Too hyper - no longer listening sometimes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Too hyper - no longer listening sometimes

He was getting really good. No longer pee's insides - on rare occasions I've caught him in the act but I usually open the door and he stops and goes outside to finish. He was also listening at a point in time... but now he's just so hyper, and when we say NO BITING, he continues to bite (he stopped biting for a while), he's went back to full-on painful biting continuously and wont go after toys, he just wants hands. He'll even bite our face, not as snappy as he would a hand, gently will open his mouth and bite down, or try to on the face. (i know he's still teething).

We say NOT GOOD in a stern serious voice, and he thinks we're joking. He also tries to bite Bingo a lot, and even pulls out Bingo's fur now. Bingo could be sitting there sleeping, and Simba will just go up, and bite a chunk of fur off of him and provoke Bingo to attack back.

He now has his second set of shots at this point, so I was going to call the trainer I found and throw him right into obedience classes. Is this a good route? He's now 14 weeks. They have Puppy classes (2 weeks into the course though), Beginner and eventually intermediate. As well as At-home training which I'll eventually resort to, to calm the feud between Simba and Bingo.

man they were doing so good too. I don't know where this hype came out of, it's getting out of control, he's being extremely bad :| chewing everything, jumping ON bingo, jumping on me, biting at face. idk what to do.

Puppy Loves:
Simba - December 16th, 2011
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
1337f0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337f0x View Post
He was getting really good. No longer pee's insides - on rare occasions I've caught him in the act but I usually open the door and he stops and goes outside to finish. He was also listening at a point in time... but now he's just so hyper, and when we say NO BITING, he continues to bite (he stopped biting for a while), he's went back to full-on painful biting continuously and wont go after toys, he just wants hands. He'll even bite our face, not as snappy as he would a hand, gently will open his mouth and bite down, or try to on the face. (i know he's still teething).

We say NOT GOOD in a stern serious voice, and he thinks we're joking. He also tries to bite Bingo a lot, and even pulls out Bingo's fur now. Bingo could be sitting there sleeping, and Simba will just go up, and bite a chunk of fur off of him and provoke Bingo to attack back.

He now has his second set of shots at this point, so I was going to call the trainer I found and throw him right into obedience classes. Is this a good route? He's now 14 weeks. They have Puppy classes (2 weeks into the course though), Beginner and eventually intermediate. As well as At-home training which I'll eventually resort to, to calm the feud between Simba and Bingo.

man they were doing so good too. I don't know where this hype came out of, it's getting out of control, he's being extremely bad :| chewing everything, jumping ON bingo, jumping on me, biting at face. idk what to do.
LOL... sorry reading your thread just reminded me of Molly when she was a pup!!!! We started ob at Simba's age it's a great idea to enroll! Play, play, play and try to tier out the little bugger!
Miss Molly May is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I think you are falling into the 'trap' many of us do with our GSD pups.

We think we have a crazy out of control nutjob dog.

When INSTEAD we actually have a 100% NORMAL German Shepherd PUPPY! He is NOT being 'bad' and when we look at our puppies with that mindset we are doing them a GREAT dis-service

They are not being bad (their fault ?) they are being BORED ( OUR FAULT! )

At 14 weeks, they are certainly growing but still absolutely puppies. And our job with a GSD puppy can be WAY harder than other puppy breeds. This is why other people don't understand! What makes our breed so great at so many tasks when adults is exactly the same ISSUES that a normal GSD puppy has that try our patience and frustrate us.

NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL.

But how we react is vital and not what 'other' people HAVE to do with their dogs. And real OFFICIAL obedience classes are probably way too much until at least 6 months (or later ??) Like sending a 7 yr old human child to college to straighten them out when mentally that's not going to help at all.

EXERCISE! Real off leash miles and miles at least 3 times a week help me. Stuff like

Far as training, I'd be much less strict and demanding with the mindset of MAKING a puppy behave. And instead use my big brain to figure out a way to TEACH my puppy to WANT to listen/learn/behave with ME!

Many people join this forum and miss the Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums section that is full of useful information.

If you spend the time on Engagement - Key to Training you'll also start noticing remarkable changes in your puppy.

I wouldn't 'waste' any time on 'obedience' training right now but instead get out the clicker and treats and work on Teaching a trick is the least important part of teaching a trick

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

All I do is play with him when I get home from work, in the morning before work. Only time I don't play is between the hours of 7:15-5:15pm when I'm out for work! He plays with my parents and his dad (my bf) all day! Even runs around out back with Bingo.

How bored can he get! Lol. I play with him with his Nylabone-keys, his duck, his rope, his ball, his giant soccer ball (i dont know how he likes it so much lol). I walk him all the time. (Found a grassy area near by so I can walk him longer ^_^) and he just never gets tired. I get tired!

Maggie, thanks for the advice - his "obedience" classes, are just Puppy classes with other dogs his age, between 10weeks to 1 year old. Socialization, "sit" (which he can do) - all for just $135, not so much a loss for 6 weeks I find.

I really did read everything I could on here! Everything! I used the search function too. I'm such a fail parent lol. Not even my first dog or puppy. I'm just fail lol. I'm going to go to work (when simba falls asleep after play time tonight) - and re-read these and watch the videos, clearly I've missed something lol

Puppy Loves:
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, start in obedience classes right away. Sounds like it would be helpful for both of you. As far as the biting goes/devildog behavior, try to distract and redirect him. Don't just say "no", say "No" and then give him an alternative (like a toy). If he's still nuts, time him out away from you for a few minutes. If he returns and is crazy (assuming he's had lots of exercise and mental stimulation), he needs quiet time. Puppies, like human kids, get hyper crazy when they are overtired/overstimulated and don't know when/how to calm down so a rest period in a crate would help.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sounds like he is maybe starting to teeth? Have you tried frozen marrow bones? Sometimes when they can really chew on something for while it will calm that behavior right down.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337f0x View Post
All I do is play with him when I get home from work, in the morning before work. Only time I don't play is between the hours of 7:15-5:15pm when I'm out for work! He plays with my parents and his dad (my bf) all day! Even runs around out back with Bingo.

How bored can he get! Lol. I play with him with his Nylabone-keys, his duck, his rope, his ball, his giant soccer ball (i dont know how he likes it so much lol). I walk him all the time. ) - all for just $135, not so much a loss for 6 weeks I find.

I really did read everything I could on here! Everything! I used the search function too. I'm such a fail parent lol. Not even my first dog or puppy. I'm just fail lol. I'm going to go to work (when simba falls asleep after play time tonight) - and re-read these and watch the videos, clearly I've missed something lol
You are not a failure. THis really is a challenge for MOST of us!

I know you are spending alot of time with him, and that's great. But as they grow they need more/different time and experience. So what we USED to do, and was enough, suddenly is NOT.

OFF leash activities are key for my pups. And it's not just about the miles they walk/run/trot/stop on their own pace. It's the NEW places. NEW smells. NEW sights and sounds. The mental stimulation from the squirrels/birds/smell of the mice in the woods. Me playing hide-and-seek to keep the puppy partially paying attention to me the entire time.

The NEW places that involve a car ride and activities outside the normal house/yard/family.

And not just 'playing' but engagement training that allows teaching and 'tricks' to be mixed in.

I'm all on board with any puppy appropriate classes cause that also involves the car ride with the meeting new things in a new place!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
The NEW places that involve a car ride and activities outside the normal house/yard/family.

And not just 'playing' but engagement training that allows teaching and 'tricks' to be mixed in.

I'm all on board with any puppy appropriate classes cause that also involves the car ride with the meeting new things in a new place!

Oh he gets his car rides! Sadly, he only likes our Cavalier which we're trying to get rid of currently. We're trying to get him used to our different vehicles but just wont. He enjoys the drives, but open window = no no, he'll try to hop out... He jumped out of my bfs parked jeep! THAT'S HIGH UP! Landed on feet and was completely ok. He just doesn't like the jeep!

I'm going to take him to the dog park this weekend with his extended leash and walk him around a bunch. With a frisbee or something just for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotasmom23 View Post
Don't just say "no", say "No" and then give him an alternative (like a toy). If he's still nuts, time him out away from you for a few minutes. If he returns and is crazy (assuming he's had lots of exercise and mental stimulation), he needs quiet time.
I try to distract with his toys, but he just goes back to the hands. The time outs don't work either. He just comes right back to me, licks me a bunch then goes back to the hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
Sounds like he is maybe starting to teeth? Have you tried frozen marrow bones? Sometimes when they can really chew on something for while it will calm that behavior right down.
He's been teething. I check his teeth daily (he lets me, without biting) and they're almost completely gone. The Elk Antler has helped a lot, but I need a new one, there's almost no marrow left in his current.

Puppy Loves:
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
Old 03-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks to the OP for posting this. I thought I was the only one with a possessed pup. Mine also likes to knibble and bite our hands...thanks to this post I've learned it is normal behavior having to do with teething and lack of stimulation.
mosul210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well, I can save you ONE personal trainer visit... yours sounds like Wendy harassing Bailey - the trainer gave us a spray bottle of a 60-40 water-vinegar solution.

When Wendy bites or pounces Bailey - she gets squirted in the face. When she jumps on me - squirt in the face. Coming in the door and bum rushing us - a squirt in the face. When she bites - we push in to her mouth until she lets go or just zap her in the face with the spray (but then you smell like vinegar for a while and we don't like that).

Seriously - it works like a dream. And don't say anything but nuh-uh when you squirt or push into the bite.

Now Wendy is doing the front teeth only nibbles on our arms when we pet or sit next to her - and only on our clothes. We just get a toy and give it to her - a fluffy toy.

For about 2 months - everyone in the house was walking around with a spray bottle on their hips and a fluffy toy in their hand - like gunslingers in the old west. We all got really good and the draw - sometimes, when we saw Wendy's right ear flop (a telltale sign of up and coming pouncing or biting) all 4 of us would draw and be ready to spray. She had it coming from all directions!
Bailey (Choco Lab)
Chachi, Bonnie, Rico, Jelly Bean and Hank (Da Birds)
Kayla Marie
WendyDsMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.