmed--new house , little kids and a dog that just won't learn things your way..nowhere have you declared your love for this dog..You are damaging him and you really need to think about rehoming him--I am sorry for what you are going through, but the time has come for you to do the right thing by the dog..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saige View Post
I too have a potty training issue--my nearly 6 month old female, spayed GSD has been peeing in her crate since we got her at the age of 9 wks. I will preface my remarks here by saying that she has had UTIs and been on meds and is now completely clear! However, she still pees in her crate. I will take her out she'll pee and then I'll put her in her crate and 1- 1 1/2 hrs later she's peed in the crate. Today I took out her bedding so that she could sit in it hoping that it would bother her--nope, not at all bothered! I'm at a lose as to what to do. I am a stay at home dog mom and have done everything I've done with my previous 5 GSDs but nothing is working. I am crazy diligent about taking her out many many times a day and she most always peeps. Any suggestions? She does hold it from say 10 pm till 5 or 6 am., but I do withhold water from about 7 pm in the evening. I'm about ready to pull out my hair--and it's not puppy pee any more it reeks!
Some puppies don't seem to care much about being in their own mess. Many times it's something learned when they're very little, one of the reasons it's important for breeders to be on top of keeping the litter as clean as possible. My last dog was this way when he was a puppy. My breeder was good about keeping the sleeping/nesting area clean, but didn't clean the play area until play time was done so my pup learned that it's OK to play in poop or pee. Great.

It makes potty training a nightmare. For puppies like this, there's no relying on the puppy to give you any kind of signal, and the crate is no help whatsoever. In fact, it almost creates a bigger problem because subconsciously you're thinking "puppy's in the crate, it's safe" and you're less likely to be diligent. I was terribly guilty of this. The only way I got my puppy trained was to figure out how frequently he had to go, and anticipate him.

To start, I was taking him out every 45min during the day, and 3 times overnight. When we finally got to a week with no accidents, I increased the time and waited for another week with no accidents. Rinse and repeat. Keep in mind that every time puppy has an accident you need to shorten the time and re-set the week.

If I remember correctly, Casey was finally potty trained around 7mos. old and once he was, he was bullet-proof. The last month was a real pain because he'd only have an accident once a week or so, so I'd just start to feel good about things, get a little careless, and oops . It helped to teach Casey to ring some bells I rigged on the door to tell me he needed to go. It seemed to help "I should not go inside, I should go outside" into his doggy brain.
stealthq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #53 (permalink)

Default potty training nightmare

Yes they did do a culture and it came back negative. I've tried most everything you guys have mentioned. Nothing really seems to work. Her breeder did keep all 11 puppies in a kennel with a raised bed and they did pee and poop on paper. They both worked so they were alone for the day. I've been diligent with taking her out, so many times a day, but I do need to shower every now and then so that requires being in the crate, which she is feed in and doesn't mind, but none the less pees in! Hopefully as one of you mentioned maturity and patience will do the trick! I'm still open to ideas. A tech at the vet mentioned using something like a tennis ball that she loves as a treat after she is good outside, but just doing that today all she does is stand at the door wanting to get to the ball! I don't think that's the right approach.
Saige is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master Member

I think she's used to going inside her crate and maybe her crate is now too scented with it.

Maybe try:

1. When in crate, give her something to do like a bullystick that's safe for you to feel comfortable enough for her to have alone while you go do something for a moment. Or leave her in a secure area outside. Before my dog learn to go outside, I could tether my dog to me all day and she'd still pee in front of me unless she's busy sleeping, eating or playing.

2. Don't crate her anymore if she's very bad in crates. I don't know how bad this is, if it's a every now and then accident, or quite frequent. If quite frequent, I'd try an ex-pen or something else that disassociate the crate = pee idea.

3. Make it a positive event. I know it's frustrating, I've wanted to just pretend my dog doesn't exist for a while whenever she pees 2 ft in front of me just when I thought she got it. it's ok to let her know it's not ok when you catch her in the act but don't linger there too long and be quick to praise her when she finishes it outside. If you didn't catch her, just ignore it (and scream in a different room). My trainer told me that to be a dog trainer, you need to be somewhat bipolar - be quick to correct and quick to praise once they fix their mistake. Your dog may be confused or just haven't gotten it and it can stress the dog out not knowing why you're so upset. It just hasn't click for her yet.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #55 (permalink)

Thumbs down Piper

I am so glad that all of you think I am abusing my pup and think I do not have patience. I have spoken with many trainers here in OHIO. YES I AM IN OHIO FOR THOSE WHO ARE SO DANG CURIOUS. We have tried quite a few methods. A swat on the butt does not hurt. To each their own. HOLY CRAP DON'T CALL PETA ON ME OR CPS FOR SWATTING BUTTS!! oh AND --- (Yes I can compare to my pup TO my kids because she is like one of my kids) but hey, none of you care about that. I am damaging her. Poor pitiful thing that gets love from all of us, very expensive CANIN food, tons of toys, and training. Pathetic. You are a bunch of Ridiculing people. I will go elsewhere for advice and constructive criticism.

And from the get go, I said I don't want to get rid of her... (In other words, I love this da*n dog, she won't stop pi**ing in the house no matter what training, I'm at my wits end, I need help.) no that's not love at all.

I came here for help, not bashing. Thanks EVERYONE!!! Greatly appreciated.
Princey009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #56 (permalink)
Banned

Then lay your ego aside and do right by the dog.
Dogs aren't kids and do not learn the same.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saige View Post
I too have a potty training issue--my nearly 6 month old female, spayed GSD has been peeing in her crate since we got her at the age of 9 wks. I will preface my remarks here by saying that she has had UTIs and been on meds and is now completely clear! However, she still pees in her crate. I will take her out she'll pee and then I'll put her in her crate and 1- 1 1/2 hrs later she's peed in the crate. Today I took out her bedding so that she could sit in it hoping that it would bother her--nope, not at all bothered! I'm at a lose as to what to do. I am a stay at home dog mom and have done everything I've done with my previous 5 GSDs but nothing is working. I am crazy diligent about taking her out many many times a day and she most always peeps. Any suggestions? She does hold it from say 10 pm till 5 or 6 am., but I do withhold water from about 7 pm in the evening. I'm about ready to pull out my hair--and it's not puppy pee any more it reeks!
You might want to start a new thread so this one doesn't get convoluted and people can focus on just your pup.

Sounds like she's just used to peein in the crate. The UTI's she went thru sort of "forced her" into it. Be absolutely SURE you are cleaning each incident with enzyme cleaner - NOT an ammonia based, household cleaner. Very important!

Take all bedding out. None of mine get bedding in their crates.. When they were younger, they'd pee on it, now, if they get bored, they'll chew it up. Sorry for them, they get the plastic crate bottom only. As far as the wet bedding "bothering her," get rid of this notion. This is applying human logic to a dog and doesn't work. This could actually make it far worse -- make her more and more accepting of a situation most dogs would really not like. Just remove the bedding.!

You said an hour and a half -- so -- now only leave her in an hour. The more successful potty events outside you can have with praise for each one puts you ahead.

Again, you should really start your own thread explaining what you've tried and your routines to get the best feedback!

Good luck!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princey009 View Post
I am so glad that all of you think I am abusing my pup and think I do not have patience. I have spoken with many trainers here in OHIO. YES I AM IN OHIO FOR THOSE WHO ARE SO DANG CURIOUS. We have tried quite a few methods. A swat on the butt does not hurt. To each their own. HOLY CRAP DON'T CALL PETA ON ME OR CPS FOR SWATTING BUTTS!! oh AND --- (Yes I can compare to my pup TO my kids because she is like one of my kids) but hey, none of you care about that. I am damaging her. Poor pitiful thing that gets love from all of us, very expensive CANIN food, tons of toys, and training. Pathetic. You are a bunch of Ridiculing people. I will go elsewhere for advice and constructive criticism.

And from the get go, I said I don't want to get rid of her... (In other words, I love this da*n dog, she won't stop pi**ing in the house no matter what training, I'm at my wits end, I need help.) no that's not love at all.

I came here for help, not bashing. Thanks EVERYONE!!! Greatly appreciated.
Sorry you feel that way. Well, not that sorry. I have no tolerance for humans that hit dogs in an attempt to train the dog, much less in an attempt to train a pup.

You appear deaf when it comes to suggestions. You don't want to follow the best of suggestions that many have offered -- eyes on dog, schedule, no physical punishment, etc.

You want to do it your way and make it work and all anyone has said, (and not one person on your thread has agreed with your methods,) that you need to look at this thing differently and do things differently. You don't want to. Why did you make the post??

You come across as quite indignant and angry that folks won't support you hitting your dog. You are indeed on the wrong forum if you think anyone is going to back that.

You can purchase the best of everything for the dog -- just as some humans buy the best of everything for the children -- but without the time, patience and structure, it all fails. Buying great toys and food doesn't automatically make you a great owner. I don't know what trainers you refer to would support you hitting your dog during potty training. I'd fire them.

If you REALLY want to potty train this dog, re-read this thread many times. Seriously, just do it. Search this forum on housebreaking and you'll see the same advice over and over and over again and NONE of it will involve physical punishment! It will ALL advise constant eyes on pup. Let the ego calm down and just... read. For the sake of the pup you say you love, just do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Then lay your ego aside and do right by the dog.
Dogs aren't kids and do not learn the same.
Yes.

Last edited by chelle; 08-15-2012 at 09:47 PM.
chelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #58 (permalink)

I too have a problem with my dog peeing in her crate. We have a 7 month old female that we thought was potty trained, however, in the last week, she has started peeing in her crate again. When she was 6 weeks old, we discovered she had a UTI. After treating the first one, she ended up with 2 more before she was 4 months old. Currently, she is clear of any infection. I have been giving her probiotics once a week and am wondering if I shouldn't be giving it to her daily? I have had 2 other GSDs and they were so easy to potty train. Anybody have any ideas? I am getting so frustrated with this problem! We are letting her out every hour during the day, to potty and that makes no difference. Please help!!!
Meisha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.