Still not potty trained at 5 months... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Still not potty trained at 5 months...

Hi guys,

My 5 month old pup is still not potty trained. He SELDOM makes mistakes in the house but today he just peed on the carpet and I'm getting frustrated because I feel like at this point this shouldn't be happening anymore.

On top of this, he still pees in his crate about daily - yes, DAILY. I thought they were supposed to be able to hold it for their age in months in hours plus 1-2 more hours? So at this age he should be able to hold it for a good 5-6 hours. It's not like we don't take him out to pee. Sometimes he'll poop in his crate as well.

Any advice?
alphatyson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

First, rule out a UTI.

Second, make his crate smaller so he has enough room to turn around and lay down.

Third, NO freedom in the house. Must be on a leash until this is solved.

How are you cleaning up his accidents? Are you using an enzyme cleaner of any kind?
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have an almost 5 month old female and she was driving me crazy with accidents--in the crate and in the house. I got her fixed almost two weeks ago and I noticed a difference pretty quickly.. She now tells me she has to go, even if it is every hour I do take the water away by 6pm. Just lots of patience and maybe a smaller crate..unless he's like mine and doesn't mind playing in it I don't feel like mine will be completely potty trained for another good couple months. She can hold it overnight and all day, its just when I'm home that there is a problem...therefore its me thats the problem
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
First, rule out a UTI.

Second, make his crate smaller so he has enough room to turn around and lay down.

Third, NO freedom in the house. Must be on a leash until this is solved.

How are you cleaning up his accidents? Are you using an enzyme cleaner of any kind?
His crate is only big enough for him to turn around and lay down.

He barely has accidents in the house and it's mainly peeing in the crate that I'm concerned about. He does whine and let us know he wants to go out and I'm usually pretty good about that (or I'd like to think =]).

I use Petzyme (I think?) to clean his stuff up but as far as accidents inside his crate, I only switch the padding and wipe up any excess pee. Do you think this is the problem? I thought puppies aren't supposed to go in their crates no matter what. Also... he will whine sometimes if he is about to pee in his crate so I know that he knows he isn't supposed to pee in there. Therefore, I'm not sure if improper cleaning is the issue here.
alphatyson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Also...if he eats and drinks before he is crated...expect an accident.
No different than potty training a young child.......nothing to drink or eat close to bed time....*crate time for puppies...LOL*
The more the bladder and intestines have to hold......the faster they have to release.
5mos old is still young.....they will have accidents....mine does.
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Puppies will go in their crate if they have no choice. Then it becomes a learned behavior.

I would do what Robin said and make sure you take him out about 15 minutes after you feed him and he drinks.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.