Pee Pad Training - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I lived on the third floor of an apartment when we got our boy. We purchased puppy pads and didn't even open them...had really old hardwood floors which were easy to clean up when he did make a mistake. I also strongly suggest not using the pads, it really hinders the potty training, we had ours trained to ring a bell within 2 weeks and he was sleeping through the night just fine (12 to 6).
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

I try to avoid the pads at all cost, it's just put there on nights when I absolutely have no energy to wake up because of my work day or day in general, that being last night for example of the use. He usually wont wake up, or my bf will take him out D:

I feel bad cutting off water before bed time that's why he pees at night, and he drinks a lot of water.

Puppy Loves:
Simba - December 16th, 2011
Bingo - March 16th, 2004
1337f0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Like anything consistency pays off. Pups are inconvenient at that age, like babies. But he is getting old enough to hold it all night, especially if you withhold the water.

It would be far kinder to do that and crate him than to confuse him with what you are doing. GSDs are so darned easy to housebreak in the first place.......

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Waking up in the middle of the night sucks, but it's only for a short while, and best for all parties involved if you do.

I find that Jazmyn thrives on a routine. Same bed time, same nightly routine, same wake up time, meal times, etc. "Go to your crate" is part of that routine and she knows that its bedtime. She actually knows that its bedtime when we're getting ready to take her out for her last potty break, and she gets very happy, tail wagging, to get her few treats and go to sleep.

Putting Simba into a habit now is going to be really beneficial for you later on. Once he's full reliable, and you can trust him to be alone, you can remove the crate. But for now, crating will help him learn that nighttime does not equal potty time.
*Lisa* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337f0x View Post

LESSON OF THE NIGHT: DO NOT MOVE YOUR PUPPY'S PEE PAD
I think the lesson might actually be: Look how I taught my puppy to pee in the house in the same spot.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had a friend who used pee pads with his golden retriever. The dog would hit the pad, but also the wall, the floor, and basically anything close to that pad.

His house stunk like urine all the time... it was disgusting.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Withholding water at night isn't unkind, especially if they've had all day with it. It helps set your puppy into a routine.
It's almost like picking up the food dish after not eating for 10 minutes. You gave pup lots of access to water during the day, maybe she'll be a bit thirsty for the first 2 days, but she'll quickly learn to get her drinking done during the day. Humans tend to not drink a ton of water before bed either, because it SUCKS to wake up needing to pee.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The other concern is that I have managed to sucesfully housebreak all my dogs but one - a terrier who was a kennel dog and was 2 when I got him...he was the wrong dog for my first dog as an adult and I made plenty of mistakes and very few used dog crates back then.

I have yet to have a puppy though who has not chewed up or swallowed some forbidden object. Fortunately I have had only one $700 vet bill from this about 9 years ago -- but they are amazing with what they will eat and no matter what you do something can get snatched up and gone in a hearbeat. No way a puppy that age would be loose at night. My 8 month old does not have that kind of freedom because I know I can't trust him yet. Each dog is different but when those teeth start cutting.......hooo boy.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lisa* View Post
I also just have visions of a puppy grabbing one of the pee pads and throwing it around the room
i'm pretty sure that is what Kaos would do

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Barb E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

I have a strange predicament. I'm following a training guide that suggests not fussing over the dog right when I get home. Home is on an upper floor. She's too young to go on walks (she's close...next 5 or so days probably). She's going inside...I'm experimenting with a pee pad where she has been going.m not sure when to put the pee pad out. She does sometimes think it's for playing with, which is hard to do much about when I'm trying to ignore her. All this said, she's doing really well in almost every other way.

Edit to add search words The Dog Listener and Amichien Bonding

Last edited by Malika; 01-10-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Malika is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.