Is my puppy in her crate too much? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is my puppy in her crate too much?

Jada is about 8 months old and her schedule during the week is something to this effect.

6:00 AM - Wake up and she goes outside for about 15-20 minutes and just roams around while I get breakfast ready
6:20 AM - She eats her breakfast in her crate and I leave for work so she's in her crate for about 1 hour until 7:20
7:20 AM - My wife takes her out and plays/trains with her in the yard until about 7:50. Then she's crated until lunch time...
12:00 - Go home and train/let her out for about 30 minutes then back to the crate
4:00-5:00 - I get home and let her out we play/train for about 30-1 hour and then she's back in her crate for dinner.
7:30 - She comes out to play etc. for about 30-45 minutes then back to crate
9:30 - She comes back out to play etc. for about 30-45 minutes then back to her crate for the night. She doesn't usually go out at night but sometimes I wake up and let her out at like 3 AM.

Does this sound fairly normal to you other FULLTIME working people. If you don't work a fulltime job I honestly don't care what you do with your dog. I'm not looking for your response since your situation is completely different.

I wish I could let Jada out to run around from 5:00 all the way to bed but there's just no way. Our house would be torn to shreds. She gets bored and starts gnawing on everything. She NEVER EVER lays down when she's out of her crate...the only way we can get her to lay down and take a chill pill is to crate her. Is that just how we do it at 8 months?
geissap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm at work about 10 hrs a day, and I have about 1/2 hr travel time each way so its a total of 11 hrs that I'm out of the house. When my dog was a puppy she was crated a lot. Similar to your schedule, but I did let her out when I was home for short periods of time...but I had to watch her like a hawk. LOL She was confined to only the kitchen and family room. Up until about 3 months ago or so, she was in her crate from the time I left to work until I could get home at lunch, and then she was back in her crate until I got home. My dog was a serious chewer when she was younger. But one thing I did notice once I started letting her out of her crate more and giving her more freedom was that she started to calm down more. Now she is 21 months old and she is left out of her crate all day and she comes and goes outside via her doggie door. She hasn't chewed anything in a very long time.

Do you take Jada out on walks? Socialize her with other dogs? Do you take her to an obedience class? I do know that really helped with my dogs energy level and it helped calm her down as she got older.

Other than the fact that I left my dog out in the evenings, I had a very similar schedule that you have.
Pattycakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I want to comment on the times she is crated when you are home for the evening. I think you should try to keep her out as much as possible when you are home with her. She needs to LEARN what not to chew on, what is okay to, and simply what good house manners are from YOU. I know it is exhausting to monitor her constantly, especially after a long day of work! But just having her out to play and then putting her back isn't going to allow you to shape her behavior as much. I have read somewhere on here a few times about tethering a pup to you so she can't sneak off and get into mischief--
It does get better with time and training!
Kris10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm wondering why she eats her meals in her crate? My husband and I both work full time. We're up with him at 6:00 a.m. when he goes out, plays and eats his breakfast until I leave around 7:30 a.m. We have a neighbor who comes over 3x day to let him out, feed him lunch and play with him. I get home around 5....take him out, walk him for an hour, do some training with him [at home] and he eats dinner. While we eat dinner, if he's too attentive to us and our food, we put him in a time out [no crate though]. We do this by having his leash on a hook which limits his ability to walk around. He is 7 months old and still learning commands so the time out re-enforces to stay away from our food. I have also trained him to "settle" [lay down] when I want him calm. We've learned that enough exercise is directly related to how "wild" he behaves...when he doesn't get enough, he's all over but when he's had enough, he really listens and obeys our commands.
Cuddles GSD mix - 3/6/92 -12/2009
Tiger GSD mix - 3/6/92 - 1997
Judahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree with you, Kris10. I think my dog as she was growing up thought her name was "leave it", "no", "down". LOL It can be exhausting to watch them very closely when you get home when all you want to do is rest and relax a little...but it does help them get rid of their energy and learn what is right and wrong.
Pattycakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with Kris. Why is the dog in the crate in the evenings when you are home?
Also by 8 months she should be able to sleep out of the crate at night. Simply put a doggie gate up (assuming she sleeps in your room) and she should sleep through the night.

Mine start sleeping at night out of the crate at 5 months. They have beds in my room and I have a doggie gate up and there are issues.

Your dog is in the crate an awful lot. What about the weekends, is she out most of the weekend? I would not crate her while you are home.
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judahsmom View Post
I'm wondering why she eats her meals in her crate? My husband and I both work full time. We're up with him at 6:00 a.m. when he goes out, plays and eats his breakfast until I leave around 7:30 a.m. We have a neighbor who comes over 3x day to let him out, feed him lunch and play with him. I get home around 5....take him out, walk him for an hour, do some training with him [at home] and he eats dinner. While we eat dinner, if he's too attentive to us and our food, we put him in a time out [no crate though]. We do this by having his leash on a hook which limits his ability to walk around. He is 7 months old and still learning commands so the time out re-enforces to stay away from our food. I have also trained him to "settle" [lay down] when I want him calm. We've learned that enough exercise is directly related to how "wild" he behaves...when he doesn't get enough, he's all over but when he's had enough, he really listens and obeys our commands.
I've been told by many to have her eat in her crate. It helps them realize the crate is a good place. I wish we had someone to let our dog out 3 times a day but unfortunately that's just a no go. Overall this doesn't sound much different from us. Jada knows alot of commands, she goes to obedience school regularly, we do walk her (although something is up with her paw right now we were trying to rest it off but she's still babying it so we're gonna have to take her in since we can't find anything) but she gets worked pretty good. Alot of training, alot of ball, alot of frisbee, she sometimes runs with me short distances, etc.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDAlphaMom View Post
I agree with Kris. Why is the dog in the crate in the evenings when you are home?
Also by 8 months she should be able to sleep out of the crate at night. Simply put a doggie gate up (assuming she sleeps in your room) and she should sleep through the night.

Mine start sleeping at night out of the crate at 5 months. They have beds in my room and I have a doggie gate up and there are issues.

Your dog is in the crate an awful lot. What about the weekends, is she out most of the weekend? I would not crate her while you are home.
I literally laughed out loud when I read this. Your dog must have a much different personality then ours. There is NO WAY on this planet earth I could let her sleep in our room at night. We would wake up to a torn carpet, torn pillows, chewed on furniture, etc. She wouldn't lay down...she never lays down when she's out of her crate. There is NO WAY she would lay in a doggie bed. She would chew it up, take the cotton out, etc. And she knows off! She just doesn't stay off for long. She gets bored. Same with down...I could put her in a down and she would stay down for maybe a minute but then she's gonna get up and start exploring. I could try tethering her at night, but then I'm like what's the point? If I tether her I might as well crate her so she's more comfortable?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can see crating her when you are not home and crating her when you are sleeping. My boy is 2 years old and he is still crated when I am not home but he is no longer crated at night.

But when you are home and not sleeping then she should not be in her crate.

Too much crate time.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
I can see crating her when you are not home and crating her when you are sleeping. My boy is 2 years old and he is still crated when I am not home but he is no longer crated at night.

But when you are home and not sleeping then she should not be in her crate.

Too much crate time.
What do you do when people come over? Like a large group...we often have 8-10 people over on a weekday night for a 2 hour bible study. Usually we crate her then...because she likes to jump, grab people's shoes, demands attention, and not everyone likes dogs. What do you do in this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.