Bite sleeve - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Bite sleeve

Hey fellow Forum members, I'm looking for a used bite sleeve that one of you guys might be willing to part with, not too picky what it is just as long as it works.

Also, if I can't find one from you guys, please recommend me a brand or a certain style if you guys have anything in mind. Anything is appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
LingLing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have many sleeves but am unwilling to part with any of them. Depending on the age and level of the dog, this is my favorite sleeve. It starts out on the hard side but once broke in I find it to be a great every day sleeve. It is by far the most comfortable sleeve I have used.

Compression Bite Bar Sleeve - A compression bite-bar to promote full-mouth bites
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Gappay and Schweikert have some good sleeves. Klin has some nice ones out there, i've found to be light and pretty durable. a friend of mine has ray allen compression sleeves that have to be 10+ years old easily on the flipside I went thru 3 of their trial sleeves in less than 5 years. I don't know what it means, other than I won't be spending money with Ray allen anymore

Try them on, see what feels comfortable on you, there's 50 different sleeves out there for a reason
crackem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackem View Post
Gappay and Schweikert have some good sleeves. Klin has some nice ones out there, i've found to be light and pretty durable. a friend of mine has ray allen compression sleeves that have to be 10+ years old easily on the flipside I went thru 3 of their trial sleeves in less than 5 years. I don't know what it means, other than I won't be spending money with Ray allen anymore

Try them on, see what feels comfortable on you, there's 50 different sleeves out there for a reason

That's interesting. We have a few rayallen sleeves that are about ten years old as well. Love them! I have a Schweikert that I liked for a while but after the rayallens, it feels like a heavy brick. My only complaint about the Klin is the long bite bar. I felt like when the dog was on the sleeve it was five feet in front of me. Not on my arm. I personally prefer short bite bar (bill?).

Edit: I have a Redline sleeve that only lasted about a year. Then the barrel completely collapsed. I only use it as a prop now.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

OP: sorry I dont have any I'm ready to part with at the moment.

This is my personal favorite: Belgium Arm

easy to angle, not too clunky. I like it personally. If you know a helper with some sleeves, try some on and see which you like better. It's like a guitar, you just have to try as many as possible and see what works best for you
Old 03-11-2014, 05:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Out of all your guys' response I noticed that everyone recommended a hard bite sleeve. Just wondering on your guys' opinion on soft bite sleeves?
LingLing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

IMO soft sleeves are good to add to the collection, but not completely necessary. I like having a little puppy sleeve for different things and they are cheap, but there is no need to rush a dog onto a sleeve. Many people don't realize that if a dog will bite a tug/pillow then it will transition to a sleeve. Sometimes in training we have to take a step back to fix/work on something and even then, I don't usually go to a softer sleeve, I will go back to a wedge or pillow. For every day training I like to use something between a hard trial sleeve and an intermediate. That's why I like the bt50.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

like mycobraracr, I don't have much use for a soft sleeve. I do targeting and bite development on leather then wedges and pillows and when they're ready move to a big dog sleeve. Most soft ones i've had aren't fun using with the dogs we train. I get sore enough, i don't need to intentionally add more when there is nothing to gain from it. Plus they probably wouldn't hold up well with heavy use.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have several bende sleeves. Very fast sleeves. I love them. They have a range of bite bars so you can get whatever you need. Soft is a relative term. There are truly very soft sleeves, and there are truly hard ones, and everything in between. We used to have a Klin that felt like the bitebar was made out of a carved piece of oak... very few dogs could work effectively on it

Sleeves are like golf clubs. Theres specific ones for specific purposes, and then everyone has their brand preference.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

when I think soft sleeve, I think no bite bar. just some padding with a handle at the end. i have a kiln that took some big bites to break it in. It was hard as a rock, but once it broke in, it's held up very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.