Teaching Bite Inhibition - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 11:15 AM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: Teaching Bite Inhibition

Thanks guys! I have been making a high pitch "ow" sound, but I'll also try "ipe"! I know he is just being a puppy and testing out that mouth of his.

Do you guys use a "gentle" command, or just a "no bite"?

<span style="color: red">Markos Ezekiel vom Spartanville (Zeke)- Born July 2008</span>
rucker105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

when my puppy went through the nipping stage iwould hold him by the scruff of the neck and say "no biting". then i would put my hand on his mouth or rub his lips. if he didn't nip i would pet him and treat him and let him lick my hand/fingers. if he nipped (which he always did) i would repeat said action. personally i think he grew out of that stage more so than me teaching him not to nip. i think nipping is a part of their developement. i think they have to nip. i don't know why they have to do it but i truly think it's an important part of being a puppy. not to long ago i was sitting on the side of the bed putting on my shoes. my now 15 month old boy just walked over and put my knee in his mouth. there was no pressure applied. then sometime before that i was sitting at the computer with my hand hanging over the chair and he walked by and put my hold hand in his mouth. again, no pressure applied. he just did it and kept walking. when he put my hand in his mouth he had plenty of room to pass by without making contact. he actually had to move over towards me to get to my hand. when we return home and he meets us at the door he's all excited. you know, tail wagging, walking circles around us, going in and out of our legs. sometimes when i reach down to pet him while saying hello he'll often lick our hands and put them in his mouth. i think that's adult nipping but he's learned not to apply any pressure. he puts my or my GF's hand in his mouth but his mouth is open. so, do they really stop doing it or do they do it in a manner where we don't complain about it or correct it?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

when Loki jumps on the sofa with me he gets really excited. he licks and he'll put whatever part of your body neareset him in his mouth. it's not really a nip because he doesn't apply any pressure. sometimes his mouth is open and my hand or fingers are just in his mouth. sometimes i reach in his mouth and tickle the roof of his mouth. he makes this great face when i do that. most of the time when my dog puts my hand in his mouth i don't correct him because it's so slight. that nipping is something in their developement, i think. i wonder if Shep's nip more than other dogs???
Old 09-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think they do it because they are teething and it hurts. I have braces, and when they get tightened, there's a lot of pressure on my teeth, but they gave me this plastic piece to bite down on and it feels so good because it relieves the pressure. Sounds weird, but just a thought.

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
GSDOwner2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #25 (permalink)

That's where I am with Mack right now. His way of showing/returning affection is to put some part of my body in his mouth. Never any pressure any more and I really seem to be the only one he wants to do it to. When I say, "No biting," he's quick to stop but usually has to get a lick or two in, "Hey, you said no biting, nothing about licking." It seems to be a really strong urge for him. He can't seem to receive any affection without returning it with a big slobbery mouthing. Even a pat on the head. I really can't complain about it too much because I have allowed it, especially when he developed such a soft mouth. I had always let him chew on me but the yelping and ignoring when he bit too hard seemed to work very well on him. He was absolutely crushed if he thought he had hurt me.
But sometimes it becomes such a slobbery PITA. I'm hoping he'll outgrow it before I have to resort to correction for mouthing altogether.
nitetrane98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

What does slobbery PITA mean???
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris08That's where I am with Mack right now. His way of showing/returning affection is to put some part of my body in his mouth. Never any pressure any more and I really seem to be the only one he wants to do it to. When I say, "No biting," he's quick to stop but usually has to get a lick or two in, "Hey, you said no biting, nothing about licking." It seems to be a really strong urge for him. He can't seem to receive any affection without returning it with a big slobbery mouthing. Even a pat on the head. I really can't complain about it too much because I have allowed it, especially when he developed such a soft mouth. I had always let him chew on me but the yelping and ignoring when he bit too hard seemed to work very well on him. He was absolutely crushed if he thought he had hurt me.
But sometimes it becomes such a slobbery PITA. I'm hoping he'll outgrow it before I have to resort to correction for mouthing altogether.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Elite Member

Pain in the ---

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
GSDOwner2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #28 (permalink)

MY GSD puppy is a biter and as I'm going to someday train him in Schutzhund I wondered what would be the best way to get him to stop biting everyone in sight. I joined the Ivan Balabanov Yahoo group and asked Ivan the question about biting, here's what he responded. It seems to work and my puppy is biting less and less.

"it is very common that puppies will do this, the funny things is that they do it simply because of what most puppies of any breed do, it doesn't mean much about how the puppy will develop as it grows.
I would definately correct the "random attacks" so to speak. The way I
would correct it though might bedifferent depending on the level of
them etc. Some of the ways to correct, make sure you do not reward te
puppy by screaming or pulling away, wear boots around the house for
couple fo days if you have to, bite your tounge and accept few "real"
bites form the puppy, .... it will not get what he wanted from the
bites and will give it up. Make sure it has some cool toys for the
puppy needles to have fun with, rubber toy with some peanut biutter,
some small hand towel soaked with water and then refrigerated will be
also fun to play with as well as cooling of all the pain from theeting.
channeling all the energy towards a toy instead fo your body parts,
using a string attached to the toy, if you have to use a barrier
between you and the puppy in the begining so it can only interact with
the toy, finally stopping everything and grabbing the puppy and make it
behave is also a must if goes way out of control ( will NOT ruin it as
a SchH prospect I guarantee you) Controlling the house environment, kids
runing screaming, other dogs playing crazy etc will also add to the
lack of control/respect etc in a puppy, begining some puppy obedience
will also build the common language, ... what else well it will all get
better in couple of months
have fun while it lasts
Ivan
Bitework is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #29 (permalink)

This thread has been a life saver. After reading a few of the articles posted I am seeing a change in one day.

I couldn't figure out how to get Louie to stop biting legs when walking or biting arms and whatever else when playing.

Simply holding him by his collar when he tries to bite pant legs and not looking at him drives him crazy and after a few times today he isn't doing it anymore. And simply standing up when he bites when playing is starting to catch on. Hopefully we can nip this in the bud in the next couple of weeks.
MattinAustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #30 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to KohleePiper

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Count Brunowhat great info

am doing this right now saying owwwww it does work he turns his head from side to side and stops lol

thanks for the info
exactly what I'm doing and it works.... then I try not to laugh at his little head moving side to side!

Diesel - GSD Sable 09/2008
Kohlee - Belgian Groenendael 02/2007
Piper - Pit/GSD mix 08/2006
KohleePiper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.