Pee Pad Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pee Pad Training

So I finally got Simba pee pad trained and during the day he goes to the door when he wants to pee.

Last night my boyfriend asked me to put the pee pad next to his bed so he doesn't have to go to the other side of the room to pee. What does Simba do? He walks right over the pee pad, to the other side of the bed where he normally goes potty, and pee's on the brand new hard wood floor.

I wasn't mad at all. In fact, I laughed lol. There was a method to my madness of the pee pad being AWAY from his bed. Well in any case, I think we all learned our lesson last night.

LESSON OF THE NIGHT: DO NOT MOVE YOUR PUPPY'S PEE PAD

Puppy Loves:
Simba - December 16th, 2011
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
1337f0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Unfortunately, that is one of the problems with using pee pads. Even once you try and remove the pad, if it has already become a habit and learned behaviour, it will be extremely hard to break and you could find him peeing on the hardwood floor in the same spot for a long time to come.

My sister's fiance has a bulldog, and they trained him to go on pee pads in the kitchen when they weren't home. Now, 3+ years later, he has free roam of the house and can hold his bladder for hours, but if he doesn't feel like he can hold it, he will run to the exact same spot the pee pads used to be.

It's cute when its a little puddle of puppy pee, not when its pee from an 80 pound dog.

I really would advise to wake up every few hours in the middle of the night and take him out. It will be a habit that will be really hard to break if he learns he can just pee when you're sleeping.
*Lisa* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would discourage the use of pee pads IMO it seems to derail potty training goals. Just tag team taking the pup outside with your boyfriend & he will catch on quickly. There will be some trips outside in the middle of the night. When you take him out, no talking or playing, he does his buisness "good boy or good outside" and back in to sleep.

I just wouldn't want my pup thinking peeing in the house is ever ok & those pads are confusing
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Oh gosh - I thought that kind of training left with the 60s unless it was something like a chihuahua.

Are you in a high rise apartment or something where just taking the puppy outside wouldn't work.

How old is the puppy-if it needs to go at night it should be in a crate and wake you up to take it out or you wake up on a schedule. JMO.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I remember my parents coming to see my boy when we brought him home & her saying "where do you keep the newspaper or pee pads?". I told her no way in heck were we using those and her being so confused. LOL

I swear potty training was fast & easy...yes we were tired but those trips outside in the middle of the night became less & less. If you crate train it really makes a difference as well.

I would keep my rainboots, jacket & flashlight by the back door to make things easier.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would nix the pee pad and opt for crating at night. If Simba is over 12 weeks he should be able to hold it from 11 or 12- 6 or 7 in the morning and sleep in his crate. In just a few weeks one massive pee from him is going to overflow that pad and soak your floors.
Zoeys mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

I also just have visions of a puppy grabbing one of the pee pads and throwing it around the room
Old 03-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For me...I'd rather get up in the middle of the night for a potty break, then to have to clean up potty pads. Blech.

I can see the need for them when you are located in an apt. building. I've often wondered about racing down flights of stairs..or down an elevator with a puppy who has to potty. I've had to yank out of a kennel and race to the door with a pup who had to go so bad it's eyes were floating. I couldn't imagine having to race further than a couple of feet!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Since I use the kitchen to confine my pups I do put newspaper/pee pad down. Unfortuantely (I should say fortunately) we both work and it was too long of a time span for crate. I never had a problem and in a very short period of time Lakota was holding it till my husband got home, boy was he happy to not have to clean up. I'd rather give the pup the option to go on a pad then pee all over the floor while I wasn't home.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

I can understand the need for pee pads if it is your last available option during the day while you are at work, or if you live in an apartment for sure.

However, this case is during the night, in the bedroom, and during the day they're letting the pup out when he's asking to do so (a great step!). The pee pads really will just teach the pup that it doesn't have to hold it throughout the night, and that its okay to pee on a certain part of the bedroom floor.

I'd much rather use a crate, take the pup out every few hours and avoid the pee pads completely. It is a huge pain getting up during the night, but its so worth it and will help house training along much faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.