So what's wrong with sticking their nose in..... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default So what's wrong with sticking their nose in.....

I don't have a pup yet. But with my previous dogs when I trained them not to pee or poop in the house, I stuck (very gently) their nose in that material and firmly said NO. Then I took them outside where I showed them where to go to relieve themselves and gave them lots of praise and petting at that location. It took me usually no more than a week to housebreak the pup. That's how my parents did it too.

So I'm just curious, what's wrong with this method of housebreaking? Is it damaging to the pup somehow?

Thank you,
Aneta
anetaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 02:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Default Re: So what's wrong with sticking their nose in.....

Gently or not would you want your nose shoved in your [censored]?

Theres several reasons this isn't any good. First of all if you didn't catch the dog, the dog isn't going to remember doing it 5 minutes ago. Second of all, shoving a dogs nose in it's feces and urine is just...Awful. I wouldn't trust someone who did that to me not to mention the fact dogs have such sensitive noses that things like ammonia smells have just got to bother them way worse than it bothers us. Third, doing this can lead to the dog hiding it's accidents and cause MORE potty training problems. Fourth, it's a BABY!!! Punishing it for doing what comes naturally is just wrong. Accept the fact there will be accidents. I'm sure you peed your pants/bed after you were done potty training and we all did it when we were learning. Same for dogs.

Do whats right and take your dog out every 2 hours to potty and start adding time as the dog gets older and able to hold it longer. Use crates and leashes when your dog can't be supervised or is out of the kennel so you'll know when the dog starts acting like it needs to go. If you can't do this then you don't have time for a puppy and should go for an adult.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 02:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

In some cases it backfires and they believe they're supposed to eat it, I've heard that. To my understanding, it's kind of an inhumane way to train and crate training works so much better without the negative tone to the whole scenario.
http://www.furkidswebsites.com web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
Riley's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's bullying. That's why. Regardless of how big or small you are, you outweighs your dog by at least 100+ lbs. So when you take the pup and push his nose into his own crap, there is NO gentle way to do it - not to a puppy there isn't.
Jason L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

We crate trained our dog in a week without sticking her nose in anything. If you catch them going a curt 'NO!' and swiftly taking them outside will do the trick. If you don't catch them doing it, they don't understand why you're punishing them because they need to associate the act of going in the house as the wrong thing to do, and you totally missed the act. So say you come home, there's a mess, and the dog comes over, happy to see you. If you stick the dogs nose in the mess, he's going to associate you coming home, or maybe his happy greeting, with you sticking his noise in his poo. They don't connect previous actions with punishments hours or even minutes later like people do. Even if he looks guilty it's just a reaction to your anger, not guilt at a past action.

Basically there's no need to do it, and you can train a happy, housebroken puppy without doing it.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Truly your puppy was probably housebroken because of all the praise and petting outside. I'll yell/make nosie to stop them if they are caught in the act and then rush them outside...but after the fact doesn't seem to help.

And yes I've had a sensitive puppy that would be upset about their accidents and eat it to hide it. I would rather discourage poop breath.

I like my crates.
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Tampa Bay Working Dog Club
JKlatsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Or to an adult dog. Why we ever thought that made any sense, I don't know. It was the old way of thinking and that the dogs ever learned from the ways we used to train is a tribute to their ability to figure us out despite ourselves - not a tribute to our ability to figure them out!
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I once read that the only thing that's going to teach your pup is that you are prone to moments of insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhereWhy we ever thought that made any sense, I don't know. It was the old way of thinking and that the dogs ever learned from the ways we used to train is a tribute to their ability to figure us out despite ourselves
Old school indeed. When I mentioned to my dad (74 y/o) that I was having trouble with Otto (about 4 months old) peeing in his crate, Dad insisted I rub his nose in it. I was like yeah, right before I smack him with the rolled up news paper. (I'd do neither and never even get a newspaper!)

LOL, the expression about teaching old dogs new tricks applies to old MEN, not DOGS.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Good question! I know, as a kid that was the method we used and I just don't like that method. I concur that it is just not humane and I know I'm glad my parents didn't put my nose in my poop as a baby.

I am very fortunate with Angeles. He peed only twice and pooped only once in the house. When I caught him pooping in the bedroom, I said "NAY!" "Outside" and he was ready to go outside....put his leash on and we went out to potty.

The first pee I didn't catch up. The 2nd pee I did and the same thing "NAY!" "Outside" and we went outside to potty.

I told him No first (what I don't want him to do) and then followed up with what I want him to do. He learned very quickly! The Nay was authoritative. The Outside was said in a fun way.

The first pee I did nothing to punish him. No nose in the pee. I didn't catch him while he was doing it to be able to say "NAY!" and then tell him lets go outside.... it was just my mess to clean up.

Both times the pee was after a lot of inside play. And I ran to put laundry in the dryer....first time, he got the pee out....second time, I caught him! LOL

When we went to potty, we went to potty. No playing outside. I took him to the same spot to pee each time and then into the edge of the woods to poop (he liked to hide when he pooped).
Angeles von Lobos (pronounced Angelus)
Jack
Cotton
rjvamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Would you rub a toddlers nose in their diaper if you were haveing trouble potty training him/her?

Takeing the outside and praising them are what gets them house broken.

My youngest was going to the door RELIABLY at 10 weeks and NEVER had an accident in the house.

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
BlackGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.