6 Month Old Still Peeing in House - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sunfluer
Default 6 Month Old Still Peeing in House

I'm having issues with my now 6 month old pup peeing in the house. He gets let out every 2 - 3 hours but will pee in his crate or on the floor if it's just slightly beyond the 2 - 3 hour timeframe. The only exception is overnight. He is excellent in his crate at night. His last walk is between 10 - 11 pm and up in at 6 am. We cut his water off at 7 pm.

I'm wondering if we need to neuter him early b/c of the peeing. He is not lifting his leg. We do have another 5 year old fixed male dog and do not have this issue.

I was hoping by now we can extend the length of time between outings to 4 hours but this doesn't seem possible.

Any ideas or suggestions?

DOG spelled backwards is GOD - no small wonder dogs are humans best friend.

Snickers aka Buddy Boy, (Lab) http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2534/...7d686aebbd.jpg 5/97 - 7/10/09
sunfluer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333
Default Re: 6 Month Old Still Peeing in House

I'm not sure neutering would help with the peeing. Never heard of that before.
Maybe as he gets older he'll be able to hold it longer.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Vet visit to see if there is an infection or something.
Then if he's healthy, back to basics on house training. -- Tethered to you or crated until this behavior is under control. Out after a nap, out after a play session.
No neutering will not fix this. Vigilant humans will! As the humans and the dogs adjust, the toilet breaks will become further apart.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DenaliFofaliI'm not sure neutering would help with the peeing. Never heard of that before.
Maybe as he gets older he'll be able to hold it longer.
I forgot to add, he does go outside. In fact, he's been very good about it right from the start when we got him at 9 weeks old.
We tell him "pee pee" for both pee and poop and he does his thing. I was wondering about the neutering b/c I'm not sure if he's marking or he just can't hold it.

We've been trying to give him more freedom in the house but tonight, he wandered in the hall near the door and peed on the rug. Of course, I thought he needed to go but just didn't get to him in time. The next thing, I hear the familar tingling sound.

I hope it's only b/c he needs more time. It just seems like he'll never be able to hold it past 2.5 hours and that isn't going to work. It took my yellow lab just about a year to be completely house trained. I never let my adult dogs go more than 6 hours if I can help it. And, when that happens, it's very rare.

Anyone else with this issue now or in the past?

Snickers aka Buddy Boy, (Lab) http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2534/...7d686aebbd.jpg 5/97 - 7/10/09
Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhereVet visit to see if there is an infection or something.
Then if he's healthy, back to basics on house training. -- Tethered to you or crated until this behavior is under control. Out after a nap, out after a play session.
No neutering will not fix this. Vigilant humans will! As the humans and the dogs adjust, the toilet breaks will become further apart.
Infection... would that not be apparant at night as well? He's good through the night. It's during the day if I'm not extra vigilant that it becomes an issue. Guess I can't relax just yet.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think with potty-training, the best way to do it is to prevent accidents.
Maybe you have to start from square one with him because he's not getting it yet.
Denali was the first dog I've ever potty trained and preventing the accident made it all a snap.
Could you maybe take him out a little more often? Like say every hour until he just gets in the habit of only peeing outside.

Some puppies just can't hold it so long even at 6 months. Sometimes, although rare adult dogs can't hold it long either
Old 08-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No I don't think you can relax just yet
Even with Denali who is potty trained I can't trust her. One night, she squatted in right in front of me and peed on the carpet.
I think she just had a brain fart that night but I still keep all doors closed and keep her in sight.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DenaliFofaliI think with potty-training, the best way to do it is to prevent accidents.
Maybe you have to start from square one with him because he's not getting it yet.
Denali was the first dog I've ever potty trained and preventing the accident made it all a snap.
Could you maybe take him out a little more often? Like say every hour until he just gets in the habit of only peeing outside.

Some puppies just can't hold it so long even at 6 months. Sometimes, although rare adult dogs can't hold it long either
With my lab, I would slowly space the time over a period of time until completely house trained. With my GSD, I can't seem to get him past 2.5 hours. Guess, we're still not ready to relax. My GSD needs more time.

Basically, he was letting me know by wandering over to the front door. I do know his signels. I failed to act quickly enough. He's a large boy - doesn't look like a pup with the exception that his chest and head need to fill out.

I must add, he's really a very good boy. I was wondering if there was something wrong with him but I think it's time that he needs.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think he just doesn't "get it". The fact that he CAN hold it all night shows that he physically CAN hold it longer than 2 1/2 hours.

I would NOT let him have run of the house. If you aren't able to block off doorways, put him on a leash.

Taking them out on an exact schedule an CAUSE them to go on that "schedule".

It sounds like has been taken out every 2 to 3 hours for quite a while. So he has come to EXPECT that.

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
BlackGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DenaliFofaliNo I don't think you can relax just yet
Even with Denali who is potty trained I can't trust her. One night, she squatted in right in front of me and peed on the carpet.
I think she just had a brain fart that night but I still keep all doors closed and keep her in sight.
How old is Denali? I know what you mean, Sirius did that in the crate - looked right at me and peed. I felt awful b/c I should've known he needed to go. When I called his named, he stopped peeing. In that situation, I was able to usher him outside for him to finish and praise him.

Guess I'm feeling inpatient...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.