Teaching Bite Inhibition - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Default Teaching Bite Inhibition

I see a lot of posts about puppies nipping, which is what puppies do. I think the goal is not so much to stop them from biting, but to teach them good bite inhibition/having a soft mouth. You can do the stopping biting quickly using negative reinforcement, or teach it slowly and as positively as possible where the dog actually LEARNS bite inhibition. And a result of this will be less and eventually no biting.

That is a huge thing for a dog to learn. I have a pack o' dogs, I get foster puppies and I never have to teach it because they do it for me. Mario will in fact lick my arm in apology if he makes a mistake and mouths me.

Since most people don't have that luck there are some articles on teaching it-that is the goal, really, bite inhibition, not stopping nipping. So yeah, can you scruff or smack a puppy and get them to stop? Yes, but can you create other problems in the process? Yes. And you want them to learn to do this as they grow.

http://www.crickethollowfarm.com/biteinhib.htm The first part is the best.

http://www.phsspca.org/training/puppy_biting.htm

http://www.clickersolutions.com/arti...PT_Puppies.htm
The other thing to remember is that you are replacing the playmates and mom that he knows and unless they had people spending a lot of time with the puppies at the breeder, they really don't know much about interacting with people. I think you'll all be fine! And as soon as shots are done, sign up for a positive based obedience class for fun!

I figured after people checked those articles out, they could post other things, or reinforce things read, that they did to help their dogs learn that bite inhibition. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/13_puppy.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2006, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Default Re: Teaching Bite Inhibition

Have seen a lot of new puppy biting posts-bumping!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thank you for the articles. I am going to call a client and see if Cesar can start playdates with his female Lab pup THIS weekend. Cesar has four adult dogs to play with daily but I need to find him a puppymate.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This topic has been made "sticky" so it will continue to be at the top of the threads in the puppy behavior forum. Thanks Jean for these great links.

New posters: please continue to add additional links, resources, bite inhibition ideas and techniques, etc. to this thread.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18...shepherd_4.gif Luca says, "Arf!"
tracyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

How I teach bite inhibition is "game over". If you do not want the puppy to bite in play or mouth- as soon as they do- get up- or stand up- and leave the room... You do not see the dog following you or react. Remember- they only continue to do something if they realize a reaction..
" game Over..". Say nothing - walk out.. And its hard because you have to be consistant- that includes resting on the couch watching a movie you waited all week to see..
borzoimom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2007, 03:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

im with borzoimon, when were playing, she can bite me, she does it soft, but as they game goes on, she can get a little rogher, usualy "no" calms it down but if not, i say "ow no" and walk away.

"Dear Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am, failing that, make everybody think like my dog"
RussUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am also currently going through the little pains of teaching bite inhibition. The methodology of teaching this has been covered very well in this forum.
Odin's progress seems to be going good at times and then he gets me with a good one. I have noticed a direct relation between unacceptable bites and his need for a bathroom break. Anyone else experienced this? The little guy seems to have a way of bringing out the kid in me and making me loose track of time. My wife just informed me "It was the same with our last GSD puppy."
aaron.whitney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm trying to teach my new pup this stuff too.

a loud NO! from me usually gets him to stop whatever he is doing, exept biting. NO! seems to have no effect...I cant get him to stop biting me. he got ahold of my hand today and bit hard started growling and then tried to tug my hand off I said NO NO a bunch tried yelping...he would not stop I finally had to grab him with my other hand and pin him on the floor, then I walked out of the room and left him there for a few minutes.
KTM450SX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Well this is timely...Max has become a terrorist lol. We are all having to keep our feet off the floor so he can't bite them! I will try these suggestions and hope it works. Either that or we are all soon to become pin cushions!
maxismom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks everybody I was starting to get so frustrated with Baron because of the endless biting. It generally seems to happen right after I bring him back in the house from going potty. His bite is so strong that I couldnt get him off my hand today and tried to get my fingers in his mouth to get him to loosen up a little so I could get my hand back while yelling in pain. I use no in the hopes that someday it will sink in cause right now it just amps him up. Mostly I subsititute what I don't want chewed aka hands feet back of your calf, with his chew bone and rope. That works about 70 percent of the time. I'm dissapointed in myself because he is just a baby and I find myself getting mad at what he's doing. I've started using the walk out of the room technique and that seems to work. Hopefully it works totally for him but its definitely working for me so I get a minute to get my head on straight so I don't yell too loud or start having a yelling conversation with him. I catch myself saying outloud "you idiot he doesn't understand english why are you yelling at him in sentences." He's the best though cause when I'm doing that he just sits there looking at me like "whats this crazy guy doing?"

RIP
Lord Baron von Stowcreek (GSD) 12/3/07-5/30/10
Murphy (chocolate lab)
Champ (black lab)
Trixie (shep mix)
Princess (malamute/shep mix)
Ponch (white GSD)
Mork (Daschund mix)
Shane (shep mix)
xwildman138x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.