Land Shark 101 - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have this same problem with Harley, he is 16 weeks and such a little bugger! The amount of times he's got me crying over it He is getting somewhat calmer, so I guess whatever we're doing is going through.

The only thing is, he never goes to bite my dad but whenever he does my dad likes to rile him up a bit and get him excited. Which is extremely irritating
Harley93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

All this biting is very normal and a developmental stage pups need to go through. This is how puppies play and interact with their world, and use their mouth as they have no hands. They outgrow the land-shark phase around six months of age - so it takes a while.

The BEST way to deal with this is to give your puppy lots of exercise, and to redirect always. A tired puppy is a good puppy! (Sing this Mantra everday, it will direct your aim and goals for the pup for the day, and save your sanity). Some pups get over-tired and like toddlers, act up and have little bitey tantrums. They are too young to be able to discipline themselves to stop and sleep if tired, so when you see that despite tons of play, fetch, tug, and on and off leash walks and outdoor hikes you have a little wound-up Tasmanian Devil, then it is time to crate and let the pup have a nap. It is actually a good idea to work nap-time into their regular schedule.

For redirecting, you have to do this a bazillion times a day. Soft, tuggy toys work better for this, and don't just stuff the toy in the pup's mouth, that is boring, pup will drop toy and come after you for more interactive play - so stuff toy in pup's mouth and PLAY!! Tug with him! Let pup win! Let him know that he is the BEST puppy in the whole world! That is a game they will want to play over and over again, and just it to your advantage. Playing by chasing, grabbing, tugging, are strong survival skills that the pup is practicing as play behaviour, and being such basic survival instincts, it does not get re-programmed over-night, so patience!!!

Enjoy the pup, eventually, it does get better.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
I came close to this tonight, when he went crazy on me.
When did it stop? I am feeling a little overwhelmed right now...
I think it finally ended after Stella finished teething. It really is like having an overtired toddler. Like I said, for me the yelping or yelling or trying to physically stop her, just ramped her up. I really did sit on the floor many times just crying. (as Stella continued to bite me!) What seemed to work for me was to try to calm her down. Her preferred method was belly rubs. And if she didn't calm down....a good game of tug. And a lot of exercise to tire her out. Hang in there. It really does pass.
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

These are two really good trainers - have a look at their videos - see if they help.

How To Train Puppy To Stop Biting! - YouTube

Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdog5911 View Post
It really is like having an overtired toddler. Like I said, for me the yelping or yelling or trying to physically stop her, just ramped her up.
Yup, this is what I had. The tug suggestion was invaluable. Fixed the problem by 90%
Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hey guys, I just wanted to let everyone know how helpful this thread had been. I had a little moment last night where I was extremely stressed out over my 8 week-old pup, but reading this thread its good to know that it's perfectly normal and I've just got to rough it out.
jetbootz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Sooooo glad I am not the only one going through this. I have tried everything but it's not stopped it. My pup is almost 12 weeks and he becomes the devil when he is over-tired and he has a kind of tantrum and tries to get the last bite in when he has been firmly told no. I have ripped trousers from standing there ignoring him. He lets go eventually but it pains me hearing my trousers rip! It's also very difficult to ignore him when he has flesh in his mouth and I am in pain. I've tried turning my back and the time outs but when you think he has calmed down, he runs for you and starts all over again.

I was told at puppy class not to tug with him or play chase games as that would just encourage him to tug at clothes more. He loves to tug though. He does, however, LOVE his flirt pole and gets mega excited when he sees it. The breeder told me to make one as this would help to tire him out. I do that twice a day for about 5 minutes. I also take him walking twice a day for about 15 minutes each time. I fill Kongs up in the morning and afternoon which he really has to work at the get the treats out and I also give him meaty bones to chew on.

When he is calm he is lovely and his biting is more gentle. A tummy rub or bitter apple spray in his mouth are the only two things that can momentarily stop his biting - but it starts again soon after.

It's very frustrating.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Yup, this is what I had. The tug suggestion was invaluable. Fixed the problem by 90%
What happens when you stop the tug game? Does he then start on you or is he too worn out by then? I was told by the trainer at puppy class that tugging would just encourage him to tug at clothes more.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Ale & Renzo Send a message via Skype™ to Ale & Renzo

Yelping worked for me...
the first 2 days... Now he seems to know im bluffing (maybe i need to work on my yelping?)

A little game of ball throwing or stuffed cow tug of war fixes it though, he EVENTUALLY gets tired and goes to sleep
Old 02-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

My Howie is 4.5 months old and still bites often. He does have a soft bite, but we really have to be careful when he gets excited.

Have you hugged your dog today?
Billn1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.