How do i get my puppy to come? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do i get my puppy to come?

So I have tried getting Jaxson to come when I say his name then "come" but he will not! LOL He has a little attitude and there are days when I will call him and he turns his back and lays down.. I find it kinda funny but my husband says its not a good sign that he wont come when called. So I tried offering food so that he comes when I call him if I have a treat.. well that always works.. but if he thinks I don't have food he will not budge. He is 16.5 weeks old.. any other suggestions?
Jaxson'smom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Has he had any kind of formal training classes? Puppy socialization etc? You might discuss what training you've done with him so other can offer advice with that in mind.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApselBear View Post
Has he had any kind of formal training classes? Puppy socialization etc? You might discuss what training you've done with him so other can offer advice with that in mind.
I have not taken him to puppy classes yet. He just had his last set of shots so he will start next week. I have taught him to sit, lay down, shake, leave it, off and working on heel. And he has picked all those up so fast. But come he just doesn't want to do it! He really does act like he could care less with that command.
Jaxson'smom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Don't use the come command if you don't think he'll come or you can't enforce it. If you say come and he ignores you and you laugh then you're teaching him he can come when he chooses.

Come is the most important command a dog can have. It could save his life one day. Turn it into a game. It shouldn't be a command.
boomer11 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

tiger starts puppy classes tomorrow and the lady said the first lesson will be the name game. so simply getting him to know good things happen when his name is called and he comes. he knows his name but he only responds when I call, he's on and off when other people call him.

if he's ignoring you go over and pick him up and bring him to where you were standing. and if he comes when called make a big deal out of it, including using food.

PS your guy knows more tricks than mine! I have to work on shake more but he keeps biting my fingers when I pick up his paw
Old 04-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Don't make coming to you an option. Either he does it himself or you make him. Attach a long lead to him. Call him with your command.. give him the oppportunity, but if not, pull him to you. Treat treat treat! and/or Play play play! He has to understand that 1- it's not an option but then when you call him it's for so much fun too!!!

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Be very careful about your tone when you are calling your dog to 'come'. If your pup is turning his back and laying down, I suspect your pup might be thinking he's being scolded. Not sure why he is, he tries to ignore the source. Remember, he is just learning the behavior. You want to make it fun, exciting and rewarding for him.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Good point Lilie.. I didn't learn that for some time when Titan was a pup and it definitely makes a difference. Even now, if he hasn't done anything but I'm maybe irritated at something and tell him to come, he is apprehensive. He comes, but there is a huge difference when I call him normally.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

So being that this is the most important thing for him to know, I can say even with all our other problems, Jake does have good recall. He ALWAYS gets a treat when he comes, and then released. I never call him to follow with anything negative. I can redirect him with play or whatever and then do something not so fun. As long as he doesn't associate it with the come command. If your pup will work for treats, use treats. I never did teach Jake with a lead. Just started out close, and kept expanding the distance between us. With a treat. Use a word your not gonna use everyday. I use "cum on" everyday, but for recall its "Jake KOMM" low and firm. Started from a sit, very close so he can see the treat. Recall, treat. Expand distance, Recall treat. While your getting more distance (you may want a lead) name & recall, if he looks your way or begins to walk your way, praise. Slight tug and recall(if he isn't coming right away). Eventually he'll get the idea. But true, never call him if you don't think he'll respond and you can't enforce it. And NEVER call him for anything that is followed by negative action. I call Jake during the day from the yard or other part of the house just to keep him sharp with his recall. Others may have better ways, training techniques. This way worked for us. Good luck.
Jakesworld is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Closed. Doesn't belong in the Trading Post.

Moderator Daphne
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.