Separation anxiety - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Separation anxiety

This probably isn't a new topic.. sorry.
But I'm wondering how to stop anxiety. If somebody leaves, anybody, she flips out and starts barking and crying then goes outside and barks. Even if you leave the same room she's in and close the door she will sit at the door and try to run out when you come back in. How do I teach.. or un teach, this behaviour? Or at least help it?

Vida (3years) & Hype, 7 weeks
Kaity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

If someone leaves..........then I'd reward her with a peanut butter filled kong. Or steak, or cheese, or chicken............ Just have the person leave and then call her over for some treats and fun.

She play games? throw the ball.

How are dog classes? How is socialization outside of the home? How many miles is she running a week (off leash?)???

How is the crate training going?
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

How old is your dog?
ZAYDA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Zayda she is 7 and a half months now.

She does not run off leash, we're training off leash right now but she still can't be trusted because she doesn't come back when called (still, urg.)
So basically just distract her. I've been doing that. She ignores it 90% of the time. She doesn't goto doggy classes, we have private training. It's going well.
I have no idea how many miles a week she walks or jogs.. Usually 90 minutes in the morning brisk walking and jogging then another 45 minutes to an hour around 7pm and playing in the yard during the day. I don't really count playing fetch and her playing with my moms dog as exercise for her. We went to Kelowna over the weekend and she loved it.. a huge space for her to go and chase the ball off leash!
The crate training is coming along although she hasn't really been in her crate at all for the past week or so because we have been away. I'm wondering if we need to go back to when she was just brought home and we were getting her used to the crate.. put her in there random times of the day for 10 minutes and leave the room, see how she reacts.
She gets peanutbutter kongs and stuff but shes been having tooo much of it lately I believe (change in stools) so I shove apples in there with the peanut butter or frozen carrots, etc. Definitely need another kong for her now!

Old 06-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

My girl is Zayda also great name. I think to many people don't know how to use a crate and therefore give up on it way to soon. If you use a crate the right way from the beginning the crate becomes their home and a comfort spot. I feel this was your issue which has now become an anxiety issue as you call it."spoiled is what I call it"
I think you just need to take charge and let your puppy know who's boss and then she will come when you call her.No offense it's not easy to be stern but it's up to us to keep our dogs protected and safe.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh, my girl is Vida I just said Zayda as in reference to you! Haha
I never had it in my mind to stop using the crate, and I want her to be content in her crate and thats where she goes when she doesn't want to be bugged, etc.
I know I have to 'show her whos boss' but I hear people tell me that, and then they want me to YELL at my puppy. The only time I will ever yell at her again is if something is posing danger towards her. Tone is a lot more important than how loud your voice is. She gets excited when somebody yells. And she's not likely to obey right away if she KNOWS she's in trouble and somebody is yelling at her to come or something.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hello,

yelling is not the solution this is what makes them more anxious and scares them. But we can use a ferme voice, without yelling.
Showing her "who's the boss" there are many ways to do it on every day bases:
1. the doors you go first her after.
2.Ask her to sit before you open the door,
3.ask her to sit when you give food,
4.you eat first, her after...and so on, small litle things that will make her understand that is You in charge of all.

Mine used to bark when i was going to the kitchen... first I tried to calme him, then I told to myself...he barks, so what...I just ignored and he stoped.
do you give her too mutch attention? She is probably abusing a litle...Leave her alone inside, let her bark, get back to her when she stoped barking (You have to!) and treat her like she is the most wonderfull thing, so she will get the point (hopefully) I don bark is the good behaviour.

I do not know if it makes sense, it is what we did from the very first day with our dog. He can stay (5 month) 8 / 9 hours a day alone with no problem (neighbours told me he does not bark ).
florina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAYDA View Post
My girl is Zayda also great name. I think to many people don't know how to use a crate and therefore give up on it way to soon. If you use a crate the right way from the beginning the crate becomes their home and a comfort spot. I feel this was your issue which has now become an anxiety issue as you call it."spoiled is what I call it"
I think you just need to take charge and let your puppy know who's boss and then she will come when you call her.No offense it's not easy to be stern but it's up to us to keep our dogs protected and safe.
As stated YELLING has nothing to do with teaching it just means you are losing control. I am saying showing who's boss like someone above stated about you going first and also not letting them to their bowl until you walk away and say it's ok. Going up and putting your hand in YOUR food bowl that you are letting her eat out of. I also love it when my puppy is into a toy and I say HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING with a stern voice and when they look at me like what the heck did I do I smile at them and their tail wags and they get excited I love that because it gets their attention and teaches them to look at my face. Some times I just say HEY and look serious while they look up at me then I just smile. Things like this I feel anyway let your puppy know you are in charge.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't yell at her Florina. I don't believe that ignoring a behaviour makes it go away. For example, if she jumps up on somebody and they ignore her she's going to do it again with or without a reaction. You have to teach her that it's not okay instead of just ignoring it. Barking is probably a little different.
I do go first. I go first down the stairs. She needs to lay down nicely and calmly before receiving her meals. I don't really make a point to eat first or eat infront of her at all really. I work overnight and sleep during most of the day five days a week. She is definitely not getting TOO much attention. It's about quality not quantity of the attention in my eyes. Vida would get really bored if nobody was home for that long. I do try to take her everywhere I can with me.. to go see friends, my sisters house and a lot of the time I won't go out if I can't bring her. I think I'd rather spend time training her than go shopping with friends anyways haha.
If I call her name and she looks at me, she gets rewarded verbally and/or with a treat. More often than not she's not getting treats though. Should she still be getting them?

Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

sorry, I didn't mean you yell (you said you do not want to do it, so I just agreed on that).
Again, I am not an expert on training dogs I just share my experience. Because I am out so long during the day, I used to spend every single minute with mine while getting home (play, walk, so on). And I noticed that he was getting slighlty nusty, barking when I was leaving the room.

And I agree with you there are things we can not ignore on their behaviour.

Did you talk to the trainer about this problem?

Do not worry, they don't get borred, they sleep most of the time.
florina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.